VicCrownVic's 1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks!
    I remember when you had that '97, you had it for a couple of weeks, maybe?

I do have an ARA3 PCM that I could install if I want a different transmission experience. With 2.73 rear gear the speedo will be way off, but my Ford Speed Dial might fix that.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

This car got a quick power wash to get all the dirt, pollen, bird crap, and dead worms off. Every time I drive this car in/after rain it ends up with dead worms all over the lower quarter panel/bumper cover. Power washed the top to make sure it was ready for the 303 Fabric Guard, then power washed the other 2 cars while this one dried.

303 Fabric Guard applied. Used most of the 32 oz bottle.
      Then washed the windows to get Fabric Guard overspray off.
      Then gave it a coat of wax.

I only took one picture as I was going into the house for the evening.
      Attached Files
      Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Oops, I deleted my keyless entry fob.

I downloaded FORScan and was poking around with it. The car came to me with one fob but I found there were 2 learned. Deleted the first one and mine still worked. Then I wanted to see if I could remove and relearn my fob. Deleting worked fine, now it won't learn. I get an error message stating the service procedure was interrupted. Hopefully it's due to needing the extended license. I'll try again when I get the free 2 month trial extended licence. As long as I relearn it before the wife finds out it's all good. Also, apparently '98 is the only year without a manual learn procedure.

The car came to me with one key so I have another Securilock key on the way. Once I have that cut it looks like I should be able to learn it with FORScan, but that requires the extended license. If things go bad I suppose I'll just throw the ARA3 in and make sure not to kill the stock torque converter with WOT runs. Since I'm familiar with doing this sort of thing on GM products I knew better than to mess with the actual key without 2.
        Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
          Oops, I deleted my keyless entry fob.

I downloaded FORScan and was poking around with it. The car came to me with one fob but I found there were 2 learned. Deleted the first one and mine still worked. Then I wanted to see if I could remove and relearn my fob. Deleting worked fine, now it won't learn. I get an error message stating the service procedure was interrupted. Hopefully it's due to needing the extended license. I'll try again when I get the free 2 month trial extended licence. As long as I relearn it before the wife finds out it's all good. Also, apparently '98 is the only year without a manual learn procedure.

The car came to me with one key so I have another Securilock key on the way. Once I have that cut it looks like I should be able to learn it with FORScan, but that requires the extended license. If things go bad I suppose I'll just throw the ARA3 in and make sure not to kill the stock torque converter with WOT runs. Since I'm familiar with doing this sort of thing on GM products I knew better than to mess with the actual key without 2.
          The owners manual should tell you how to program a fob regardless of how many keys are programmed to the car. You can program additional keys as long as you have two already programmed. Strangely my LSE has both original keys but I don't think they did a valet key because both keys unlock the glove box and trunk, whereas my '95 MGM, '01 TC, and '03 TC had a valet key that would unlock the drivers door and start the car but not get you into the glove box or trunk. I also don't have the locking trunk button that every other aero/whale I've seen has had.
          2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

Comment

Owner's manual says take it to the dealer. For '99+ only one key is needed to learn a new fob. Key it on and off 8 times ending in key on engine off (run/service mode) and on the 8th time the doors should lock to indicate learn more. Apparently from what I've found this is not the case for '98, no manual way to learn fobs.

I got my extended 2 month free trial license for FORScan but it's a bit late tonight, so I'll give it a go tomorrow.
            Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Owner's manual says take it to the dealer. For '99+ only one key is needed to learn a new fob. Key it on and off 8 times ending in key on engine off (run/service mode) and on the 8th time the doors should lock to indicate learn more. Apparently from what I've found this is not the case for '98, no manual way to learn fobs.

I got my extended 2 month free trial license for FORScan but it's a bit late tonight, so I'll give it a go tomorrow.
              That's strange, I programmed my own fobs for my '95. Then again maybe the instructions came with the fobs and weren't in the manual until later. I feel like on the '95 I had to do something with the keyless entry keypad as opposed to the ignition on/off thing I had to do with the '01, '02, and '03.

