No announcement yet.

85.03 Crown Vic Coupe "CVGT"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think a 351 with gt40p's, and explorer cam would be a good cheap combo. It's what I plan on doing eventually, but only because I have all those parts laying around.

The TFS 1 cam doesn't have much low end torque. It doesn't shine until you get moving, essentially a better HO cam. Maybe the 351 will have more torque down low.
    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
      I think a 351 with gt40p's, and explorer cam would be a good cheap combo. It's what I plan on doing eventually, but only because I have all those parts laying around.

The TFS 1 cam doesn't have much low end torque. It doesn't shine until you get moving, essentially a better HO cam. Maybe the 351 will have more torque down low.
      That's what I'm assuming. I think it'll fit quite well to a 5 speed swap.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
      The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
      It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Function quite well WITH a 5 speed.*

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobcat View Post
          Function quite well WITH a 5 speed.*
          Oh it does....

The T5 and rear end on the other hand....
          2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
          1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Oh it does....

The T5 and rear end on the other hand....
            Yeah.. Was talking to Nick about that matter earlier today, actually..

"Power comes at a cost, engine and transmission wise"

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

I'm pretty sure every manual swapped box has either blown the T5 or 8.8. I've done both already....

The rear end was mostly my fault. Poly bushings and/or boxed in control arms or aftermarket rear controls arms are a necessity of a 5sp swap. Hell even the 98+ guys have problems once they go manual with the flimsy stock rear suspension.
              Last edited by pantera77; 07-24-2014, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Nick twisted the driveshaft slip yoke with his t5 :P

If you get, or build up a decent WC t5 I imagine you wouldn't have problems, they can be made to handle some power...with some money heh...

What exactly happened to your rear, I understand how the stock setup can cause lots of twisting and tweaking of the rear housing, but how would that cause it to explode internally? Just curious.

When you get this setup done (eventually) I'd like to know what your highway fuel milage is...
                -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Sometimes stock parts can be surprising.

After I bust something I always take a close look at the carnage. Was there any porosity, or material discontinuities in the area that appeared to contribute to the failure? Any premature wear.

Its never a fun thing, and whenever possible, I like to run robust equipment.

However, I did make probably 50+ sub 11 second passes in a G body Monte Carlo (2800 lb w/o driver), with a stock 7.5" GM 10 bolt, with 4.56s and a stock G80 unit. Stock axles (good studs), no c clip eliminators, no girdle, stock control arms. The car was an iron head 350 on spray that consistently ran 10.90s, and pulled the front tires (maybe 2'). Eventually the driveshaft let go, and took out the pinion.

When I add the third pedal to my coupe, I want to use a faceplated TKO. Alot of folks think faceplating ruins the driveability. It doesn't. I was skeptical, until I drove a '66 Chevelle 540/ faceplated 600; unreal shifts at full boogie. You do have to rev match/ double clutch around town, but for a pleasure street car, its a small price to pay.
                  **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                  **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                  **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                  **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

I'm pretty sure every manual swapped box has either blown the T5 or 8.8. I've done both already....
                    Has anyone tried a 9" rear in a Panther? I haven't seen one in my searching. That is the plan for my 5spd Tudor.

Bobcat: I dig the grille/headlight treatment! I may have to do that on my Tudor....
                    RyPow
                    1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX sedan - The "Sand Box" - 73K, towing package
                    1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX Tutone Tudor - '96 Explorer 5.0 + 5spd swap in the works
                    1985 Lincoln Town Car Cartier - previously owned by "navguy12" from thelincolnforum.net
                    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited, 102k, daily driver
                    2006 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, 115k, winter beats
                    1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car, 42k
                    2012 F-150 5.0L 4x4, HD payload pkg (towing/hauling)
                    2015 Toyota RAV4 XLE AWD (better half's)

Comment

I wouldn't waste my time with a 9". Realisticly the cost of doing something like that would far surpass building an 8.8. Call up any axle manufacturer with the length of you axles and they can make them . Plus all the extra power loss of lugging around a 9"
                      1985 LTD Country Squire on Jackstands
                      1987 Mark VII xpipe, mac mufflers, 125 shot
                      2006 Grand Marquis ls 47k miles

Comment

An 8.8 with a girdle and 31 spline axles should hold up decently. Axle hop is the biggest killer.

