Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FS: 2003 Town Car Signature 80k miles. (collision damage)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FS: 2003 Town Car Signature 80k miles. (collision damage)

Hi guys I thought I'd post this here before going other routes. I was on my way home from work Friday night and som asshole pulled out in front of me headed my way straight down the center of the road. My only choices were to ditch it or hit him head on. I was able to get far enough into the right burm that he didn't hit me but it was icy and I over corrected coming out of it. I went off the left side of the road and wiped out a road sign. I just have liability insurance and for me it makes more sense to buy something else than to try to fix it.

So here it is my 2003 Town Car Signature Series. 80,500 miles. Everything works except the A/C has a leak somewhere and the heated seats don't work. It'll need a drivers window and mirror for sure. You can do what you want with the fender and door. The door opens and closes fine but it is dented and scraped up. I had it towed from the wreck site to my dads and put a piece of plexiglas in the window just so I could drive it the 35 miles home. It runs and drives just fine and there is no damage underneath. The body is rust free, underneath isn't perfect but it isn't bad for a car that's spent 17 winters in Ohio. I figure with the rust free body, 80k miles, and minimal damage I should be able to get $2000 for it if I'm patient and wait for the right buyer. Depending on your state laws on the window and mirror you could just drive it as is. Here I'm looking at at least a $200 fine for each, and with my work schedule I don't have time to fix it. Outdoor pics are from when I bought the car in July 2019. Pics of the damage will be obvious.

Last edited by mercurygm88; 02-10-2020, 03:31 AM.
    2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

​

shit, thats a junkyard shopping trip if I've ever seen one. fender and a door, can't be more than a few hundred bucks in parts to repair it. if you're lucky you'll even find one in the proper color. If you don't have time to deal with it, I'm sure you can find someone who can just hang the parts and make the car functional for not too much cash.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I agree with Gadget73. Go to the junkyard and get the parts and you are golden and by the way inspect the front end.

Comment

$2
        Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        shit, thats a junkyard shopping trip if I've ever seen one. fender and a door, can't be more than a few hundred bucks in parts to repair it. if you're lucky you'll even find one in the proper color. If you don't have time to deal with it, I'm sure you can find someone who can just hang the parts and make the car functional for not too much cash.
        I have reasons that I'd rather sell it than deal with it. Mainly that it'll never be fixed to my standards on what I can afford. Buy I can buy another panther that meets my standards for $2000-$4000. I've been to two body shops since this happened and both want $4000ish to fix the damage. That's if they can find a rust free fender and door. Also there is some damage to the hood.
        2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

​

Comment

Yah totally.

And no offense sir but if your sig lists all of the cars you've owned and driven daily, they end up wrecked one way or the other if owned more than a year. So rather than lose money by going to another car which will more than likely get wrecked like this one, I'd just fix this one up with junkyard parts. :fonzie-thumbs-up:
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
            Yah totally.

And no offense sir but if your sig lists all of the cars you've owned and driven daily, they end up wrecked one way or the other if owned more than a year. So rather than lose money by going to another car which will more than likely get wrecked like this one, I'd just fix this one up with junkyard parts. :fonzie-thumbs-up:
            Now now only one of the four acicdents I've been in was my fault, and I never got cited so basically it was just the insurance screwing with me. But yeah, I don't wanna fix it that's the point. It'll never be good enough for me unless I spend way more than it's worth, and I just don't want to deal with it I'd rather move on. I should've had full coverage I learned my lesson on that, this is the only car that I've opted to not have full coverage on.

​

Comment

Good luck with whatever happens.
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Replacement '03 TC with 90k miles, same color, in Jackson, MI. $2900

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...4019315984045/

Random listing I came across, not someone I know.
                Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post

Thanks Vic and it’s a Cartier too. I’m looking at a ‘01 signature touring with 84k and a ‘99 grand marquis with 70k that are local right now. Both rust free cars. I’ve got about $2k in my emergency fund. Just need to sell the TC for at least $1500 to make up the rest.

