No announcement yet.

vinyl or no vinyl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vinyl definitely doesn't make the difference between a "Granny Car" and a "Hot-Rod". The Double D's are what make the difference between a "Granny Car" and a "Hot-Rod": Driver & Drivetrain. Nothing more, Nothing less.

The Box Panther is a "Granny Car" in the minds of 90% of the people out there, regardless of if they are Vinyl or Slicktop, 500HP or 150HP. These cars will never be a "Granny Car" to me, Vinyl or Slicktop.

Comment

Originally posted by LTDMan83 View Post
      Vinyl definitely doesn't make the difference between a "Granny Car" and a "Hot-Rod". The Double D's are what make the difference between a "Granny Car" and a "Hot-Rod": Driver & Drivetrain. Nothing more, Nothing less.

The Box Panther is a "Granny Car" in the minds of 90% of the people out there, regardless of if they are Vinyl or Slicktop, 50HP or 150HP. These cars will never be a "Granny Car" to me, Vinyl or Slicktop.
      Well said mang.

Comment

I was planning on having mine redone over the summer and those pics are helping to prepare me some. I'm figuring that my roof may have some rust issues, but we've always been fairly good and rinsing out the opera window's gutters so the leaves & dirt don't get trapped and rust like in those pics. SMS Auto Fabrics already quoted me I think about $260 + shipping for a perfect match (color and fit) replacement and I'd pay a pro to put the new one on. I just have to budget some extra in case the roof needs major repair or repaint before the new vinyl goes on.
        sigpic
        1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
        Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

about only way i like the vinyl tops on the cars is if they have a coach roof.
          Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

For some reason I'm the opposite. I like seeing that big window from the back and the way the interior trim panels are done without the coach roof. To me the coach always seemed to have an after market feel to it. Plus, w/o the coach, I think those rear windows have some of the best visibility on any car around.
            sigpic
            1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
            Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

The man wants a real hot rod look.

I stated my opinion, and certainly you fools don't agree.

Fine and dandy, but I still think you guys are whack. :nonono:
              Last edited by Grand Marquis GT; 04-02-2008, 03:43 PM.
              1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
              Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

I kinda want to redo my merk's top with the thin unpadded grain vinyl they used on old muscle cars like camaros and challengers. Either that or if the roll on paint job works i'm gonna two tone my merk. Top in black, lower in dark grey.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
                My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

I've always thought that the old 60's 70's Muscle Cars (Ford,GM,& Chrysler) looked 10X better with the roof fully wrapped in non-padded Vinyl.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                    1.) Fix rust.
                    2.) Locate chrome rear window trim (from a '79-'87 slicktop Ford/Merc or any '88-'91 Ford/Merc without the Brougham roof [read small rear window]). Then locate chrome rear side window trim from a Ford 2-Dr.
                    3.) Paint and slicktop that Merc.

Note: DON'T Slicktop without getting the chrome trim!
                    What's the difference in the trim? My '81 has funky naugahyde-wrapped rear window trim (same with the bits above the rear wheels), but the side window trim looks offhand like it'd be just fine if the car were to ever become a slicktop.

Originally posted by Nathan in MN View Post
                    Like I said, though, just for the sake of keeping the sheet metal from rusting, I'd leave the vinyl off. I've seen too many cars get huge rust spots right at the bottom of the C-pillar because of vinyl tops.
                    Huh. I hadn't thought of vinyl as a big cause of rust. I really don't want to remove mine since it's in nice shape, no cracks or anything .... wonder how I can check for rust without having to remove the vinyl. I assume the quarter-window trim attaches with regular trim clips same as the windshield trim and wagon quarter-window trim?

Originally posted by Grand_Marquis_GT View Post
                    Ditch the vinyl!

Trust me, the "work" will be WELL worth it with the final looks. you want a hotrod, or a granny car?

Well, if you have a vinyl top, it ain't a hot rod. Sorry, Charlie...
                    Guess you told us!

Originally posted by 87_crown_vic View Post
                    about only way i like the vinyl tops on the cars is if they have a coach roof.
                    Is that the funky one with the small-looking rear window? I've often wondered how those work. Is there just a bunch of extra trim that overlays part of a regular rear window?
                    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

how many hot rods you ever seen with vinyl? for that look go slick top

Comment

Actually, if you look, there are quite a few.

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                          Huh. I hadn't thought of vinyl as a big cause of rust. I really don't want to remove mine since it's in nice shape, no cracks or anything .... wonder how I can check for rust without having to remove the vinyl. I assume the quarter-window trim attaches with regular trim clips same as the windshield trim and wagon quarter-window trim?
                          You can wait until the paint starts to bubble directly under the point where the vinyl ends at the bottom of the C-pillar, but by then things are probably getting pretty scary-looking underneath...

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
                          1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
                          But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                            Is that the funky one with the small-looking rear window? I've often wondered how those work. Is there just a bunch of extra trim that overlays part of a regular rear window?

It's actually a smaller rear window set into a fiberglass shell.

The Coach Roof was a premium, dealer upgrade option on all of the top of the line boxes. The rear window shell, and interior rear Headliner piece were both made by a company called CFC (Cincinnati Fiberglass Company).

My biggest Turn-Off with the Reg & Slicktop boxes is the Large Rear Window. I absolutely hate large rear windows in any vehicle of any kind, and in these cars the large rear window significantly takes away from the "Privacy" and "Comfort" factor to me.

That being said, If I could have a slicktop with a smaller rear window, at least as small as the coach roof rear window, then I would be all for it. Someday, I may try and custom build a slicktop with a Coach Roof rear window. :cutit: :welder:

Comment

Hey I took that pic!
                              1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                              Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Originally posted by LTDMan83 View Post
                                That being said, If I could have a slicktop with a smaller rear window, at least as small as the coach roof rear window, then I would be all for it. Someday, I may try and custom build a slicktop with a Coach Roof rear window. :cutit: :welder:
                                Thanks for the quick tutorial, mang. Is that feature the reason why some cars seem to have the rear window at a different angle (more vertical)?

Coach Roof slicktop is actually kind of a neat idea .... I wonder how a person would make that work .....
                                2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Working...
                                X