Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2009 CV inertia switch (fuel cutoff) tripping when car sits for a while??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2009 CV inertia switch (fuel cutoff) tripping when car sits for a while??

Got a call from a buddy that has someone at work with an 09 CV. Said the inertia switch trips when it sits for a while. Not sure if it happens while driving or not, didn't get a lot of info from the short phone call.

Is this a known issue? My 03 has yet to trip itself and I've never tried smacking it. Wondering if the switch itself just may be weak?
    These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Sounds more like an asshole neighbor backing into the car on a regular basis.

Unless there is something broken with the switch, they're fairly difficult to trip accidentally. If they were, it would pop every time you hit a pothole.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yea, I kinda wondered that. I've seen posts online about some switches getting tripped by shutting the trunk too hard but nothing much more on it. No recalls that I can find. I have to get more details on how/when this happens. Hell, I have to smack the crap out of the one on my 84 to get it to trip so I can't imagine it just tripping itself sitting still, unless it's a broken switch or bad wiring to it.
      These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

My 06 didn't even trip when someone slammed on their brakes and I hit them.

It did trip when I drifted it into a rock.

Man do I miss that car.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
        The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
        It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

My 92's tripped when I cut a corner too close and drove over a particularly vicious rumble strip. But I can't imagine one just tripping for no reason... let us know if you find out what the issue is!
          Back in the saddle again!

2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor in Unimaginative Bureaucratic Brown
          Bone stock... for now.

Comment

my 88 has never tripped and I even have truck shocks and cargo springs on that one and most of you know how many times that car has been hit. (the others haven't tripped either)

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

My '89 has never tripped. Pot holes, getting run into, slamming lids, nothing.
              My '08 has never tripped, and it also gets driven like it is stolen, add in all the rail road crossings in the area and it keeps on going.

What gadget said, somebody is probably running into it. If the switch was prone to tripping, it would do it while driving.

Alex.

Comment

I thought I had one go bad once, but it turns out the plug was dicked. Popping and re-setting the switch joggled the connection enough to make it run again. I did have to replace the unit though, the body got slightly melted from the bad connection. The inner workings never gave up. Its also never tripped other than when I have purposely tripped it.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                X