No announcement yet.

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The dash ones are usually toast anyway so if I have to buy new its not exactly a big deal. I don't know if the dash uses the same odd mounting arrangement boxes do. If it does I'll have to find or make the adapters.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It's helping me anyway, I've got too much of this shit for one person. Just give my lazy ass time to locate & package stuff.
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
        The best bit of advice for peace of mind and low blood pressure I can give anyone is to put down the sword when it comes to stuff like this. Its a great feeling when you no longer feel the need to have to deliver a clever punch line or last word, whether it be in defense or just to be that smarmy guy who does stuff like that. Bottom line is, you wouldn't do x, y or z if you didn't like it or approve so unless they're dear to you, what does their opinion matter? Why argue or debate with people you'll never see again or can't stand? Let it goooo-ooooo LoL.
        I agree. But, I do have an ace up my sleeve. My Town Car has legitimately gotten 31mpg on more than 1 occasion. That usually shuts those people up because they all assume its some gas guzzler that gets 5mpg. More times than not, people ask me about the cars in a positive way if they say anything at all. I've had a lot of older guys driving newer Lincolns or Mercurys start reminiscing about their old Town Car or Grand Marquis and then ask me about mine at the gas station.
        -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
        1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
        1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
        1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Comment

No no, don't even engage! Resist that urge, even if you've got an ace up your sleeve. It's not like these people spread the word or anything so you'll always be defending yourself..
          I've heard the same lines.. My responses, if I respond to them at all when it goes there, are "Oh, I dunno." or "I just put gas in it." Even though my "ace" if you will could be something along the lines of "Doesn't matter, I still pay less for gas a month than you do on your car payment," or the honest actual figure of the MPG. It just amazes me how all these people are essentially the same, they really are lemmings... You could stop in Cleveland, here something and then stop in Sacramento and hear the same thing...

Comment

I've gotten the fuel hog thing in the Towncar because people assume it has a 460. People think I'm joking when I tell them it has a 302. The ~18 mpg mine manages isn't impressive by any stretch either.

The Mark VII I would randomly get people volunteering to tell me how much of a piece of shit they are because of that horrible air suspension and ABS brake setup.

Never quite got why people would go up to a stranger and start off a conversation with "your car is such a piece of shit for all these reasons". Like fuck you, seriously.

Unrelated, some interior pics now that it is approximately assembled. I also "fixed" the sun damaged rear seat leather. It crumbles off of there if you poke at it and since I don't have a Harry Potter on hand to do a "repairo" on it, this is what I can do for 4 bucks.

The glovebox lock is kind of cool. Instead of the usual rotate to lock setup that most things have, this one you just put the trunk key in and slide the release lever to the left. To unlock it, put the key back in and slide it one click to the right. All the way to the right releases the door. Trunk and fuel door release buttons are inside.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by gadget73; 12-11-2017, 02:22 PM.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

This is where I was thinking of hiding some instrumentation. I don't smoke so the ashtray does me no good but it has that cool door that will hide things.

Click image for larger version

Name:	center stack open.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	1282765

Name:	center stack closed.jpg
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	1282766

Not sure how well it shows but under the radio it has some damage to the trim panel. Some monkey must have been "adjusting" the radio with a screwdriver or something. I may see if I can flatten that out a little bit. I do approve of the stock radio look though, its fitting. Doesn't sound awful but the rear speakers have no highs and the front speakers are blown so I can't really use them. Should sound acceptable once it has front speakers that work.
              Last edited by gadget73; 12-11-2017, 02:18 PM.

Comment

So retro inside. Way cool.
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  I've gotten the fuel hog thing in the Towncar because people assume it has a 460. People think I'm joking when I tell them it has a 302. The ~18 mpg mine manages isn't impressive by any stretch either.

The Mark VII I would randomly get people volunteering to tell me how much of a piece of shit they are because of that horrible air suspension and ABS brake setup.

Never quite got why people would go up to a stranger and start off a conversation with "your car is such a piece of shit for all these reasons". Like fuck you, seriously...
                  My boss assumed my car had a 460 in it too. These people just make themselves out to be such idiots I almost feel bad for them. LoL yeah, nothing like people insulting your car without directly insulting it. "My dad had one of 'em 'ere cars. Never could keep it out of the shop.."

Comment

Its very 1980s with all the VFD's in use. There are 7 in the car all told, 3 in the cluster, one in the tripminder, one in the radio, and one in the climate control plus another in the overhead compass/temperature display.

Comment

That dash board looks awesome. Really funny to think that a good number of those features disappeared a few years later on many cars until recently (Average MPG, things like that) since digital clusters are really coming back, albeit a considerably more modern package and a far departure from our fluorescent vacuum tube displays.

My Cars:
                      -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                      -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                      -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                      -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

The controls along the side of the seats may it seem like a cockpit.
                        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

the controls actually make good sense, very much not like the Mark VII. Door has the usual window, lock and mirror stuff. The joystick in the middle is seat position.

Mark VII is exactly the opposite, the door has seat controls, the middle has window and mirror controls. WTF they were thinking there I have no idea.

definitely a lot of features in this thing. It was an awfully complicated car for 1984.

Comment

Starter died, then I managed to beat enough sense into it so it would start again. Got the car in the garage, got the starter out. This may actually be the most difficult thing I've ever done a starter in. The bolts go in from the transmission side, best access is from underneath using stupidly long extensions. There is a rear bracket that is also the engine ground point so both the grounds and positive feeds all have to be undone in order to remove the bracket in order extract the starter. The dipstick comes out, and the starter has to be rolled around in there to get the bracket off the starter side after removing it from the engine block. It will come out of there if you screw around with it enough and get it positioned just so, but its very much a blacksmith's puzzle.

This is what the innards look like. Fairly conventional gear reducer starter, but its not a permanant magnet type like I expected. This is a conventional series wound motor with field coils around the outside of the starter body. The failure mode is pretty typical, the brushes are completely worn out. The car has 182k on it according to the odometer and I have no special reason to believe this is not an original starter. if its not original, its definitely been in there a long time. Solenoid is recent though. The thick pile of dirt inside is what remains of the brushes.

Name:	starter 2.jpg
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	1282783

Name:	bendix fork 2.jpg
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	1282784

Name:	gearcase.jpg
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	1282785

Name:	dirt depth.jpg
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	1282786

Name:	brushes 3.jpg
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	1282787

Comment

It's an old diesel, they tend to be hard to start when it gets stupid cold outside. The #1 "solution" to that is keep cranking till the high compression builds up enough heat to light off on at least several cylinders, then you crank it some more till you have more than half of them firing. It's very hard on the starter, with the older Ford diesels you wanna keep the cranking cycles to 15 seconds or less. On top of that, if this thing has a mechanical lift pump instead of low-pressure electric one, cranking is also how you get the air purged out of the injection pump and high-pressure lines. So yeah, starters do tend to have it rough with these old things, yours being worn to near nothing is actually pretty normal I'd say.
                              The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                              The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

It does have an electric lift pump.
                                Interesting it's a motorcraft starter, I wonder if it crosses to anything else.
                                2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                                2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                                2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                                1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Working...
                                X