1996 F150....sell or Trade for Panther

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1996 F150....sell or Trade for Panther

In discussion with a couple of local people, one with a 1995 Town Car and one with a 2000 Grand Marquis, but thought I would make the offer here as well in case there is any interest:

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/5897016222.html

Thanks
    David
    1989 LTD Crown Victoria LX
    14 previous Panthers, gone but not forgotten....

Keep the truck and fix it properly, it will only increase in value, unlike panthers.
    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

That thing is clean. I would either keep it or add 1-2k to the asking price.
      —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
      1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
      1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
      1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

People go ape-shit over that body style, so have it fixed up nicely and then sell it. Or just keep it after it's been fixed. Also, that thing is a prime candidate for a 4x4 swap on 1-ton axles (or even just a D44 SAS), kits for that are readily available and priced reasonable - that will also jack up its value if done correctly (using ready-made aftermarket parts with zero homebrew fabricobbling).
        The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
        The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

No offense to panthers, but I'd keep the truck if I were you.

-1994 Lincoln Town Car...always under construction

Comment

Won't hurt to make an offer.

I do think they are a bit optimistic about parts of it. "The box is rust free" "The box was recently repainted". I don't call JB weld wheel arches and touch up paint and a spray can of Wimbledon white in the bed a good thing at all.

The 4x4 trucks, especially the 250 and 350 have excellent resale value around here. But a 2wd 150 with almost 200k isn't setting any records. I'd call that a $2k truck.
            1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
            1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
            Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
            Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Its the OP's truck. He is looking for a panther as a trade for the truck.

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
              Won't hurt to make an offer.

I do think they are a bit optimistic about parts of it. "The box is rust free" "The box was recently repainted". I don't call JB weld wheel arches and touch up paint and a spray can of Wimbledon white in the bed a good thing at all.

The 4x4 trucks, especially the 250 and 350 have excellent resale value around here. But a 2wd 150 with almost 200k isn't setting any records. I'd call that a $2k truck.
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Seems like a bit of a misunderstanding here, or a case of different people looking at the same thing in different ways.

I look at the 'box' or the 'bed' as being the floor, the interior walls, and the tailgate. Those are the parts that are more functional to get a job done. Wheel arches are more cosmetic and don't really affect the functionality. Did I mean that by using JB Weld to patch the wheel arches that it made the entire box as a unit 100% rust-free? Of course not. It is what it is. When I got the truck it had a bedliner in it. Looked like the bed had been used for a little while from new, but not long, and then the bedliner was put in. I took the bedliner out, found no dents, no scrapes, just some general dirt, dullness, and minor surface rust. I cleaned it up, did some minor sanding of the surface rust, and re-painted it with Rustoleum white High Performance Enamel. Gave it a nice new finish, brightened it up, and took care of areas on the bed floor that had lost paint simply from materials sliding/rubbing before the bedliner was put in.

The edges of the wheel arches and the lowermost edges of the cab extension....those really are just cosmetic, when the rust does not extend to where it is affecting the structural integrity of the vehicle.

Any work that you do to improve the cosmetic appearance is a good thing....depending upon individual subjective opinion, of course. One person can have the intention of simply improving the look of something and another may be absolutely convinced that it was done with an intention of hiding something. The latter was not my intention.

As far as value goes, when it comes to a truck like this versus a Panther, I think that many on this site would agree that it's not all about monetary value. There is a lot of value in what you enjoy the most. Driving the truck and then driving the old Grand Marquis with its failing torque converter and exhaust leak, etc, I still far and away prefer the Grand Marquis. That motivates me to sell the truck and get a good Panther and stick with Panthers from now on. When life is stressful and you can hop in your favorite vehicle and just have some enjoyment for a while, that means a lot....regardless of the monetary value involved.
                David

Comment

Originally posted by fordnmerc View Post
                  The edges of the wheel arches and the lowermost edges of the cab extension....those really are just cosmetic, when the rust does not extend to where it is affecting the structural integrity of the vehicle.
                  Let me correct you there - once the rust starts and goes thru the sheetmetal there's no stopping it short of cutting the bad metal out and welding new in, and even that may only buy you so much time. So yeah, cosmetic at first, but it quickly becomes structural. Holds true for both trucks and cars, you have no idea how many Panthers have their wheel wells rotted thru on the inside behind the rear doors, but most folks don't even know the problem exists till the side opens up where they can see it clearly - by then it's too lat for an easy fix, you gotta cut the whole section out and replace it. Which is actually something you should definitely check for when you do go about picking out your new Panther...
                  The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.

