Weird coolant leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
    none of my cars have wanted more than 10. The Towncar and the black Mark VII both pinged with any advance. The white one very slightly pings even at 10, though that mostly went away when I swapped the plugs back to copper.
    Interesting you would mention pinging going away with the replacement to copper plugs. My '93's PO had Autolite Plats put in as opposed to the OEM Motorcraft Coppers. It does have a ping under load and I wonder if replacing the plugs would produce the same good results. Guess there is one way to find out!
    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

I know the gas makes a big difference. When I was working, we never put in anything other than 89 octane. In my 96, I use premium 90-91.
      If I used regular gas, it would ping big time. As far a plugs, in my opinion, using what the car came with is the best.

Comment

yeah I'm a stock plug type of guy. Thats why I put coppers back in the Mark VII. Just past experience with the 302, they don't idle as well with fancy plugs vs boring Motorcraft coppers. The 4.6 I believe came with platinum.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Just checked the Owner's Manual and it calls for AWSF-32C so that should be coppers.Not sure what is stated on the car's decal but will verify possibly tomorrow.
          What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
          What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Update 2: I think I'm gonna need a fan clutch, shut the car off after about 15 mile drive and watched it free spin

Comment

The way I got rid of the heavy ping under hard acceleration was replace the old clogged cats with nice new ones.
              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Cats on all three of mine are low mileage, so thats not it either. Its one of those things that I don't think makes any sense, but I've given up trying to figure it out. They work well enough at 10 btdc so thats what I use.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

My Town Car pings if set to anything over 10 degrees. It sometimes pings at 10.
                  1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                  1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Just to add something else in reference to pinging; No one addressed it , was the egr. Clean out the egr ports in the upper intake manifold. Clogged egr ports will cause pinging. Back to the original topic. Still no water leaks after you tightened the water pump bolts?

Comment

Originally posted by GMP440 View Post
                      Just to add something else in reference to pinging; No one addressed it , was the egr. Clean out the egr ports in the upper intake manifold. Clogged egr ports will cause pinging. Back to the original topic. Still no water leaks after you tightened the water pump bolts?
                      I ended up doing a timing cover gasket and the timing set which was very deteriorated and the chain was pretty loose

Comment

That should help a lot then. Good timing set makes a major difference with these cars.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        Originally posted by gadget73
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                        X