Radio Update for a 1996 GM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Radio Update for a 1996 GM

I have a 1996 GM loaded with the stock radio tape deck, I have seen a radio and trunk mounted cd shuttle from a 2000+- Town car. Just wondering how I can update my sound as I have an RT with a touch screen and hard drive I have most of my music in MP3 format but could burn some disks

get a nice head unit with a USB port on it (like a Kenwood eXcelon or better) and you can USB whatever you want. I have all my regular listening on a USB stick in my pocket that I plug into my cars. Single Din and a proper aftermarket wiring adapter and you're good to go. The stock speakers are ok, but you can upgrade those too with relatively little outlay. Check www.crutchfield.com for sizing and adapters and then shop around for best prices. Sometimes Crutchfield has the best price after you get included adapter harnesses.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

My car has a Pioneer head unit with AUX and USB ports. It was pretty cheap (three years ago) so I doubt anyone will try and steal it. The faceplate is also removable too.

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
      2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
      2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

I have a nice NEW Dual stereo system with 2 speakers, in the unopened box. See it in the for sale section.

Comment

I went out and got a Alpine Radio for my 1996 GM and I have the stock radio pulled have 2 plugs into the back of the radio 1 long plug and a small rectangle plug have no ant in, think it is in the small plug.

How do I wire in the new stereo? I have a bypass adapter for the trunk unit, do I have to run new wires to the back or is there a connection under the dash?

Comment

Buy an aftermarket harness for your car and wire that to the new stereo's harness.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Dear Panthers,

The best feature about the factory radio is that you can operate it without looking away from the road. Next best feature is it doesn't look like a screen at a video arcade. Worst feature is that it won't pull in distant stations. IMHO at 70 mph, the only way to get decent sound in any box is headphones.

Donald McCaig

Comment

done had to get the aftermarket harness so the deck could work, now going to add the amp and put in new alpine speakers. Only issues are putting the power wire through the firewall for the amp and clearance for the speakers in the doors and back deck

Comment

You know there is a monster grommet on the passenger side that you can easily drill a small hole in to route your power wire correct? Just look up under the dash, you can't miss it.
                  2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                  2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                  Past Panthers
                  1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                  if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Thanks for the info was trying to figure out how to get that done, I have run the speaker wire and rca's on the pass side, I have set it up so that I can run the amp or just use the deck. I can just swap out the harness in the trunk for one or the other.
                    Now the speakers and amp can be installed and after i run the power wire.

Comment

I have the amp and speakers I have looked at the back deck and I think I have to remove the back seat and back tray to get the speakers out, I have found the plug on the pass side firewall to run the power wire but going to be hard to get to it as the wheel well is right there

Comment

easy is a relative term.

Comment

Originally posted by kevin67 View Post
                          ... I have found the plug on the pass side firewall to run the power wire but going to be hard to get to it as the wheel well is right there
                          I would recommend the following:
                          1. remove the grommet from the hole in the firewall
                          2. feed a straightened wire coat hanger from the passenger compartment side of the hole into the engine compartment
                          3. tape the power wire to the end of the coat hanger and pull it back into the passenger compartment
                          4. drill a suitably sized hole in the grommet for the power wire (being careful not to mess anything up)
                          5. feed the power wire through the hole in the grommet
                          6. put the grommet back into the hole in the firewall

You might want to consider putting the power wire in some split loom in the engine compartment. I did this and also added a layer of electrical tape (partly because I had lots that was free and could afford to). Don't forget to fuse the power wire at the battery.

I might as well also note that, technically, you don't want to be running power wires beside signal wires. That's one possible way to introduce alternator whine into your system.
                          Last edited by IPreferDIY; 09-29-2014, 08:18 PM.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
                          mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

I have run the RCA, Ant and speaker wire on the pass side of the car, my plan is to run the power on the drivers side so will cross under the dash over to the kick panel and under the carpet.

Comment

I'd run the power down the passenger side and the RCAs down the driver side just to avoid all that crossing over. With my setup in the 88 though, power is only to the passenger seat (since the amp is mounted under it) and the RCAs under the carpet on the hump and the speaker wire to the trunk via the rest of the passenger side to the trunk. Worked out well for me, but I know that's not possible in everyone's car. But if you've already run all that wire... then might as well run the power down the driver side.

Comment

Working...
                              X