Jury-rigging wipers motor in '90 Country Squire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jury-rigging wipers motor in '90 Country Squire

So, the situation is like this: My CV is ready to drive, but the wipers are dead. I switch them on on the lever, but nothing happens (sometimes I hear a relay, but that's all). Washers work ok at the same time, so I guess the circuit breaker must also be ok. Looks like the motor itself is ok, too, as the garage swapped the one from Colony Park, and nothing changed. I presume there is a more severe problem with the wiring, eg. the lever itself is damaged, or the cable bus is broken somewhere. As I need to use the car quite soon, I was thinking of jury-rigging it - putting an external signal line, with a switch, to feed the motor with necessary input. I know that the motor has a 4-pin connector, one goes for ground, one is +12V, and I presume the two others are high and low speed. Can I simply run another +12V with a switch to one of these pins? Am I going to loose anything else than wipers parking in designated position?

I drove a while with a squeegee In my left hand.
    When I saw a cop, I prayed.
    Either the wiper motor or the wiper switch its bad.
    In my case after replacing the wiper motor, it was the switch in the turn signal lever.
    I know the feeling well.
    90 Colony Park LS with GT 40 heads and intake. HO cam, 65 MM TB, 67 MM EGR spacer. Has a 75 MM Pro Flow mass air sensor. Borla XS mufflers. 3L55. Shift kit, 2000 stall Tq convertor...Bilstein shocks, front and rear sway bars.
    90 Colony Park LS 64,000 miles all original. 3L55 tow package....front and rear sway bars.
    91 Grand Marquis GS....HO motor..Bilstein shocks poly bushings and police swaybars. This one handles the best.
    70 Torino Squire with M code 351 Cleveland 3.00 has Magnaflow mufflers. Hidden headlights and power windows. All original

Comment

I believe these are ground-side switched, not hot side. Check the EVTM to confirm, but it does have constant supply to make the parking stuff work. Pretty sure you should be able to ground the hi or lo wire and make it run. If that happens, it has to be a switch problem.

if the hot to the motor isn't good nothing works, if the ground isn't good the park doesn't work.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Hmm, I assumed they are hot ones, as three lines are covered with a red plastic in the connector, including the +12V. Certainly +12 is ok, so is the "main" ground. Do I get it correctly I should simply wire one of the signal outputs to the main ground to have it working? If so, why the hell did someone install a red plastic cape on those signal lines O_O

Thanks for the ideas!

Comment

Don't make any assumptions and I may be wrong. I'm not looking at the wiring diagram.

Also Ford colors don't always mean anything. The power feeds to the JBL amplifier option are red and yellow. Red is the ground, yellow is positive.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Ahhh the memory now kicks in.
            It was the wiper control module under the dash.
            90 Colony Park LS with GT 40 heads and intake. HO cam, 65 MM TB, 67 MM EGR spacer. Has a 75 MM Pro Flow mass air sensor. Borla XS mufflers. 3L55. Shift kit, 2000 stall Tq convertor...Bilstein shocks, front and rear sway bars.
            90 Colony Park LS 64,000 miles all original. 3L55 tow package....front and rear sway bars.
            91 Grand Marquis GS....HO motor..Bilstein shocks poly bushings and police swaybars. This one handles the best.
            70 Torino Squire with M code 351 Cleveland 3.00 has Magnaflow mufflers. Hidden headlights and power windows. All original

Comment

yeah the switch does go through that. The control module is what does the intermittent function but if thats dead it won't pass anything through to the wiper motor itself. There is a relay on it to pulse the thing on and off, so thats probably what you hear clicking.

Comment

Originally posted by stinkydogfilms View Post
                Ahhh the memory now kicks in.
                It was the wiper control module under the dash.
                Happened to me in my exploder. Module had cracked solder joints

Comment

Sorry to hijack, but my 88 Crown Vic wipers are slow even at the highest setting. Barely enough in a storm. The intermitent settings etc. still works (trying to say I can slow down further by turning the nob, etc.). So what should I check? Is that usually a sign of a weak wiper motor?

Comment

or the linkage is crusty and sticky. Might be worth pulling the motor and then moving the linkage by hand to see how stuck it is. Some oil dribbled into the various joints may free it up if it doesn't move well.

Comment

Ok, did a McGyver thing on the wipers. As the motor was working well when plugged directly to +12V, I simply unplugged the 4-pin connector, disconnected the horn, and used the +12v for horns to provide power for the wipers. Now, when pressing the horn, I get working wipers. Enough to drive back from the shop.

Comment

LOL, nice.
                        So, it sounds like the Multi-Function Switch is likely the issue?
                        On a '90 MGM/CV, and I'm pretty sure LTC also, you can for sure use the MFS from up to '94. Rockauto lists different part numbers for '90-'91 and '94 but I have a '94 MFS I put in one of my '91s. '95+ might work as well, but I don't have first hand experience to say for sure.

Knowing that you can use up to '94 (for sure, possibly later) could be useful for you since it may be harder for you to get parts on your side of the world, and gives you more options when it comes to price.
                        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Not sure which particular part is the root of the problem atm. I guess unplugging the switch, and trying to connect certain pins/ plugging the switch into an external source of power and checking the inputs could give me an answer. But that requires a bit more time than I have atm :/

Thanks for the protip of using the aero switch. There's a guy who has a donor car some ~300km from me, he might have a couple of parts.

Comment

Working...
                          X