Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mechanic recomendation Baltimore MD

Hello
    I recently sold my beloved 89 Colony Park wagon to a young couple in Baltimore.
    Without going into details, I believe that they have an unscrupulous mechanic trying to work on their car.

First claim is that the exhaust is shot. I just replaced the cats 3 years ago. The pipes from the cat back were replaced 3 months ago.

I replaced intake manifold gaskets 4 years ago.

Their mechanic is claiming that will take $5000 to make it right. I think their mechanic guy is smokin' crack.

Please give me some recommendations for an honest mechanic to give these people.
    Willy

that guy is smoking crack.

There's a couple guys that either do or used to live in that area. I'll see if I can't get them on here to answer the question.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

There are mechanics out there who see younger people with older cars and try to take them on a trip to the cleaners. If I were them I would get a second opinion.

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
      2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
      2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

how far are they willing to travel?
        about 2 hrs ride from here.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I used to live in the Westminster area. Do they need the car to pass State Inspection or is this just basic maintenance?

If they don't mind driving out of Baltimore to get work done, I'd direct them to Lee Wellers ( http://leewellerauto.com ) if they need it to pass inspection. Or just slap Historic tags on it and be done with it.

If they don't mind driving farther, then head up to Tremont and visit Lincolnmania. The work will get done much cheaper if anything needs to be done. My Marquis and truck have made multiple trips up there for service.

sigpic
          - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

Oh man, I missed out!
            I lived in baltimore until 2 years ago,
            Bought both my colony park wagons from pennsylvania-- no one in baltimore had them :*(

shoot, there was a good exhaust shop by sparrows point can't remember it now.
            But what you're saying is it might not be an exhaust problem, anyway. Might be a mechanic problem.

We (my family) always used hollenshades. Damn they were expensive, but, they were always honest to a T and never misdiagnosed a thing. They'll inspect and do a general diagnosis for free, and while they might screw you a bit on price they'll be upfront about what they're doing, why it's needed, and how much they charge for it. No overselling, and no funny business. Later of course I used myself as my mechanic. Dunno if they do state inspections, could call and ask.
            They could take it there at least to get a real idea if it needs anything.

If they need a state inspection, Star Auto will treat them right, too (also in towson-- just where I lived). They won't nit pick the minor things, and they wont try to sell you. They won't lie FOR you, either, of course-- if your brakes are below spec they have to say so. But compare that to another shop where I first took my car, where my non-existent power steering leak (never fell a millimeter) 'failed' and I'd need a $100 uv dye test just as the appetizer to the main robbery, 'all my shocks were leaking' (they weren't) etc... there was a list. you get the picture. Star auto said I needed front brakes, rest passed. I brought it back after doing my brakes myself and i was done there.

Just for fun, mind posting a photo of the wagon you sold?
            Last edited by BerniniCaCO3; 07-24-2014, 11:42 PM.

Comment

Hello
              Thanks to All. All suggestions are welcome.
              Here are some pictures just before I sold the car.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4960.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	1276032Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4961.jpg
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	1276033Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4959.jpg
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	1276034

Comment

If you can get the car to Scotty (Lincolnmania) - do so! He and Ivan know their "shit" and you WILL NOT get ripped off!!!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Working...
                X