No announcement yet.

1992 Mercury Grand Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, I contacted ARP and they told me the correct torque values for the bolt, then I asked them about the one on their website and they told me that it should have still held. They are blaming the oil pump to be at fault, bad casting?. GREAT . Either way not even going to fight about the pump. Decided to bite the bill. I bought this pump about a year ago. Either way it should be installed this Wednesday or Thursday. Now to contact the machine shop to see what can be done about the scratched head. I forgot about posting pictures about it. Will do tomorrow.
    1992 Mercury Grand Marquis.
    Upgrades: Big Brake Upgrade, digital dash, Custom ignition Switch system, sequential tail lights, Teflon Fuel lines, LED interior lights, rear end rebuild with limited slip.
    Future upgrades: 5.0 swap, 4r70w swap, aluminum driveshaft.
    sigpic

Comment

If by any chance people need the ARP torque specs these are the specs they told me.
      For kit 150-6901
      Oil Pump to block 35-40 ft-lbs.
      Pick up tube to Oil pump more than 10ft-lbs, max being 18 ft-lbs.

Online it stated 45 and 24. Just in case if anyone ever uses arp bolts. I would have used the factory ones but I lost them.
      Upgrades: Big Brake Upgrade, digital dash, Custom ignition Switch system, sequential tail lights, Teflon Fuel lines, LED interior lights, rear end rebuild with limited slip.
      sigpic

Comment

Damage of the pump can be seen at the 4 minute mark. Will take pictures now to post them.
        sigpic

Comment

Take a file and run across the mating surface of the pump and pickup. If its got high spots, the file will show them. If the bolt was over-torqued, I'd expect it to break. A high spot on the middle of the mating surface will snap the ears off though. That pickup ain't much, its just a steel tube with a flange welded on. A booger on the weld or a warp on that flange will make it give you troubles. I'd blame that before the pump casting since the gasket surface on that has to be milled flat after casting.

What head surface is scratched?
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            Take a file and run across the mating surface of the pump and pickup. If its got high spots, the file will show them. If the bolt was over-torqued, I'd expect it to break. A high spot on the middle of the mating surface will snap the ears off though. That pickup ain't much, its just a steel tube with a flange welded on. A booger on the weld or a warp on that flange will make it give you troubles. I'd blame that before the pump casting since the gasket surface on that has to be milled flat after casting.

What head surface is scratched?
            Will do that on the new pump. Don't have a picture of the head but the one for the passenger one got scratched on the mating surface. The scratch goes from the combustion chamber to one of the coolant passages. I will post a picture today.
            sigpic

Comment

Picture of the Oil Pump

Picture of the cylinder head

Still not sure what exactly happened with the cylinder head because I was always careful where I would place the cylinder head when I was working on it.
              Last edited by pivichot; 02-07-2017, 11:55 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

That sucks man.
                I see from the video that you're working outside... just think about people like me without a garage waiting for snow/freezing temperatures to go away before I can get back to working on stuff that isn't absolutely necessary and hopefully that silver lining can make things brighter.

Good luck.
                Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Iron is not all that hard, its much easier to scratch than you'd probably like.
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
                    That sucks man.
                    I see from the video that you're working outside... just think about people like me without a garage waiting for snow/freezing temperatures to go away before I can get back to working on stuff that isn't absolutely necessary and hopefully that silver lining can make things brighter.

Good luck.
                    I understand your point and I am glad I live in Miami for that reason. These hiccups can occur in any project. I know it is going to be worth it in the end.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                      Iron is not all that hard, its much easier to scratch than you'd probably like.
                      Honestly did not know that. I would have thought it was stronger.
                      sigpic

Comment

You could always resurface them yourself...

I love this guy's channel. He has some seemly crazy but very effective home brew mechanic stuffs!
                        1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                        Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Originally posted by Grand Marquis GT View Post
                          You could always resurface them yourself...

I love this guy's channel. He has some seemly crazy but very effective home brew mechanic stuffs!
                          I have seen that video, but I wouldn't feel comfortable on these heads. On some cheap heads I would try them but after spending a few more that I would like, I really don't feel comfortable.
                          sigpic

Comment

Honestly thats not a bad way to do it. For a few thou, lapping it on paper works just fine.

Comment

Current update on the Mercury. Nothing has been done. Don't know if I mentioned that the transmission was assembled. Haven't done much videos. Mainly been saving up money to pay insurance and bills. Good thing is I finally got a job with my degree. Which means I will steer the build somewhat different. For now it will get the engine and transmission combo but the engine and transmission will only be for a year or two max. This will let me see how I can do a turbo build with the AC and components in place. Once that is done I will be going all out on the new engine. Bad part is I will only be limited to weekends or after work. But there is a new project also coming along. I will make a new build thread for that one. The new project is a 2000 Crown Victoria and that will be my daily driver. Main goal for that one is at least 400 hp. That will be accomplished by using a supercharger. And hopefully in two years the Mercury will be aimed towards over 500hp. I will take my time with that build. But for now the current build should be done by September.
                              sigpic

Comment

Congrats on the job and hopefully a bump in income that goes with it.

Comment

Working...
                                X