No announcement yet.

85 Grand Marq Tudor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

heh... yeah... noting which 10º mark to use is sometimes overlooked when in a hurry to get it working to sell. Looks like you got one of those.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I'm surprised to hear it fired up and went on 10* ADTC. All the SEFI cars I've futzed with definitely did not like trying to start easily with the timing near or past 0*. Guess CFI finds a way.

Engine bay looks really nice after your smog de-cluttering.

My Cars:
      -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
      -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
      -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
      -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

I have that same timing light. 'Twas a gift from my Dad.
        —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
        1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
        1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
        1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

wow that might be the cleanest CFI engine bay I remember seeing. Good to hear it got some power back! Now it's safe from an engine swap for another month
          -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

I drove all the way to Virginia once before realizing mine was at 10 ATDC. Ran like ass and ate fuel like mad, realized I was an idiot, fixed the timing, all was well.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Hah, I have the same timing light as well. Kishy will attest that a CFI will keep right up with an SEFI. He and I ran neck at neck several years ago, his '84 LTC against my '88 LTC.
              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Glad to hear I'm, not the only one who has had to deal with the way off timing. It actually started and ran pretty much fine, was just gutless as all hell.

Also, I love that timing light, was a trade in on a tool truck many years ago that I picked up for next to nothing. Nice made in USA Craftsman.

Ignition switch failed the other day. Was perfectly fine, then acted up one day; the day after it was done, couldn't even play with it to keep it running.
                It was an original with the dumb do not tamper screws. A 7/16 / 11 Turbo Socket makes easy work of removing them. Grabbed a newer switch off a steering column I had laying around and swapped it in, all good.
                2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

For the first time in my life I had to use AAA. Have been a member for 14 years (comes in handy, like when I needed an International Drivers License when I went to Japan)

Was driving home from checking out (and subsequently buying) a 93 Dodge Stealth R/T, when it decided to die. No spits or sputters, just shut off. I just missed the only off ramp in site by ~100ft. Was on the I-190 (A thruway) and they really don't like anyone but contracted tow companies picking up vehicles from there (otherwise I would have grabbed it myself). Had the guy (really cool dude who loved the car) drop it off at my work since it was less than 10 min away. I suspect an ignition problem (TFI module or maybe that stupid MSD coil?) It would crank and fart off a few times but wouldn't fire up. Didn't dive into any diag yet, gonna bring a spare TFI module and coil tomorrow and see what's up.

2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                  2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                  2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                  1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

That timing light is a nice piece, feels like it's built really well. Had to get mine of eBay but I don't think I paid much for it either.

I also take pics of my cars on flat beds. They look good despite being broken. Sucks it died but yeah, could be that dumb MSD coil, TFI or PIP sensor. Each time my MSD failed on me it did exactly that- just died with no warning. Nothing like going to pull out in traffic only for the thing to die midway and then brace yourself for impact..
                    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

85 Grand Marq Tudor

My vote also is for the MSD coil failing. I had a brand new one crap out on a different car after only 100 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That car is absolutely stunning. Fantastic find.

Indeed, I've had pretty good luck with EEC-IV CFI on both my 84 and 85*. When all is fine and happy in CFI-land, it drives at least almost as well as SEFI.

I will lean towards the coil being the problem, paying no regard to specific brand, if only because I've gone through more coils than I have TFI modules.

*: 84 had my head spinning with issues initially, none inherently due to CFI but definitely could be blamed on the age of the harness and some harness design elements that are period correct to CFI. It's been rock solid since.
                        Last edited by kishy; 05-25-2021, 09:32 PM.

Current driver: Ranger
                        Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                        | 88 TC | 91 GM
                        Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                        Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                        | Junkyards

Comment

didn't notice the timing light, but I have the "murdered out" version of it. Same light, no chrome. I think I got that thing when I was messing with the distributor springs on the twin carb engine I put in my first car back in 1999.

yes I'm old and I keep things forever. Piss off.
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                            didn't notice the timing light, but I have the "murdered out" version of it. Same light, no chrome. I think I got that thing when I was messing with the distributor springs on the twin carb engine I put in my first car back in 1999.

Does your timing light say Craftsman? I realized I have the same style timing light, except mine just says 'SEARS' and has a all black body as well.

My Cars:
                            -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                            -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                            -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                            -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

I think it may be Sears branded now that you mention it.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post

I need to take a picture of the one I have. It's exactly the same as the one he has. I also have a dwell tachometer that my dad used. They're just kind of sitting around now.
                                —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
                                1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
                                1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
                                1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

Working...
                                X