No announcement yet.

AC not working, burning smell.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think all those donors listed are small case 3G. As far as 90 vs 130, I am not sure there is a way to tell. Maybe someone else can fill in that. My 94 Mustang lists the 130amp 3G only in the Rockauto catalog, so there is a 130 donor. Same year base V6 tbird list the same. Taurus lists a 110 and a 130.

Do you have a local shop that rebuilds alternators? My local one charges $50-75 to rebuild depending on what needs done. They can also upgrade to more amps if that's what you need. They may even have some in stock. Same price as a chain but supports local small business.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

There is a 95 Amp and a 130 Amp 3g. Easy to identify.
      There are 3 locations on the face that have either 4 or 2 holes. the 95 Amp unit has 4 holes while the 130 Amp unit has 2.

95 Amp:

130 Amp:

Also, it's probably my imagination but I didn't have so much trouble with the bracket on my '91, but with the '89 engine and alt bracket I had all the bracket clearance issues that are commonly discussed with the 3g swap. I'm pretty sure there is no difference between an '89 and '91 bracket, that's why I think it's just my imagination.
      Last edited by VicCrownVic; 11-18-2016, 09:11 AM.
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

The 130A is "large case" and all those listed have the 130A. The only issue is the mounting ears. The short mount (all of those listed) are compatible with stock 2G mounts. Long mount (100A 1G) mounts are different and that alternator is not a fire hazard, so not as big a deal.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Pulled two 3Gs today. Both passed the test at autozone. Both from 94 taurus. They look pretty bad. How do I clean them up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LE SOLD

1972 Ford F100 Custom - 5.9 - Stock

2011 Ford Fusion SE - 2.5 - Stock

2018 Toyota Highlander XLE

Comment

Degreaser (purple power, simple green, the works, dawn and water in a spray bottle)... let soak 20 minutes... scrub as needed or desired... spray off.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

This is the winner. Im going to take the other one back and look for a newer one for the 72.

Comment

Got it in... got it working... 14.7v under load. Lights are brighter.

I think i messed up the wiring though. The battery light on the cluster is on now. Ill post a pic when i get home.

Comment

The green/red wire from the original alternator needs to connect to the green/red on the new. Should be the same plug, and both are marked "I" on the regulator where it plugs in. You also need to make sure the stator is plugged in. Thats the white/black wire that goes from the plug to the small push-in terminal on the side of the new alternator.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I think ruined this harness. I cut the middle white wire close to the plug and then ran the wire from the loom to the stator plug.

[IMG]http://uploads.tapatalk-con.com/
                    20161204/7bb952ef3932d026cfb426c5f950579b.jpg[/IMG]

What do you do with the other plug?
                    Last edited by Salty Dog; 12-04-2016, 05:07 PM.

Comment

yeah, that won't work. The original white wire looped from plug to plug, so basically now you have it going nowhere.

I got rid of the original charge wires entirely. They go to a plug over on the driver's side fender. I cut them at that point. Seems to me there was some other wire in that connector that I needed, but I forget what it did. May have been the green wire, but it might have been the low oil pressure sender wire too.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Ok so replace with this but loop the middle wire to the stator plug?

Comment

White wire to the stator plug on the alternator. Yellow wire to charge stud and green wire to keyed 12v....preferably the stock green/red wire. Yellow wire can go to stock yellow wire as well. Just a short cut looping to the charge stud.
                          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Ok thanks fellas

Comment

Working...
                            X