No announcement yet.

5W20 or 5W30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 07 with 46,000 miles on it has a Motorcraft filter but I have no clue what oil the Lincoln Dealer put in my car since they were just selling it.
    However my car has noise on start up after it has sat over night that goes away fairly quick once it warms up.
    I want to change the oil and filter and put in a automatic priming system in my car since it does a lot of sitting, as far as the Oil I was planning on using the Motorcraft semi synthetic 20w50
    any advice would be appreciated I live in south Florida
    If the oil and filter fixes the problem I will skip the priming system.
    2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

Comment

20w50 would be too thick. If you want to step up the thickness of the oil, go with 10w30 at most. The engine is spec'd for 5w20, so start with 5w30. 20w50 would not be able to drain back down when cold and may starve the oil pump and then burn stuff up.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
        20w50 would be too thick. If you want to step up the thickness of the oil, go with 10w30 at most. The engine is spec'd for 5w20, so start with 5w30. 20w50 would not be able to drain back down when cold and may starve the oil pump and then burn stuff up.
        Sorry I meant 5w20 semi synthetic

Comment

In that case, you should be fine. 5w20 semi synthetic (synthetic blend), is what is spec'd by Ford IIRC. This is also the stuff the dealers keep on hand, so it's probably what's already in it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
            In that case, you should be fine. 5w20 semi synthetic (synthetic blend), is what is spec'd by Ford IIRC. This is also the stuff the dealers keep on hand, so it's probably what's already in it.
            My hope is that the dealer I purchased the car from is just as cheap as the dealers I worked for in the past that would use bulk non synthetic oil on their used cars.

Either way it is going to get the right OEM oil in it to see what happens.

Comment

The OE oil is pretty inexpensive. I doubt an actual Ford dealer would buy non-Ford oil for warranty reasons.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                The OE oil is pretty inexpensive. I doubt an actual Ford dealer would buy non-Ford oil for warranty reasons.
                This.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  All I can say is I worked a several Car dealerships and they always used bulk non Synthetic oil and cheap Non OEM parts on used cars that were sold without a warranty.

I am not saying that is the case with my car but I am hoping that is what happened.

Considering they left a dirty clogged air filter in my car it is safe to say they did not have the best tech on the team working on my car when they prepped it for sale.

I guess I will find out once I get the oil changed.

Comment

I have seen several Ford or Motorcraft branded parts that say “Not for use for warranty repair work” or something like that. Brake pads and shoes in particular. Seems to indicate an quality difference.
                    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Sorry to dig up an old post, but does anybody know if the Mobil 1 Oil filter (extended life) have the anti-drainback valve that the Motorcrafts filters have?
                      "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
                      -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                      -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
                      -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

It does have a silicone anti-drain back valve.

My Cars:
                        -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                        -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                        -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                        -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Originally posted by EaOutlaw1969 View Post
                          All I can say is I worked a several Car dealerships and they always used bulk non Synthetic oil and cheap Non OEM parts on used cars that were sold without a warranty.

I am not saying that is the case with my car but I am hoping that is what happened.

Considering they left a dirty clogged air filter in my car it is safe to say they did not have the best tech on the team working on my car when they prepped it for sale.

I guess I will find out once I get the oil changed.
                          Can confirm. I worked for both a Dodge and a Lincoln-Mercury dealership. All they did was send cars to paintless body shops for ding and small dent removal, then they came back where we would brighten the headlights up, clean the interiors and buff the paint up. Then they'd add at least 20% mark up to each of the cars. Some they'd even claim 100k less miles or whatever suited them if they could get away with it. Only repairs they'd make are the ones which obviously needed to be done.
                          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Working...
                          X