Blind auto eye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blind auto eye

Hello I have a 1997 Grand Marquis and my auto lamp comes on during the day and at night so I have to manually turn the headlights on and off I'd like to have the auto lamp work correctly any ideas where I could look is it an eye somewhere, or maybe the headlamp auto lamp switch? Any ideas would be appreciated thank you

Make sure there's not anything blocking the sensor on the dash. If that's clear, you may need a new sensor. It's rare that those go bad, but it has been known to happen.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

isn't it the little black bump sticking up out of the dash pad on these? Older ones it was under a small perforated area. Either way if you block the sensor the lights are always on.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I see a square sensor on the passenger side of the dashboard is this it also where can I purchase another one thank you

Comment

The sensor isn't on the passenger side. It should be on the driver side. Looks like a tiny speaker grill or a protruding black capsule with a red LED in it that blinks when the car is off. Don't remember if they got the capsule before 98 or not. But either way, the sensor should be on the left side of the dash.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Does the LCM play a part with the auto lamp system ? Hope not, That part is expensive.

Comment

guessing the autolamp at least sends signal to the LCM to turn the lights on. Not sure when the LCM became a thing though. I thought that was later.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I think 96 or 97... but they never really had issues until the whales and the cost cutting on the relays in them. The earlier ones were built better. Though connection corrosion has been known to cause issues with all of the systems.

Comment

I know I had several problems with my lights on the 96. when I first bought it. The ECM was bad. I was able to find a good one in a wrecking yard in CA.
                  They can be rebuilt. How good is a rebuild ? I don't know. I kept the bad one for a core exchange if needed.
                  Last edited by Mainemantom; 01-20-2021, 01:07 AM.

Comment

if its just dead relays in the LCM, seems to me that replacing them ought to make it plenty reliable if the replacements are as good or better than the originals were. Something tells me the original parts were likely not overkill for their application.

Comment

Working...
                    X