Edit: Found it!

Mercury Grand Marquis 1995 Remote

1. Enter 5-digit permanent entry code into the keyless entry keypad.
              2. Within 5 seconds of pressing last button of code, press the 1/2 button. All doors will lock then
              unlock confirming you are in programming mode.
              3. Press any button on first Keyless Remote within 5 seconds of pressing the 1/2 button. Locks will
              cycle to indicate successful programming.
              4. If you have more Keyless Remotes (Including any existing remotes), Press
              any button on the second keyless remote within 5 seconds of previous remote. Locks will cycle again
              to indicate successful programming. (If the keypad light goes out before all remotes are
              programmed the entire process must be repeated).
              5. Press the 7/8 and the 9/0 buttons simultaneously on the keypad to exit program mode.

That ignition on/off thing they did later was a pain. My '03 TC had like 5 things you could program off that. Fobs, how long the autolamps stayed on, how long the interior lights stayed on, how long the auxiliary power stayed on when the ignition was off, memory seats, it was a pain. The pre-'03 autolamp timer knob is much nicer.
              Last edited by mercurygm88; 05-09-2020, 03:11 PM.
              2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

Comment

I did try that this morning, before I found in the '98 CV/MGM Ford Service Manual where it says this procedure is no longer available and the only way to program fobs is with the Ford system. So it appears the internet is correct, there is not a manual learn procedure. Worst case scenario I'll end up getting a 2 day FJDS subscription. I have other options to explore first. When I can get over to my uncle's place I'll see if his tool can do the fob learn. I'm also wondering if I grab a '99 DDM if it can learn fobs following that procedure or the key on 8 times method.
                Last edited by VicCrownVic; 05-09-2020, 03:47 PM.
                Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

I did try that this morning, before I found in the '98 CV/MGM Ford Service Manual where it says this procedure is no longer available and the only way to program fobs is with the Ford system. So it appears the internet is correct, there is not a manual learn procedure. Worst case scenario I'll end up getting a 2 day FJDS subscription. I have other options to explore first. When I can get over to my uncle's place I'll see if his tool can do the fob learn. I'm also wondering if I grab a '99 DDM if it can learn fobs following that procedure or the key on 8 times method.
                  So what your saying is that procedure only worked from 1995-1997? Because I know for a fact I did it on my '95. Seems odd they'd get rid of it in '98 but bring it back by '01.

Comment

Correct, and if everything I have read is correct they brought it back in '99. Must have been too big of a PITA. Also I've read info from a few sources that '98 model year had a mid year change. It sounds like early '98 was the same system as '95-'97 while late '98 was the same as '99+ with the exception of not having the manual fob learn capability. One source claimed build date of 2/98 is the break point, but I know for certain that my car with build date if 1/98 has the later system.
                    Key learn on the other hand is possible, according to my owner's manual, if I had 2 learned keys, but I don't. So, once I get my Ford blank and have it cut I'll have to see if FORScan can do it. If not, check with my uncle, and if that isn't an option get the FJDS subscription.
                    Last edited by VicCrownVic; 05-09-2020, 08:51 PM.
                    Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Your '98 should last many years, if you undercoat it.
                      '79 Continental Town Car
                      '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                      '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

That's the plan, but I don't think the place that I want to take it to is open yet. I have a power washer and plan on getting a neat attachment for that to wash the underside, so might do that until September-October time frame and get the undercoating done for the year at that time. I've been under Derek's car so I have firsthand knowledge of how well Krown works. Even better is that they are opening a new location even closer to home, so I'll have no excuses once that location opens.
                        Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Here is some neat info: https://moduleexperts.com/ford-pats-relearn-procedure/. According to the PDF on that page (https://wh2kwcoqpe3ay6wb3tnxavix-wpe...ATS-System.pdf) there is a midyear break for Contour/Mystique that matches the 2/98 dates. Perhaps other sources confused that with the CV/MGM which would explain why my 1/98 built does not fit that supposed midyear break of 2/98.

