Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was driving through Detroit, found "some old plant", decided to pose for a pic.
    Later realized it's Fisher Body Plant 21, which did various GM coachbuilding until 1984.

Today, smacked the ol' girl up a bit. Lady in the Accord pulled out in front of me. I do have dashcam footage showing I am not at fault, so hopefully this goes in my direction.

Inclined to say I won that one. Grabbing a whole Mark VI header panel for mischievous purposes. Still won't have a turn signal though.
    Last edited by kishy; 01-22-2017, 07:40 PM.

Current driver: wagon
    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
    | 88 TC | 91 GM
    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
    | Junkyards

Comment

I'd say you owned the shit out of that hit. I wanna see the footage!

It shouldn't be too hard getting a replacement lens. Sounds like you got the header panel issue already sorted.

My Cars:
      -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
      -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
      -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
      -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Real bumpers FTW.

Awesome photo at the plant!

Hope the rebuild goes well for you.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Crash Vid

Crunch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXY0XxB5uZE

Last edited by kishy; 01-23-2017, 12:03 PM.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
          | Junkyards

Comment

There's a reason I always wait for all cars to pass traveling in my direction on a multi-lane road in case someone changes lanes near my turn out. It usually only requires a few extra seconds just to be sure you're not going to turn out in front of some one.

You should toss that clip over on r/roadcam. I've seen a few clips from here over there.

My Cars:
            -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
            -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
            -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
            -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

I don't have a reddit account...but this might be the final tipping point to justify it lol.

By the way, since rules do vary by jurisdiction: the Honda driver is 100% at-fault in the province of Ontario. https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/900668

| 88 TC | 91 GM
              | Junkyards

Comment

Bummer.
                ************************************************** ******************************
                1997 Crown Vic - Mostly rust free, moderate mileage. On the road... but far from perfect. **SOLD**
                1985 Crown Vic in 2-Tone Blue **SOLD**
                http://automophiliac.blogspot.ca/

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                  Real bumpers FTW.

Awesome photo at the plant!

Hope the rebuild goes well for you.
                  X2!

Originally posted by blkpnthr View Post
                  Owie, but nice watching her car crumple up a bit haha. Your old lane was empty, you should've just swerved back into it! Captain hindsight here lol. What brilliance did she have to say??
                  1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                  1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                    X2!

Owie, but nice watching her car crumple up a bit haha. Your old lane was empty, you should've just swerved back into it! Captain hindsight here lol. What brilliance did she have to say??
                    Was not a viable option. The car behind me closed the gap and would have hit me - at my fault - if I had returned to the original lane. The outcome this way is the better one of the two.

She told me I merged into her. She then asked if I turned from the parking lot across the street. Both evidence that it isn't a matter of her not seeing me, but rather a matter of her not looking (quite a difference).

The vehicle already on the road has right-of-way over the vehicle that is entering the road. The vehicle that is in a lane already has right-of-way over the vehicle that is not. Given time and conditions, there was no viable 'out' that wouldn't have made it worse for me.
                    Last edited by kishy; 01-24-2017, 08:53 AM.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                    | Junkyards

Comment

Well, if it was me I would've nailed it and swerved back into the left lane at about the 5 or 6 second mark as you can see she was pulling out regardless of who has the right away (DOES ANYONE CARE ABOUT THE RULES ANYMORE??? MARK IT ZERO!). The speeding Ford that was coming up on ya from the rear would've been fine. Even if that guy was oblivious, how is it your fault if he hits you in the ass? Especially with the dash cam footage to back it up... I've had to do stuff similar to that before, why I hate changing lanes or having to merge into traffic from an intersection without a light. Most of those clowns never signal anyway so last I want to do is be T boned by someone who isn't paying attention. No biggie though, your car took it well, looks like you only need the corner extension and a lense.

Yeah, you merged into her, pssh. LoL. Seems people only check once and then that's it, often misjudging the physics aspect. I love how the other person never admits fault, that never fails. Too bad you didn't bust up her taillight lol. Doubt she'll bother to fix that.

Comment

I would have received an unsafe lane change ticket for returning to my original lane and on account of doing so, would have become the at-fault party for that crash (or some partial fault split between us). At that stage it would have been deemed that I had initiated a second lane change, rather than just aborting the first. And that's where the fault would fall on me, for entering a lane that was not clear.

The police said the correct move was to stay my course and hit her (obviously attempting to stop) given the consequences of moving back. Sometimes winning is relative...everyone lost, I just lost the least because my record stays clean.
                        Last edited by kishy; 01-24-2017, 11:16 AM.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                        | Junkyards

Comment

That's if you got hit and if you were pulled over right? Gambling sucks, I lost pretty big on our Florida road trip.

Comment

If I re-entered the left lane (so as to avoid the wrongfully entering Honda), and a collision resulted because I entered the left lane, I would be at fault for it.

This is the argument the Honda driver tried to use against me in fact, saying that I merged into her (e.g. claiming that I merged into a lane which was not clear). And if I had, I would have been at fault. It doesn't matter what area of the vehicle the contact is on, the one that enters the lane when it is not clear is the one at fault whether it results in getting rear ended, sideswiped, or anything else. Right-of-way always belongs to the vehicle already in the lane. The same applies to what would have happened if the Taurus hit me because I went back to the left lane.

It is, for that reason, very fortunate that the video backs up that I was already in the right lane when she entered and the collision occurred.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                            | Junkyards

Comment

Right, had I been in that situation I would have gambled that the other car would not hit me, also why I would try to speed up despite these things being short in the acceleration department.

Of course she did, never their fault... Did the cops look at your video? That would be funny. Did you show it to her as well? Like, try to dispute this, biotch.

Comment

Right, had I been in that situation I would have gambled that the other car would not hit me, also why I would try to speed up despite these things being short in the acceleration department.
                                Were it not for being in 4th I might have tried it. In 3rd I think I could have pulled away, but kickdown takes too long and with how fast everything happened the time required would have been too long.

Of course she did, never their fault... Did the cops look at your video? That would be funny. Did you show it to her as well? Like, try to dispute this, biotch.
                                Although an officer attended the scene, that's rare for one without injuries or fatalities. In Ontario collisions are reported at a third party company, a Collision Reporting Centre, which is staffed with some police officers.

I told her I had it on camera, she said it would prove I was at fault. I went back to the car, reviewed the clip to make sure I was right, and of course I was. Returned to them, stated as much, and they accused me of deleting the clip. I then offered to replay it for them and they both declined to do so.

Gave it to the collision reporting centre on a USB stick, guy watched it, called all the officers around and they all agreed on the spot, entirely her fault.

The insurance determination is yet to be made by an adjuster. It is technically possible they could find me some percentage at fault. However the video combined with police interpretation of the situation makes it pretty much open and shut. There is a fault determination rule in the law that deals with this exact scenario and according to it, 0% at-fault for me.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                                | Junkyards

Comment

Working...
                                X