Power steering on GM 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power steering on GM 2008

Hi guys, I noticed some malfunction on my power steering. Level of fluid is good, no leak, belt tension is good. I’d like to hear some advise before I go any further.
    It’s working fine but randomly it stops then catch it again and so on so on. Any suggestions?
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does the fluid have bubbles floating in it when it does this? There could be a seal in the pump that is sucking air and causing a no-assist condition. There could also be an issue with the variable assist if equipped. I'm assuming you mean that the steering suddenly gets difficult (turns into manual steering) then returns to normal. Also, if this is during fast steering input only and not just casual turning, you may be exceeding the momentary capacity of the system. I have that issue with my 93 and my wife's 2000 when doing quick turns and it will fight me when trying to center the wheels to go straight in the new direction.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
      Does the fluid have bubbles floating in it when it does this? There could be a seal in the pump that is sucking air and causing a no-assist condition. There could also be an issue with the variable assist if equipped. I'm assuming you mean that the steering suddenly gets difficult (turns into manual steering) then returns to normal. Also, if this is during fast steering input only and not just casual turning, you may be exceeding the momentary capacity of the system. I have that issue with my 93 and my wife's 2000 when doing quick turns and it will fight me when trying to center the wheels to go straight in the new direction.
      Thanks for replying Sly! Yes, it behaves as you described.

Comment

How long does the "manual" sterering feel last? Very momentary, or stays around for a bunch of degrees of steering?

Comment

Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post
          How long does the "manual" sterering feel last? Very momentary, or stays around for a bunch of degrees of steering?
          About 3 to 5 seconds. And doesn’t matter how much I turn .

Comment

Originally posted by uraxon View Post
            About 3 to 5 seconds. And doesn’t matter how much I turn .

Just checked for those bubbles. No bubbles at all. What did you mean about the overloaded system? Thank you!

Comment

The system can only handle so much steering input before it will load up and can't push any more. It's usually the change of direction (turning one way then going back to center) that is the problem. You're not having that issue and it sounds like the pump is not the issue (as far as the seals are concerned). It may be the variable assist valve that's being an issue. If you have an electrical connection to the power steering pump, disconnect it and it should default to full assist at all times. If you still have the issue after that, there's probably something binding in the system or the fluid needs flushed or the pump or rack has a fluid bypass issue that's bypassing the assist pressure.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Believe this thread needs to be moved to the Aero/Whales.

***Only applicable if you live in a state that uses road salt, or the car resided in a state that used it previously - sounds like you have binding steering shafts under the hood. Grab a can of WD-40 and shoot at each steering joint you see under the hood, see if it makes it better.
                -Nick M.
                Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
                03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

Its probably the steering shaft. The '03+ cars use a funky tripple u-joint setup where the shaft meets the steering rack due to the odd angle in that spot. The u-joints are known to bind up with age causing the steering to feel momentarily heavy until you get past the position where its binding. This will be especially bad after the car has been parked awhile, like overnight, on a damp day as the failing joint will want to lock up until its been moved a few times. The lower steering shaft was recalled on all '05-'11 Panthers for this exact issue, however I believe there was a caveat in the recall that it only applied to cars in the "rust belt", but I've heard of people outside of the rust belt successfully getting Ford to honor the recall after demonstrating the issue involved. If you want to try it out, take a good penetrating oil and hose down the u-joints and work the wheel back and forth, and repeat a few times, if that resolves the problem then at least you know what it is even if that is a temporary solution. My '96 suffered from the problem due to having sat for several years, they only have 1 exposed u-joint in them like a box body but they can suffer the same issue, since there wasn't any play in the joint I just hosed it with penetrating oil every 6 months or so and the issue never returned.
                  -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
                  1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
                  1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
                  1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Comment

Yeah, that shaft recall is done, they did it like two years ago. But I will try to spray it. Will see what happened. Thanks a lot guys for your help!

Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2008

Comment

Originally posted by TecNickal View Post
                      Believe this thread needs to be moved to the Aero/Whales.
                      Good catch... moved.

Comment

Well, I did spray both joints and also find out that the heat shield is loose. And interfere with shaft. I’m not sure if that might cost the problem but after removing the shield I did a test drive and problem disappeared.

Comment

Probably a combination of things, but removing the contact issue will probably solve the issue in the short term. It should be re-attached securely to prevent heat damage though. Using some grease on the joints and on the slip shaft of the steering shaft will also help with binding. Something that won't flash off like regular WD-40. A penetrating lube would work, especially when coated with some axle grease. I make sure to keep my wife's 2000 lubed since that shaft is also prone to binding but wasn't included in the recall.

Comment

Originally posted by uraxon View Post
                            Well, I did spray both joints and also find out that the heat shield is loose. And interfere with shaft. I’m not sure if that might cost the problem but after removing the shield I did a test drive and problem disappeared.

Put that back on and tighten the bolts down if you can. That shield prevents the joints getting too hot from the heat of the exhaust manifold which will prematurely dry up any grease and stiffen them up!

At least you found the issue though.
                            -Nick M.
                            Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
                            03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

I spray mine regularily with motorcycle chain lube. Seems to work, no heat shield on my car when I got it, havn't given that a second thought.

Comment

Working...
                              X