No announcement yet.

1982 Ford LTD-S 351W Police Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah, headers, 2.25" mustang catted h-pipe, and 2.5" all the way to the tails. No idea if the carb I put on there helped at all, possibly. it's only...350cfm i believe.

I would love to see what yours would put down. the 351 police engine apparently had a "High Output" cam. so it would be interesting to see what a civi 351 puts out, especially a post '84 one
    Last edited by Brown_Muscle; 08-14-2014, 10:40 PM.
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

From everything I've been able to find, I should have the same cam as the police 85's. Not sure if 82's had the earlier smaller cam.

I will say that, assuming you were locked up in 3rd and all the corrections were reasonable, you are putting down 10-15 more HP than I'd come up with from my engine sim software I had a couple years ago. I had my setup (variable venturi carb, underdrive pulleys, otherwise like yours) showing as about 203hp to the crank. Conversion factor has you somewhere around 215hp. In other words, unless I really screwed something up in my inputs your engine is making strong numbers for what it is. 30HP+ from a non-performance carb swap, shorties, and exhaust is a killer gain.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

The stock engine was horribly crippled in terms of airflow, both in and out. I can believe that much gain from letting it breathe a bit.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          The stock engine was horribly crippled in terms of airflow, both in and out. I can believe that much gain from letting it breathe a bit.
          Yeah, now that I think about it the discrepancy is probably that I had to handicap the engine elsewhere to get stock HP down to 180 in the simulator. There was no input for just how uneven and pinched-down the exhaust manifolds are, just an average internal diameter. Even with probably giving the stock exhaust too much credit, the simulator always spat out 17-20hp on fairly stock 351w's by going to the BBK mustang shorties and a 2.5" catted system. Either way, good to know that the mods give strong gains and the holley 2 barrel swap makes at least as much power as the stock carb.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
          160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
          waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

Comment

Yeah, wish I had a reading from when it was stock...

we will see what some ported GT40-Ps and a 4bbl intake and carb do
            -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
              Yeah, wish I had a reading from when it was stock...

we will see what some ported GT40-Ps and a 4bbl intake and carb do
              Wooooo!!!

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
              The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
              It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Get a bigger cam in it too, even a newer off the shelf cam will have more low-mid range than the HO cam does. Is the 82 engine drilled for roller lifters/cam?
                88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

I'll consider a cam, but since I'm building for fuel economy as well, and the stock cam doesn't do half bad, I may wait and see.

As far as I'm aware (never had the intake and heads off before) It is not drilled. There is a small possibility it has the castings that can be drilled and tapped, however since it's at least a decade before they started using them in the 351, i doubt it.
                  -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Why not maybe a towing cam? They're geared more towards lower rpm's for pulling anyways, correct? Shouldn't hurt the mileage, just help move it better off the line...
                    1984 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murphmobile (RIP)
                    1985 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murph Deuce (SOLD)
                    1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, The Crapiece (current project)

Comment

If it's probably not then I guess it's not worth the trouble. The heads and 4bbl will wake it up plenty. Also I probably missed it but what axle ratio does it have, being a cop car are you a lucky one with 3.55's?
                      88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                      Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Regarding cams: There's the 31-255-5 unit from Comp Cams. It makes good power in the low RPM range, and might even be compatible with your 351. You'll probably need the HO firing order though. I got quoted $270 for the cam and lifters.
                        Last edited by Hearsesrock427; 08-30-2014, 11:13 PM. Reason: Cleaned up the format
                        '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
                        '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
                        '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Comment

the 351 police cars all came with 2.73 rears...unfortunately. However I have a 3.27 trac-lok rear from an aero in there now. I'm fairly certain the heads/intake/carb will do well, and I can always put a different cam in it later.

Anyone know of a nice carb? I know a lot of people go with the edelbrock's 600CFM carbs (1406?), but surely there is something newer that is efficient when I want, and has power when I need it. I also know some carbs have adjustable secondaries- I really like the idea of that.
                          -Phil

sigpic

Comment

What I've gone with is the 600cfm holley vacuum secondary. Mine is a 4160 but a 4150 is basically the same but with changeable secondary jetting. More tube able and usually better power than an edelbrock.

Comment

you have that on there now? I will also have to figure out how to adapt my rod setup to whatever carb I get, I do not want to go with a cable
                              -Phil

sigpic

Comment

I've never been overly impressed with the Edelbrock carbs. Its a design out of the late 50s, and is about as advanced as you might expect. They're easy to tune, because there is very little that can be adjusted. Every one I've fooled with has always run OK, but never better than OK. Holleys I just don't understand, but I know they have more options. Never owned anything with one, so I've not been forced to learn that black art.
                                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                                X