Comment

Originally posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post
                    Let me correct you there - once the rust starts and goes thru the sheetmetal there's no stopping it short of cutting the bad metal out and welding new in, and even that may only buy you so much time. So yeah, cosmetic at first, but it quickly becomes structural.
                    That may be true as a general rule of thumb, but there are a lot of variables that can affect how far and how fast rust proceeds. I have seen some that have defied expectations....to the good side.

And I support electronic rustproofing systems *IF* they are a good brand. I had a 90 Grand Marquis shipped up from Ocala, Florida to upstate New York and I immediately put an electronic rustproofing system on it. Drove it for several years on heavily salted roads and there was never even any surface rust that got started....not even on the lowermost body panels where little stones had knocked off paint chips down to bare metal before I got the car.
                    David

Comment

Fordnmerc - didn't mean to tear your truck apart. Mods - may you consider deleting my prior post. Thought it was one you were looking to buy. I try to take the critical approach when coming from a buying angle to avoid buyers remorse. Truth be told it looks much better than most of my junk.
                      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

That may be true as a general rule of thumb, but there are a lot of variables that can affect how far and how fast rust proceeds. I have seen some that have defied expectations....to the good side.
                        I'm not gonna tell you what to do with your vehicle, I was simply stating that with a Ford truck any rust in that general area doesn't tend to stay cosmetic issue for long. Not going into details since you're not keeping the truck, it will be someone else's problem soon enough, lol. The post was also meant as a guide as to what to avoid when buying the Panther you want - hope you take that info to heart and act accordingly, and not just rely on hope that your good past experience will repeat itself again.

And I support electronic rustproofing systems *IF* they are a good brand. I had a 90 Grand Marquis shipped up from Ocala, Florida to upstate New York and I immediately put an electronic rustproofing system on it. Drove it for several years on heavily salted roads and there was never even any surface rust that got started....not even on the lowermost body panels where little stones had knocked off paint chips down to bare metal before I got the car.
                        This is interesting, since most statements regarding these one can read online say they don't work worth a damn. You wouldn't by any chance remember what brand that system you had was, would ya?

Comment

Fordnmerc - didn't mean to tear your truck apart. Mods - may you consider deleting my prior post. Thought it was one you were looking to buy. I try to take the critical approach when coming from a buying angle to avoid buyers remorse. Truth be told it looks much better than most of my junk.
                          Hey, no sweat....we're cool.
                          David

Comment

Originally posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post
                            I'm not gonna tell you what to do with your vehicle, I was simply stating that with a Ford truck any rust in that general area doesn't tend to stay cosmetic issue for long. Not going into details since you're not keeping the truck, it will be someone else's problem soon enough, lol. The post was also meant as a guide as to what to avoid when buying the Panther you want - hope you take that info to heart and act accordingly, and not just rely on hope that your good past experience will repeat itself again.

This is interesting, since most statements regarding these one can read online say they don't work worth a damn. You wouldn't by any chance remember what brand that system you had was, would ya?
                            1) I will be looking over a car very thoroughly and will make everything about the truck very clear as well. Currently, it's looking like I may have a black 2000 Interceptor by this weekend.

2) It was AutoSaver and cost $500 at the time. I did find this thread. The post at the bottom is interesting about the salt water bath. LOL I will say that the roads in upstate NY are some of the most heavily salted you will ever see. They stay absolutely white with it well into the Spring until the rains finally wash it off.

http://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/...vent-rust.html

All I can say is it sure worked for me. When I sold the car, the new owner was amazed at how clean the underside of the car was. Here are a few pics shortly before I sold it.
                            Attached Files
                            David

Comment

Traded!

The 2000 P71 is actually dark midnight blue rather than black. I have some minor cosmetic issues to deal with that don't bother me at all. Front suspension has been all re-done, new aluminum crossover intake, fresh brakes. It has a K & N cold air intake and straight pipes. Not as loud as I expected and actually sounds very good! Will be taking photos in coming days and posting in the members' rides section. New owner of the truck is happy too.
                              David

Comment

Working...
                              X