Also it looks like swapping a '99 DDM should be no problem as far as I can tell. Pats system is completely separate so nothing to worry about there. Also the stock unlock code on my trunk lid arm will no longer be valid, which might be a good thing security-wise (if someone in the know somehow read my sticker).
                          Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Here is some neat info: https://moduleexperts.com/ford-pats-relearn-procedure/. According to the PDF on that page (https://wh2kwcoqpe3ay6wb3tnxavix-wpe...ATS-System.pdf) there is a midyear break for Contour/Mystique that matches the 2/98 dates. Perhaps other sources confused that with the CV/MGM which would explain why my 1/98 built does not fit that supposed midyear break of 2/98.

Also it looks like swapping a '99 DDM should be no problem as far as I can tell. Pats system is completely separate so nothing to worry about there. Also the stock unlock code on my trunk lid arm will no longer be valid, which might be a good thing security-wise (if someone in the know somehow read my sticker).
                            I've heard people mention that before but I really don't think there's that many people in the know anymore. I've met a lot of people who owned these cars from new and outside of this forum none of them knew about the code location in the trunk. I imagine a lot of the people who did have probably forgotten it now. Mine isn't there anymore anyway, I unfortunately had to pull the drivers door panel to get my code. It wasn't as big of a deal as it could have been and was easier to get the panel back on than in a box. But I get an uneasy feeling about pulling some stuff apart, I wasn't a huge fan of the idea of doing the blend door actuator until I did it and realized it's more time consuming than anything. Other than that socket and extension I lost somewhere in the dash.

Comment

Ok, I tried my hand at cutting my own key... (didn't feel like going from place to place until I found one that would cut a blank they didn't supply), thought for sure that I had it FUBARed so I ordered 2 more keys with Mercury logos for not much more than the one Ford logo key.

I ended up making a template jig out of an old laptop keyboard metal tray/backing plate. Once I did this it was obvious that my initial rough dremel cuts may have been a bit much. The idea was to cut out some of the big chunks with the dremel then file it down the rest of the way.
                              I've been messing with the cheapest needle file set from HF along with my home-made template jig the past couple of days and was beyond surprised when I was able to turn my ignition lock cylinder and turn my door lock. SUCCESS!!! (part 1, still have to program)

Knowing the mistakes I made with the first key, the Mercury keys should turn out a bit better.

My home-made template jig (edited to not show my entire key cut):

I used the ridge of the tray to line up the center ridge of the key, used a little 1" C-clamp to clamp my original key down and file the plate down to match the key. Put my blank in and filed it to match the template as much as possible. The ridge of the

Now to program the keys. Since I only have one original key I'll have to reprogram the PATS which will erase all keys then they re-add keys. FORScan didn't seem to know what to do with the '98 DDM to reprogram remote fobs, even tough it had no problem deleting fobs, so I'm hoping PATS programming doesn't screw up. If it does, and my if my uncle can't do it, I guess I'll be forced to get the FJDS subscription.

After work today I went out to try the ARA3 PCM since I thought I had read somewhere that the ARA3 would bypass PATS. That does not seem to be the case since the car would not start with any key (original, mechanical non-chipped, or new un-programmed key). So either I didn't do something right or the internet was wrong. I'll have to do some digging to see if I can find that info, it was a few years ago that I came across that info.
                              Attached Files
                              Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

... After work today I went out to try the ARA3 PCM since I thought I had read somewhere that the ARA3 would bypass PATS. That does not seem to be the case since the car would not start with any key (original, mechanical non-chipped, or new un-programmed key). So either I didn't do something right or the internet was wrong. I'll have to do some digging to see if I can find that info, it was a few years ago that I came across that info.
                                Are you sure the ARA3 PCM is good? My understanding from what I've read is that CVPI PCMs do not have PATS functionality and so any key that fits could, in theory, be used. I have been using a 2000 CVPI PCM in my 2000 MGM, and it makes the PATS light go spastic for awhile every time I start the engine, so there must be some kind of PATS issue, but IDK if using a cut key that had not been programmed would necessarily work. I don't see why it wouldn't, but IDK for sure.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
                                mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Working...
                                X