​

Comment

Originally posted by mercurygm88 View Post
                    Now now only one of the four acicdents I've been in was my fault, and I never got cited so basically it was just the insurance screwing with me. But yeah, I don't wanna fix it that's the point. It'll never be good enough for me unless I spend way more than it's worth, and I just don't want to deal with it I'd rather move on. I should've had full coverage I learned my lesson on that, this is the only car that I've opted to not have full coverage on.
                    Like I said, wrecked one way or the other.
                    PLPD, that's how I run. After the fiasco with my Town Car after it got damaged while sitting still, I'll never insure a DD with full coverage. About four years ago they totaled my Lincoln and showed me "comps" that were no where near comparable yet used that to justify their $2,400 amount. Fuckers.. Anyway, full coverage costs more and then when you go to make a claim should you ever need to, they then gouge you to make their money back. There's a reason insurance is one of the most profitable business models out there. It cost me an extra $50 a month to insure my truck full coverage, a truck they value at $~2,000. That's $600/yr and not to mention that when I made a claim for my Town Car those years ago, when I went to switch to classic car insurance, no one would take me due to those existing claims.. Now through Grundy I can drive the damn thing 3,500 miles a year and pay only $350 a year to do so with a stated value of $6,500. It is terrible to say but I've learned it is best to shoulder the burden yourself rather than hope they pay out and don't gouge. Least that's how Michigan is.

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post

Originally posted by mercurygm88 View Post
                    Thanks Vic and it’s a Cartier too. I’m looking at a ‘01 signature touring with 84k and a ‘99 grand marquis with 70k that are local right now. Both rust free cars. I’ve got about $2k in my emergency fund. Just need to sell the TC for at least $1500 to make up the rest.
                    Problem with this shit is is that it is a new bucket of bolts. Meaning it doesn't have the history your car does and while you can get it for say $2,500 you need to keep in mind it is a 17-18 year old car... I wouldn't feel comfortable driving a car that old unless I went through it and that's easily another $1,500. It'll be cheaper to just slap some new parts on your current ride and keep going until it actually gets taken out by a wreck. She's still going strong and looking good everywhere else at this point. Unless of course it does have issues you haven't mentioned.
                    Last edited by DerekTheGreat; 02-12-2020, 07:36 AM.

Comment

Like I said, wrecked one way or the other.
                      PLPD, that's how I run. After the fiasco with my Town Car after it got damaged while sitting still, I'll never insure a DD with full coverage. About four years ago they totaled my Lincoln and showed me "comps" that were no where near comparable yet used that to justify their $2,400 amount. Fuckers.. Anyway, full coverage costs more and then when you go to make a claim should you ever need to, they then gouge you to make their money back. There's a reason insurance is one of the most profitable business models out there. It cost me an extra $50 a month to insure my truck full coverage, a truck they value at $~2,000. That's $600/yr and not to mention that when I made a claim for my Town Car those years ago, when I went to switch to classic car insurance, no one would take me due to those existing claims.. Now through Grundy I can drive the damn thing 3,500 miles a year and pay only $350 a year to do so with a stated value of $6,500. It is terrible to say but I've learned it is best to shoulder the burden yourself rather than hope they pay out and don't gouge. Least that's how Michigan is.

Problem with this shit is is that it is a new bucket of bolts. Meaning it doesn't have the history your car does and while you can get it for say $2,500 you need to keep in mind it is a 17-18 year old car... I wouldn't feel comfortable driving a car that old unless I went through it and that's easily another $1,500. It'll be cheaper to just slap some new parts on your current ride and keep going until it actually gets taken out by a wreck. She's still going strong and looking good everywhere else at this point. Unless of course it does have issues you haven't mentioned.

