My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320 aka The Benz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Third Brake Light Replaced

Took care of the third brake light this morning.

This is how it looked like before:

Couple LEDS are out.

And after:

Was able to swap the LED strip out of the replacement (NON Mercedes Benz) unit into the OEM housing. This enabled me to keep the factory third brake light lens and not be forced to swap in the aftermarket one. Will keep it as a spare of course.

Factory benz replacement would have cost me ~165 bucks. The TYC brand one only ran me ~72. I was happy I was able to reuse the factory lens. I did not feel like getting it out, cleaning up the adhesive and installing the new lens.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 87gtVIC; 09-06-2021, 02:44 PM.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
      Factory benz replacement would have cost me ~165 bucks. The TYC brand one only ran me ~72.
      OEM stuff is expensive as shit when it comes to german cars. Probably comes as no surprise but especially german cars really should be fixed with quality parts. But not going to the stealership doesn't have to mean cheap crap. Something like the brake light is fine as is, but good choice on the Lemförder ball joints, it's a real OEM brand for alot of manufacturers, and those ball joints should last a long time hopefully.
      1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
      1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Originally posted by Arquemann View Post
        OEM stuff is expensive as shit when it comes to german cars. Probably comes as no surprise but especially german cars really should be fixed with quality parts. But not going to the stealership doesn't have to mean cheap crap. Something like the brake light is fine as is, but good choice on the Lemförder ball joints, it's a real OEM brand for alot of manufacturers, and those ball joints should last a long time hopefully.
        Yes. I purchase stuff through https://www.autohausaz.com/

They seem to only offer oem or close to it on that site.
        ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Snapped a quick pic while at Aqueduct Racetrack.

Attached Files
          ~David~

Comment

This thing looks to be incredibly clean underneath! Always a NY car?
            **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
            **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
            **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
            **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Yes. Its whole life. The car grew up (lol) one town away from me. Fathers childhood friends parents purchased it new in 04. It was garaged the first ten years of it life (2004 to 2014) and then it had to live outside since.
              ~David~

Comment

Gave her a bath this morning.

Attached Files
                ~David~

Comment

Swapped the winter wheels and tires on the old gal and washed, clayed and one stepped the paint.

Attached Files
                  ~David~

Comment

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post858607

Well that was short lived. Crapped out after 3 months. lol

Decided to purchase the one I should have from the beginning....Oh well...

Swapped in the new mercedes lens too. Had a nice foam gasket and should help prevent water from getting in and ruining the LEDS.

BTW the aftermarket lamp I purchased had a chip fall off of it.

I then had a wire (ground) break in the harness leading up the trunk hinge. It took out the trunk popper, license plate lights, third brake light, and interior trunk light.

It was a common issue when researching it and I found the problem right away:

Broken brown ground wire snagged by the trunk hinge springs...

All the panel I had to remove to access the broken wire:

Happy this fix was free and only involved some solder and heat shrink and harness tape.
                    Attached Files
                    ~David~

Comment

I sometimes use mbonlineparts.com for genuine. Like Tasca for ford.
                      03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                      02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                      08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                      12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

why does your plate look like a melting ice cream cake?
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                          why does your plate look like a melting ice cream cake?
                          Total delamination/metal corrosion of the plate.
                          ~David~

Comment

Quality government production piece?

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                            Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Yeah. And they wont replace it for free. I either have to pay to have the same plate number, or get a new plate and pay for registration fee...all for their mess up. Plenty of people running around with ruined plates that started with f or g.
                              ~David~

Comment

Yes that plate is two plate types ago.

NY has 3 plate styles active these days. The current one is crappy IMnsHO. It was literally specified by the toll plate reader company so that general vehicle tracking and toll charges could be better enforced by computers.

And they are so darn interested in collecting taxes that they do make you pay extra to update the plate.

I am going to hang onto my old ones as long as they let me. Supposedly your annual safety/emissions inspection is required to flag beat-up plates so replacement can be ordered. I am not 100% sure about that. But I expect them to order us to replace the blue and white series soon. I think that style looks good on the Marauder but I like the gold the best.

David is right there are many plates on the road that are even worse than his.
                                Last edited by jaywish; 12-17-2021, 07:18 PM.
                                03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                                02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                                08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                                12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Working...
                                X