No announcement yet.

kishy's 1985 Country Squire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its not hard to split, just have to drill out a shitload of rivets. I suspect you will not be able to drill holes and fasten the hinge without that access.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

If you have not done so already, I'd suggest some loosly hinged regular hinges, the reason being that if corrosion sets in on the piano hinge, it is going to jam solid, especially if there is a bit of misalignment, either from the plenum material deforming from heat/cold or just not flat to begin with.

Alex.

Comment

Progress, I think!

Better image of the failure:

Mocking up a solution after some hackery:

Yes, that does weaken the integrity of the flappy arm piece (the technical term for it) but I don't think the force exerted on it in that direction is strong enough to worry about.

Using a vacuum pump, all appears to function correctly now. Sealing is not quite airtight due to tolerance issues with my repair but it should be 99% more functional than it was before.

Yes, I'm planning to clean it before putting it back in the car.

Additional thoughts:
        This is the first time I've done this job, and while it's still apart and will be for a while, I'm no longer scared of it, so that's cool.
        However, I'm realizing I probably should have bought more of those $17Cdn heater cores at the time they were available, since it looks like the brass ones aren't to be had anymore.
        Last edited by kishy; 03-04-2018, 03:45 PM.

Current driver: Ranger
        Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
        | 88 TC | 91 GM
        Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
        Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
        | Junkyards

Comment

I used a slightly smaller hinge and just placed it under the arm piece to avoid cutting it. The hinge ends up not being perfectly centered on the door but it seems to work well enough.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah, I wanted to do that, but couldn't find a hinge that was shorter in height but still wide enough to reach far enough.

I don't doubt that such a hinge exists, but when you're at Home Depot at 8PM lugging your air plenum duct flap box thing around with you, you start to lose patience when none of the 400 types of hinge on display will fit your application.
            Last edited by kishy; 03-04-2018, 07:34 PM.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
            | Junkyards

Comment

Originally posted by kishy View Post

I don't doubt that such a hinge exists, but when you're at Home Depot at 8PM lugging your air plenum duct flap box thing around with you, you start to lose patience when none of the 400 types of hinge on display will fit your application.

Looks good as new.
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by kishy View Post
                ..I don't doubt that such a hinge exists, but when you're at Home Depot at 8PM lugging your air plenum duct flap box thing around with you, you start to lose patience when none of the 400 types of hinge on display will fit your application.
                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Growing somewhat impatient with the weather...the warm days are wet, and the dry sunny days are cold. Grr.

Rolled the wagon out of the garage today and pretty much completed the heater core re-install. Dash needs to go back on and hoses need to be hooked up, but overall, the hard stuff is done. It was too cold to take a chance on the windshield job so that remains a to-do.

Discovered two dead baby mice in the coolant overflow reservoir, and I'm pretty sure they got in there since I had the car running for the first time since that reservoir was bone dry before and didn't have mice in it. The grommet-like cap for it is missing, and the hole is just big enough for a little mouse looking for the source of a sweet smell...poor little guys. This introduces a new problem, which is how to get them out. Long needle-nose pliers to their tails, perhaps.

Picked up an air-powered caulk gun to hopefully make the urethane job for the windshield be a little better. Most anecdotes seem to say I'll never get it done with a manual caulk gun, so hopefully this will ensure it gets done. Really hoping for a nice hot day in the coming week or next weekend to knock that out because I need to get moving on the Lincoln exhaust, and the wagon needs to be outside for that.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                  | Junkyards

Comment

I found several dead mice in my overflow bottle once. Same deal, no rubber cap so in they went. I also found evidence of an attempted nest in the glovebox around the same time. That was some years ago before the car was stored indoors.

Comment

I have no sympathy for rodents. Better dead than alive. What worries me is there are most likely more of them. I picked up some of those plug in the wall emitter things for the garage. I haven't noticed any rodents yet but also keep mothballs in the engine bay of the cars that sit. Lincoln should get those too now as it also sits most of the time too. Might as well get a battery tender too... Freakin' flower pots...

I hear ya on the weather. Least on Saturday it wasn't too bad standing in the sun but I hate the wind.. Nothing like brake fluid to the face when you least expect.

Comment

Drain some coolant and leave it in a catch pan under the car. The rodent problem will take care of itself. Of course if you have some other animal you'd prefer to not poison to death, thats not a good solution.

People say mint leaves repel mice. I don't know if thats true, but it does smell nice and if you have it growing wild its cheap enough. Put some in a coffee filter with a twist tie to close it and it helps keep the car from getting musty smelling while parked.

Comment

I've also read Peppermint oil deters mice. I don't know if you dilute it with water or spray around the walls or just periodically place some drops along the likely entry points or whatever.
                          Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Working backwards on the timeline, I'm pretty sure the overflow reservoir took care of the remaining mice. I used to find mouse droppings in a few key spots in the garage, then at a certain point killed a fairly large mouse (did not really resemble a rat, more like a large mouse, maybe pregnant) with a snap trap by the back of the house, and after the wagon moved into the garage I never found new mouse droppings again. So more than likely it was mama who got her neck broken and her only living/resident babies that found their way into the antifreeze.

The 83 has been in the garage with the windows down for ages, I've looked very thoroughly through that car for any evidence of rodents and never found any.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                            | Junkyards

Comment

Perhaps they couldn't find a way up & in? I dunno about the pan of antifreeze idea. While it will kill them I certainly wouldn't want to attract them or other rodents.

Years ago at the house we rented we had problems with mice & rats. Under the house. It was a crawl space and I made the mistake of putting poison down there. Well, it worked, they died and then STANK. One time I couldn't find a corpse and that was brutal.

Comment

yeah when one dies somewhere it does reek horribly. I had one die in the kitchen sometime over the winter. No idea where or why, no poison since I have dogs, but it stunk for weeks. I suspect it was between the floor and the cabinets, but I wasn't about to destroy the kitchen cabinets to find that out. Mine are not constructed in such a way that you can remove them or take them apart. 1950s built by hand and in place, it was not meant to come apart.

Comment

Working...
                                X