I've never had a problem buying an old car. I feel perfectly comfortable driving something that someone else was already driving as a DD. As for insurance I had full coverage on my '01 it cost me $72/month, I had an agreed upon value of $7500 and a $200 deductible. When the car got side swiped in a parking lot I had zero issues with the insurance getting it fixed, it was the con man they suggested as a body shop I had issues with. He did a wonderful job but he took two weeks longer than promised and only had one car besides mine to work on. Turns out he was only working about 3 days a week, I guess you can do that when you own a business. Meanwhile I was stuck without a vehicle and had to get rides to work for a month, which wasn't real easy.
                      Last edited by mercurygm88; 02-12-2020, 09:39 AM.

​

Comment

Oh I have. Ashley's new to her '92 C1500 has probably needed the least amount of work to get it to comfortably reliable DD status. That and my Town Car, but of course that was a garage kept queen all it's life anyway. But my truck, nah, that thing has needed everything and more than twice the purchase price has been invested to bring it to where it is now. I'm happy with it though, haven't had to spend much money at all on it the past two years to keep it going. Now it's where I like my cars to be, brakes, oil changes, filters and routine stuff.

You're not in Michigan. Agreed upon as in contractually binding? Did your rates go up after? That's what Michigan does to you. They "told" me my car was valued at $5,000 based on the literature the guy pulled up at the time I was doing the figuring. Then when push came to shove, I got F'd in the A and was supposed to enjoy it. What they told me essentially boiled down to, "You should of supplied your own lube."

Comment

Oh I have. Ashley's new to her '92 C1500 has probably needed the least amount of work to get it to comfortably reliable DD status. That and my Town Car, but of course that was a garage kept queen all it's life anyway. But my truck, nah, that thing has needed everything and more than twice the purchase price has been invested to bring it to where it is now. I'm happy with it though, haven't had to spend much money at all on it the past two years to keep it going. Now it's where I like my cars to be, brakes, oil changes, filters and routine stuff.

You're not in Michigan. Agreed upon as in contractually binding? Did your rates go up after? That's what Michigan does to you. They "told" me my car was valued at $5,000 based on the literature the guy pulled up at the time I was doing the figuring. Then when push came to shove, I got F'd in the A and was supposed to enjoy it. What they told me essentially boiled down to, "You should of supplied your own lube."
                          Yes it's contracturally binding. I've never known of anyone in Ohio having issues getting their insurance to pay out. I also know no matter what I do I have to pay at least $60/month for insurance. I belive it's state law. I've had quotes of less, then when it comes time to purchase the plan and sign it jumps up to $60. My insurance did not go up when the '01 got hit because it wasn't my fault, same when I got rear ended in the '88, and the Chrysler 200. The one at fault accident I had back in 2010 caused my rates to almost double, I switched insurance companies and was able to get it back down. I've heard that not all states have a contracturally binding agreed upon value.

​

Comment

Oh they paid out, just not what was told to me on the phone a year ago when I decided to go through them for insurance. The find "comparable" cars to yours and determine what they're going to pay you based off of that. Well, Progressive does anyway. And so $3,300 of damage or whatever was enough to total my car out as they only valued it at $2,400. Had I known that going in, I'd have never submitted a claim. With Michigan being a no fault state, we've never been determined at fault yet after every claim we've made, insurance went up. Matter of fact, all of the insurance is under my name now as despite us having the same insurance provider, Ashley was paying double to insure her cars after her C3500 got damaged and she put in a claim for it.

Comment

The main thing I see as a problem if it is not worth it to you to fix up because of the cost and the possibility of it not getting back to your standards,why do you expect so much money from a wrecked panther worth so little when there are many clean non wrecked panthers flooding the market today for reasonable money?
                              If it is not worth it to you it certainly will not be worth it to potential buyers.
                              All I see here is a parts car, any signficant money recooped from this car may come by parting it out, But then your just trading your time for money.
                              Good luck no matter what you do.
                              2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

Comment

Working...
                              X