No announcement yet.

95 "Grand Mercury" GS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I had some kind of precision cutter I might cut out the "M" logo and light that up. I had been thinking about illuminating the "Mercury" on the front bumper and wiring that in with the running lights. I've got a few mechanical and body work things to take core of before even thinking of lighting up trim... not to mention keeping up the Saturn, rebuilding the Camry, and don't get me started on the Beetle project. (Actually, I'd be happy to get started on the Beetle project. )

Update on the Merc:
    - Replaced the oil filter adapter gasket almost a week ago now. Haven't put on as many miles this week as I usually do, so I can't really tell if it's still losing oil.
    - Also changed the oil.
    - Broke out my new grinding disc (love it) and did some body work on the passenger door where I dented it while trying to deal with the old fender. Repainted the fender and the part of the door with the body work using the new blue. Someday I may regret covering my car in rattlecan paint, but most of the stuff I did in fall looks nice and I like being able to do touch-up by myself.
    - Tried to mess with the exhaust, but everything's rusted together. I have a feeling I'll need either a torch or a saw for this one.
    - Tried to take off the sway bar mounting bolts where they apparently rusted off. I've been hoping to re-mount that since I bought the car but I need new mounting bolts at least. Maybe a saw will help here too.

Next up:
    - Paint the rest of the bottom half of the car. As soon as I get some show-off pics of the color I'll post them here.
    - Junkyard run for a new gas tank filler tube. I see a trickle down the outside of the tube after I fill up, and it smells like gas in the trunk and with the windows rolled down.
    - (Maybe) LS corners. I didn't take out the lights when I repainted the fender (tsk), and I missed a spot when I was masking. So the corner of my corner light has a bit of blue on it.
    - Front brake rotors are warped. It's about time to stop the pulsing.
    - Coolant flush. The stuff that's in there has oil in it.
    - Something something exhaust. The resonator has a small leak and I was thinking maybe a glasspack might be in order. Also, the left rear O2 sensor appears to have snapped off. I eventually want a dual exhaust on this car, but it's not a priority considering the other work I have cut out for me.
    - Swaybar. Maybe it'll stop us getting seasick around corners.
    - Trac-loc. It's got a 2.73 open diff, and while I don't mind the highway gears (24+mpg at 75mph, 21 combined) I would like something that doesn't wuss out at the first hint of mud or snow. I might consider a different ratio as long as it doesn't impact my highway mileage too much, and depending on what I can find in the junkyard. Also not a huge priority.

So that's the current state of affairs with the Merc. Stay tuned to see if I actually do any of it!

1995 Grand Marquis GS
    - 156k miles, three-tone until I find my paint
    1990 Toyota Camry DX - 211k miles, someone else's future barn find
    1994 Saturn SW2 wagon - wife's car

Originally posted by SVT98t
    I'll make it fit.
    I own hammers.

Comment

Originally posted by rezwrrd View Post
      If I had some kind of precision cutter I might cut out the "M" logo and light that up. I had been thinking about illuminating the "Mercury" on the front bumper and wiring that in with the running lights. I've got a few mechanical and body work things to take core of before even thinking of lighting up trim... not to mention keeping up the Saturn, rebuilding the Camry, and don't get me started on the Beetle project. (Actually, I'd be happy to get started on the Beetle project. )

Update on the Merc:
      - Replaced the oil filter adapter gasket almost a week ago now. Haven't put on as many miles this week as I usually do, so I can't really tell if it's still losing oil.
      - Also changed the oil.
      - Broke out my new grinding disc (love it) and did some body work on the passenger door where I dented it while trying to deal with the old fender. Repainted the fender and the part of the door with the body work using the new blue. Someday I may regret covering my car in rattlecan paint, but most of the stuff I did in fall looks nice and I like being able to do touch-up by myself.
      - Tried to mess with the exhaust, but everything's rusted together. I have a feeling I'll need either a torch or a saw for this one.
      - Tried to take off the sway bar mounting bolts where they apparently rusted off. I've been hoping to re-mount that since I bought the car but I need new mounting bolts at least. Maybe a saw will help here too.

