No brake lights????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

odd.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
      the high mount even comes on with the hazards? sounds like a loose ground in the multifunction switch or possibly a bad multifunction switch. I've never seen a high mount blink with the tails (unless it was an added afterthought and they just tied it into one of the tail lights)

do the blinkers work and does one of the blinkers blink the high mount? If so... then it's probably a bum brake switch or multifunction switch. Try looking in the trunk and seeing if there's a wire from one of the brake lights up to the high mount. If there is, disconnect it and see if that fixes anything (if it's not too hard to disconnect). If it's NOT hooked up that way and really is a stock option... there's some wacky stuff going on with the wiring.
      That's normal for '86 '87 does that too I think. '88 they changed the setup, the center light no longer flashes with the brake lights.

Which brings me to a thought, put the hazards on, and step on the brake pedal, do they stop flashing?

Comment

My brake lights just randomly stopped coming on. If I am reading correctly, its a one or the other type thing with this?

1990 Colony Park, with HO swap.

Previously:
        1990 Lincoln Town Car Cartier.
        88 CVLX
        01 Marquis

Comment

pretty much... panthers are kinda simple in that regard. if all the brake lights don't work (high mount included) check the mounting of the brake switch. If it's just the tail lights and the high mount works... multi-function switch or the ground for the lights. If the parking lights or blinkers work, it's not the ground.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

got a new switch. broke the piece that connects to it, so thats fucked up now. Ill have to buy a new connector piece. Is there a way I dont have to buy the connector? Would some spade clips work, or is the connector mandatory?

Here was the issue.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141021_213404845.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	1276603
            Last edited by piranah; 10-21-2014, 10:52 PM.

Previously:
            88 CVLX
            01 Marquis

Comment

the harness in the car broke or the connector on the switch? If the former, if the wires and connectors are still ok, you can just plug them in individually (I'd wrap a little electrical tape around just to prevent shorts and then wrap more tape around to get it to hold on the switch). If the connector on the switch broke, you'll have to solder to the stubs that are left and attach some correctly sized spade connectors to plug into the car's harness (again with the electrical tape for isolation and holding) or get another switch. Can't really tell much from your picture as I've never actually had to deal with those directly.

Comment

Here are a couple photos. Its the connector that goes to the switch. The switch is new, but when I took the connector off the old switch, it just fell apart.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141022_095704954.jpg
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	1276604Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141022_095753001.jpg
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	1276605Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141022_095807187.jpg
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	1276606

Previously:
                88 CVLX
                01 Marquis

Comment

might just see if you can't just get the contact out of the connector and solder it back to the wire... otherwise yeah... just cut the other wire and fix a correct size spade quick connect to it and go. Shrink wrap or electrical tape wrap to avoid shorts to prevent the brake lights coming on at random times.

Comment

So tape the spade to the switch? I figured that was the only way it would stay on. lol

Previously:
                    88 CVLX
                    01 Marquis

Comment

if the spade on the switch is broke... solder it... but if the spade is fine, once you get the wires with connectors, wrap tape around it after connecting it all together. The spade connectors hold themselves pretty good, but a little tape for insurance never hurts.

Comment

Sly means crimp on new spade terminals onto the wire of the correct size;

Or if you prefer, repair pigtail;
                        http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...C66_0463421026

Alex.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by GM_Guy; 10-22-2014, 05:14 PM.

Comment

I crimp and then solder. I don't trust crimps.

Comment

I could not imagine soldering in that tight space.

What color goes where? I didnt think to take before photos so I would know what goes where.

Previously:
                            88 CVLX
                            01 Marquis

Comment

Brake switch has only two terminals, matters knot. Plenty of space for soldering. And use a 75 or 100w iron, not a gun., and not one of those usless low watt marketing hype irons.

Alex.

Comment

it really doesnt matter what goes where? thats odd

Previously:
                                88 CVLX
                                01 Marquis

Comment

Working...
                                X