Intermittent (speed depending) rumble/vibration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intermittent (speed depending) rumble/vibration

I have tried to isolate it and had long since forgot about it (wasn't noticeable), but i notice that when i drive between 60-66 mph, under light throttle i feel vibration and rumbling in the rear (my butt feel this-not through the steering wheel)

Here's my thoughts:

Rear Wheel's not balanced (But why would it do the rumbling/vibration only under light to moderate throttle)
    Drive shaft not balanced (Haven't observed it- Need to get it up in the air and have someone "drive" the car at that speed)
    Tranny Mounts (Also seems inconsistent)

Anyone else been through this. This makes my 75 miles commute to work a little less undesirable
    "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
    -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
    -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
    -2011 Subaru Outback

check the tires for proper inflation and possibly get them re-balanced. If that doesn't sort it, then start looking at the spendy parts. May also be flat spots on the tires if the car has sat very long or you've locked up the brakes stopping for roadway shenanigans.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Tire pressures are good and they were balanced. Now I will balance them again, but it wouldn't explain why it happens when i give it light to moderate throttle, its smooth when I let go of the throttle

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
      -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

U joints? Can cause bad vibes too.

Sent from my XT557 using Tapatalk 2
        Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Yes!, I just had both U-joints replaced. I am sorry I forgot to mention that.

This happening most notably during throttle is what leads me to believe it had somethign to do with the driveshaft

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
          -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

I had a coworker get both u-joints replaced on his ranger and one of them failed! Driveshaft jumped out on him and left him on side of road. Worth having the shop recheck them and make sure they're holding grease, etc.

Sent from my XT557 using Tapatalk 2
            Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

I personally took off the shaft and brough tit to a shoip to have them replaced. I believe they were MOOG parts.

How can you check them? to make sure they are good. I am not sure if I bought the greasable ones

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
              -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Just turn the driveshaft by hand and observe the joints for play/slop. The shaft will turn a little from the backlash adjustment of the rear axle, which helps in assessing the u-joints. Look at the driveshaft and see if there are balancing weights close to the ends or if they are missing. Mine are missing because I knocked them off by accident when I was changing the u-joints. I have seen people put hose clamps on over the driveshaft so the screw part is where the weights used to be for a better balance. I get a little bit of vibration as well and was thinking about trying the hose clamp trick to see if it helps.
                Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
                Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Did you balance them after I drove the car? I noticed a vibration at those speeds as well.

Comment

no, John. I had them balanced before I brought it to you

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                    -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Check the trans mount and the trans crossmember out. If the mount lets you move the back end of the trans around, it won't be helping. Possible its letting the trans move to one side, causing the U joints to bind somewhat. If the trans crossmember is rotted at one end, you'll have similar problems. Just make sure it wont pick up off the frame, and that there is metal past the big bolt that holds it all together. When I replaced the trans in mine the first time, instead of a bolt hole in the end of the crossmember I found a big letter C and a pile of rust where the rest of the thing should have been.

Driveshaft balance problems will also cause very similar sorts of issues. I had a bad one in my car, and it vibrated like a cheap hotel bed in the 75+ range.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Interesting... my car has been having some of the same issues. I also got the u-joints replaced and had the tires balanced less than a year ago. Differential fluid was also changed in the last month.

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
                        2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
                        2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

I will check out the mounting for the trany. Thanks

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                          -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Working...
                          X