Next up:
      - Paint the rest of the bottom half of the car. As soon as I get some show-off pics of the color I'll post them here.
      - Junkyard run for a new gas tank filler tube. I see a trickle down the outside of the tube after I fill up, and it smells like gas in the trunk and with the windows rolled down.
      - (Maybe) LS corners. I didn't take out the lights when I repainted the fender (tsk), and I missed a spot when I was masking. So the corner of my corner light has a bit of blue on it.
      - Front brake rotors are warped. It's about time to stop the pulsing.
      - Coolant flush. The stuff that's in there has oil in it.
      - Something something exhaust. The resonator has a small leak and I was thinking maybe a glasspack might be in order. Also, the left rear O2 sensor appears to have snapped off. I eventually want a dual exhaust on this car, but it's not a priority considering the other work I have cut out for me.
      - Swaybar. Maybe it'll stop us getting seasick around corners.
      - Trac-loc. It's got a 2.73 open diff, and while I don't mind the highway gears (24+mpg at 75mph, 21 combined) I would like something that doesn't wuss out at the first hint of mud or snow. I might consider a different ratio as long as it doesn't impact my highway mileage too much, and depending on what I can find in the junkyard. Also not a huge priority.

So that's the current state of affairs with the Merc. Stay tuned to see if I actually do any of it!
      Is it the tube (doubtful) or the gaskets that are leaking for the filler area?? If the gaskets are faulty I'd do both!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
        Is it the tube (doubtful) or the gaskets that are leaking for the filler area?? If the gaskets are faulty I'd do both!
        Good call. Now that you mention it, it's probably the gaskets. I'll try that first. I had read somewhere on CVN that replacing the tube helped someone with similar symptoms, but as mine doesn't appear to be cracked just doing the gaskets might help.

Thanks for the tip!

Other suggestions were EVAP canister and holes accidentally drilled in the gas tank. It was a grandpa car before I owned it, so I doubt anyone would have been drilling in the trunk.

1995 Grand Marquis GS

I'll make it fit.
        I own hammers.

Comment

Originally posted by rezwrrd View Post
          Good call. Now that you mention it, it's probably the gaskets. I'll try that first. I had read somewhere on CVN that replacing the tube helped someone with similar symptoms, but as mine doesn't appear to be cracked just doing the gaskets might help.

Thanks for the tip!

Other suggestions were EVAP canister and holes accidentally drilled in the gas tank. It was a grandpa car before I owned it, so I doubt anyone would have been drilling in the trunk.

The PO's of my '95, in their infinite wisdom, drilled into the gas tank to install a sound system and then put an air freshener in the trunk to cover it up!!!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

The rest of the story:

I guess I kind of fell off the forums for a few years. I did replace the filler tube and did the front brakes (which required an impact and a lot of heat), but went from 'modify mode' into 'repair mode' in late 2015. Once I started working full time I couldn't afford to have my daily in the garage for a day or two, plus I moved to an apartment with a garage that could only fit the Saturn.

I didn't want to mess with the front suspension because I knew once I started replacing it, it would all have to go. So we drove the Saturn on trips and I only used the Mercury in town, until one January day when I was pulling out of a parking lot and the car started making some loud creaking noises. I thought it might be a seized caliper until I got out and saw the wheel was turned sideways from where it should have been, and the outer tie rod was dragging on the ground. I strapped it together with a bootlace and crawled it to a mechanic I trust to do the jobs that are out of my league, who confirmed my suspicion that the suspension was toast. After a week's worth of deliberating I decided it was time to move on and invest my time and money on something that wasn't rusting through.

After moving into town I'd been doing a lot less highway driving, so the mileage had plummeted from 22MPG average to around 13. I wanted something more efficient, and with a 5-speed. So I decided it was time to say goodbye to the mighty Merc. It was hard to let the old heap go, and the tools, parts, and junk I'd been stockpiling in the trunk took up most of the bed of my coworker's pickup. I ended up getting an Accord, but I can already tell there are a lot of ways it will never live up to the Grand Marquis' legacy. At least it's got less rust, and the heater works.

1995 Grand Marquis GS

I'll make it fit.
            I own hammers.

Comment

All that to say I'm still alive but I'm out of a Panther for now. I could maybe see myself in a whale in the future if I end up with another highway commute, but I won't be starting out with another rust bucket like my dearly departed Merc. It's hard enough to keep up with deterioration in the rust belt, but impossible to catch up once it's past a certain point. For now I'll be living the 4cyl FWD life and dreaming of the good ol' one wheel rear peel.

1995 Grand Marquis GS

I'll make it fit.
              I own hammers.

Comment

Well still feel free to drop by! Plenty of stuff still going on around here. Sorry to hear about the car, but rust is one thing I'm glad I don't deal with. Too many headaches.

My Cars:
                -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Working...
                X