No announcement yet.

Engine runs like crap at first?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I get home tomorrow I will check the coolant levels. I've never ever looked in the radiator as I have never had a heat issue. Perhaps the coolant level IS low. If it is, I'll finally bite the bullet and do the radiator flush that I've wanted to do for awhile. If it isn't, I'll go get that code reader from O'Reily's and post back the codes. I should probably just get the scan tool anyways. I'll post my findings tomorrow.

Comment

Coolant levels are perfect. Looks like it's time to get that code reader!

Comment

Originally posted by AmuletOfNight View Post
        Coolant levels are perfect. Looks like it's time to get that code reader!
        Just ground the STI wire and count the check engine light flashes.
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVjvgnLUBzE

Comment

Just grounding the STI wire will do it? I don't have to deal with the output wire?

Comment

How do you recommend grounding the wire? Do I have to keep continuous ground or a short one?

Comment

continuous. with key on, engine off, it will give you the codes. But like I said earlier, the LCD readout scanner makes it really easy and you just read the codes off it's display instead of having to count blinks. It's also a very nice tool to have if you have any intention of keeping the car.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Okay, well can I ground it with a paperclip, or do I have to make some sort of connection between the two prongs on that wire and the frame?

Comment

Yes... see pic:

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

All the check engine light did was flash without much of a pattern. Like 6636, which doesn't turn anything up.

Comment

you may need to get the reader I posted to get the codes out right then.

Comment

I had the same problem with my '93 Marquis back in the day. Your cold run issue could be the EGR supply tube is cracked. It's a short, flexible metal tube that runs from the passenger side exhaust manifold to the EGR valve. (It's buried and hard to see from up top) If it is cracked, then un-metered air is getting sucked into the system. When the car is cold and running in open loop mode it will cause the AF ratios to go whacky. In my case it would stumble badly and even back fire on occasion.

Just something else to check.
                        Car: 2004 Mercury Marauder
                        Engine/Tranny: 49k miles and bone stock....for now

Comment

Working...
                        X