No announcement yet.

85.03 Crown Vic Coupe "CVGT"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Me and the electric metal glue gun don't get on so well. I just can't see it. I can torch weld, not amazingly well, but it comes out much better than MIG does for me. I can see the fire.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Gadget, can't see even with the auto-darkening mask? I believe Scott has also mentioned the same issue... And yes, you are both correct, when MIG welding you want an external light source, and a good one at that - most folks wouldn't think it makes a difference given the intensity of its light is nothing compared to that of the the weld itself, but it does helps. I got these all-glass LED bulbs for the drop lights for that very reason, anything plastic will succumb from weld spatter sooner or later, the glass ones just don't care, and are bright enough to where you can actually see wtf you're doing.
      The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
      The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

I don't seem to have any issue with that and my mask. I just can't weld very good.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Don't have an auto mask. I don't have a welder here, and the Luddite I work with/for "doesn't trust them" so basically they are verboten. I probably shouldn't say I can't see it so much as I can't see anything else. I get one bright spot and have no idea where I'm supposed to be going. I have the same trouble driving at night. External light helps, but I still have a lot of problems with it.

Between that and the dead liner in the MIG at work causing wire feed problems, I get so frustrated with it that I only bother if I absolutely have to. If the stick welder wasn't such a pain to drag out, I'd try that. At least that doesn't have feed issues. No idea if I'd have better luck with that though. Never tried.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            If the stick welder wasn't such a pain to drag out, I'd try that. At least that doesn't have feed issues. No idea if I'd have better luck with that though. Never tried.
            If you don't have steady hand, it will have "feeding" issues as well, lol. I have to break the electrodes in half and then I can kinda-sorta get something welded together. That said, pertaining to the thread we're derailing here, stick is nicer for welding on frames that are thicker than 1/8". Standard box Panther frame is right around 1/8" thick typically, I'd imagine the whale one is about the same? Welds nice with MIG on the single-layer areas, but where they overlap if you wanna get both layers for extra strength you either gotta crank up the MIG heat or break out the stick.
            The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
            The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

"drink a beer, grow a beard, cut it, grind it, weld it back"

Words to live by, gents.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
              The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
              It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Still trying to find a driveshaft yoke that will fit my stupid fucking transmission.

That and life is the major hold up.

Aside from the G'note of parts that need to be ordered.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Put new weatherstripping on it. Found out that foxbody door trim from LMR fits perfectly on a coupe panther. https://lmr.com/item/LRS-20708A/1979...y-Weatherstrip

Got two new ball joints on the driver's side. MOOG of course. Need to get new struts and then I can put the new springs in it.

It's been unable to roll, so once it's able to again. I'm going to put it on a trailer and bring it down to the shop that's going to build my driveshaft. They can't find a yoke that will fit my transmission, so I'm going to bring it down there; so that they can test it. Since apparently it's got a Viper mainshaft. They are currently building the one for my truck, since that decided to wear out (F350 Powerstroke) and that's costing me $450. So hopefully the Vic one will be cheaper.

I haven't really been working on it since I'm away almost everyday during the week. It's also not interesting me that much, currently. But it'll be driving at some point soon.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Mustang door seals are the same as 2 door Panther? Interesting. Wonder if that same stuff could be cut into appropriate length for 4 door models too. What did you do for corners, just miter joints and glue?

Comment

How does the weatherstripping fit around the top corner where on Panthers it's a sharp molded section?

Comment

In for pics and more info on how the door weatherstripping fit.
                        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                          Mustang door seals are the same as 2 door Panther? Interesting. Wonder if that same stuff could be cut into appropriate length for 4 door models too. What did you do for corners, just miter joints and glue?
                          Corners fit seemingly fine. Not the tight joint that is there, factory. But enough to seal. I wouldn't doubt that it would fit.

Originally posted by Mr Bean View Post
                          How does the weatherstripping fit around the top corner where on Panthers it's a sharp molded section?
                          Nothing

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post

In for pics and more info on how the door weatherstripping fit.
                          It slid on, didn't even cut any off. (From what I recall)

Update:

Car runs and drives, is tuned for 8-12PSI. Big steam.
                          It's got a blown head gasket now, which is promptly blamed on my faulty torque wrench. But it should be fixed soon enough. I don't know if I'll drive it much this year, I'm barely home and the car still needs a good bit of work and lots of money before I want to show it off. Adam @ Pops Racing did the tuning. I towed the car out to his house in Rochester NY this past weekend. Stayed with the Ryan Snyder family which was quite the pleasant experience.

Me "So do you think it's at least a 12 second car?"

Adam "12 seconds? More like 10-11 second"

Me "Perfect, so it should at least do burnouts"

Adam "Uh.. Yeah.."

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                            Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Nice to hear from ya. Did the head gasket let go while being tuned?
                              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                                Nice to hear from ya. Did the head gasket let go while being tuned?
                                It showed signs before I brought it up there. But I wasn't about to change a head gasket the day before.

So I just sent it.

I mean it wasn't that bad..

http://www.americanmuscle.com/door-w...-kit-7993.html - For anyone interested in the weatherstripping. Would probably take two orders $50 to get 4 of them for a peasant 4 door/sedan.
                                __________________________________________________

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Working...
                                X