Comment

Food for thought,
                          Buddy of mine has a 91 notch mustang.
                          .030 351w eagle rotating assembly srp piston
                          10-1 compression edelbrock performer rpm heads
                          And the edelbrock performer rpm efi intake
                          Tko500 trans, over the winter put in a tubular k
                          And aarmsbhai a bolt in 6 point full interior

Car did weigh around 3700 with driver 190 lbs

Stock 8.8 with a 3.73 gear best pass was 11.78
                          Mind you this car has been together for about 5 Years mainly street driven but gets beat on quite a bit
                          And that's on mt et street 26x10.
                          I'm sure that car is hitting the rear end alot harder than a 180 hp crown vic is regardless of the weight difference
                          Like Pantera77 said you should be more than fine with a set of axles and a girdle
                          1985 LTD Country Squire on Jackstands
                          1987 Mark VII xpipe, mac mufflers, 125 shot
                          2006 Grand Marquis ls 47k miles

Comment

Well the plan is.

I'm going to get the engine in (try not to blow the AOD from the torque, assuming it'll be fine for awhile.) when I goto scottfest I may try to find a aero CV and pull the axle for the box, meaning i'll have it powder coated (hopefully.) put 3.55s in with a trac loc and girdle. I'm also hoping to find an aluminum driveshaft for it aswell. I doubt it'll blow the rear up but idk.

Side note. Nick's 8.8 was fine with his T5 swap, he just twisted the splines on the driveshaft from excessive care and affection.

But in the end, I'm not planning to drive the car until I've gone through most of it IE: Suspension, drivetrain and some electrical. I'm not in a major rush, just trying to get it driving before winter. I'm trying to do it all correct and not mess around, too much.

In the end though, It'll get beat on quite a bit, quite alot so I've got to keep that in mind, I guess.

Edit:
                            I may just skip over getting a T5 since it'd take about the same cost to have that built as just getting a low mile T56 with some quick number peddling. That ways with the T56 I've got two over drives and room to grow with performance since they're rated for 600hp from a late model F-Body. Hopes and dreams..
                            Last edited by Bobcat; 07-25-2014, 05:17 PM.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

stock AOD should handle 350hp/tq no prob. Rebuild with the upgraded parts (2-inch wide OD band and A servo or better and a shift kit) should handle about 400hp/tq. The nice thing about it all, is a good torque converter will soak up the initial shock and preserve the u-joints and other links in the system up to a point. Manuals don't do that... but manuals put more power down since they don't have that buffer.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              Originally posted by gadget73
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                                stock AOD should handle 350hp/tq no prob. Rebuild with the upgraded parts (2-inch wide OD band and A servo or better and a shift kit) should handle about 400hp/tq. The nice thing about it all, is a good torque converter will soak up the initial shock and preserve the u-joints and other links in the system up to a point. Manuals don't do that... but manuals put more power down since they don't have that buffer.
                                I put most of that into consideration when I thought about putting in the 351. I don't plan to spend any money on the AOD and if it blows up then it'll just wait until manual swap..

Edit:
                                I may just skip over getting a T5 since it'd take about the same cost to have that built as just getting a low mile T56 with some quick number peddling. That ways with the T56 I've got two over drives and room to grow with performance since they're rated for 600hp from a late model F-Body. Hopes and dreams..
                                Looks like I'm sticking with the T5 and I'll just try to find one or upgrade my own to what I need. Would a TR3650 bolt to a 5.8? Or is that a Modular motor transmission and has a computer and all..?
                                __________________________________________________

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Working...
                                X