No announcement yet.

Buyer's Remorse (AKA "Hideous") - Giraffe's 1990 Grand Marquis LS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some more small things. Replaced the front door lock actuators and the fuel filler cap (strap was broken). I bought a Harbor Freight rivet gun since I didn't feel like fooling around with a bolt inside the door. The only problem I encountered is that the rod on the driver's side for the arm rest lock indicator is bent (I think), preventing the lock from functioning when it was attached to the indicator. I left it disconnected for now. Other than that, it's nice to finally be able to lock all four doors.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0025.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	1281642 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0026.jpg
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	1281643
    —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
    1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
    1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
    1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

Replaced the passenger side mirror glass with a NOS piece I picked up. The passenger glass must have been broken at some point and replaced by a previous owner with standard, non-convex glass. The passenger mirror was all but useless, but no more!

Name:	DSC_0031.jpg
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	1281664

I also took a chance with some Dorman replacement door handles. I replaced the driver's side today since it had the most slop (it was missing the rod bushing). It's much tighter now, but I'm not entirely satisfied with the look. I'm watching some NOS Ford handles on eBay which I'll likely be picking up and squirreling away for down the road when this car gets a new paint job. I decided to attach it with rivets because a rivet gun was cheap and I don't feel like having to re-tighten them. I know someone will say a nylock nut won't loosen, but experience tells me otherwise. That being said, I got my hands on some nice rivets that are very comparable to the originals. They were a bear to install. I think it was worth it, though.

Name:	DSC_0035.jpg
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	1281665

Next project will be flushing the radiator with a t-fitting. I'm still experiencing low heat and cooling issues when the ambient temp is anywhere above 80°. It really needs to be addressed before the real Texas summer weather hits. Also on the to-do list is restoring the junkyard tail lights I picked up last year.
      —John

1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)

Comment

Nice door handles. Shiny chrome once again.

Im afraid of the rivets for the door handles. Once that damn gun pops the head always seems to find your paint and gouges it.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
          Nice door handles. Shiny chrome once again.

Im afraid of the rivets for the door handles. Once that damn gun pops the head always seems to find your paint and gouges it.
          It actually did. Not too concerned about it considering the state of the paint anyway. Precautions will be taken in the future such as masking tape and foam to avoid damaging a future new paint job.
          —John

Comment

I took the week off to catch up on home projects and get some junkyard runs in. I managed to get my hands on some good parts.

I found a great yard just outside Sunset, TX off of US 287 called Browne's Auto Salvage. This place has a lot of older stuff going back to the '40s. Most of the later stuff they have is completely untouched. They had a '90 CV and a '90 Town Car I pulled from.

I pulled the fan shroud and bottle from the Town Car as my old one had been broken after a run in with the family car (had it removed sitting behind the family car when the wife backed over it). This shroud and bottle ended up being in much better shape anyway. The bottle even appears to be have been replaced with a genuine Ford part.

I also grabbed the breather tube (to replace my original which cracked when I stepped on it), the driver's a-pillar trim (to replace my original which also cracked when I stepped on it), and a complete cluster from the '90 CV. I've been wanting to replace the silver-faced Mercury cluster with a black CV unit, but couldn't find any for sale anywhere. Also scored a passenger sun visor to replace my original which was missing the lid.

Name:	DSC_0039.jpg
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	1281751 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0040.jpg
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	1281752 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0041.jpg
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	1281753 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0042.jpg
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	1281754 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0043.jpg
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	1281755

Some pictures of the '90 Town Car and an '82 Town Car Cartier.

Name:	IMG_3946.jpg
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	1281756 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3951.jpg
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	1281757 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3952.jpg
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	1281758 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3953.jpg
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	1281759 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3954.jpg
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	1281760
            —John

Comment

Some more pictures of the cars there.

1969 Thunderbird, the '90 CV from which I pulled most of my parts, a 1967 Country Sedan with the 390 still in it, aero CVPI with a 5 axle code (open 3.27); I'll likely go back for some parts off this. And a random GM.

Name:	IMG_3940.jpg
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	1281761 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3942.jpg
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	1281762 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3943.jpg
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	1281763 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3944.jpg
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	1281764 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3945.jpg
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	1281765

Couple of MGB GTs, a Studebaker Lark, ice cream truck, early-'80s Thunderbird.

Name:	IMG_3941.jpg
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	1281766 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3947.jpg
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	1281767 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3948.jpg
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	1281768 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3949.jpg
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	1281769 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3950.jpg
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	1281770
              —John

Comment

A few more.

AMC Cross Country Rambler wagon, old Ford Fiesta, and a '77 Grand Prix (grandma used to own one, traded it in on a brand new Mercury Cougar XR7 in 1994).

Name:	IMG_3955.jpg
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	1281771 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3956.jpg
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	1281772 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3957.jpg
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	1281773 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3958.jpg
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	1281774

I had a great time checking this place out. I went to three other yards as well. Only one had any more panthers to speak of (all 1992+), however, I didn't get anything else as I was already out of cash.

The CV cluster I pulled will need new odometer gears (don't they all) which are on order. Good day!
                —John

Comment

I need the rear bumper cover off that Aero CVPI (unless that's a crack in the middle of it above the license plate bracket). No painting required! If the front one is good, I could use that one too.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

That place looks like a gold mine. Good finds!
                    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

They have a facebook page where they're always posting pictures of new cars being brought in and some of the things people are buying.

https://www.facebook.com/Browneautosalvage/
                      —John

Comment

I should also mention all that I got at the first yard cost me $100. Not too shabby for all that.

One more yard I want to try to check out tomorrow. A place called K&K Motors about an hour south of me in Graham, TX. Based of a parts search for an engine, they have at least twelve panthers in the yard, maybe more. I really wish I could just do a straight vehicle search without being told to select a specific part.
                        Attached Files
                        —John

Comment

Originally posted by Giraffe View Post
                          ... and a complete cluster from the '90 CV. I've been wanting to replace the silver-faced Mercury cluster with a black CV unit, but couldn't find any for sale anywhere.
                          Maybe I need to start listing some of the junk I have, since I have a few of those . I would have gladly traded you for that silver faced Mercury one, since they look nice, IMO, and I can't find one anywhere.

My other clusters have come from '92-'94 Marquis models, however I have a cluster chassis from '90 LTD also laying about. There's some minor variations between '90-'91, '92, '93-'94 clusters, however. It generally boils down to different positioning of certain information lights, and cluster grounds.
                          Last edited by Kodachrome Wolf; 05-12-2017, 12:49 AM.

My Cars:
                          -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                          -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                          -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                          -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

The yards around here only list vehicle inventory, if you want to know if they have a part you have to go check it out.

KW, I've got at least 1.5 '91 MGM clusters. One is whole, the other has the rear cut out and the printed circuit plastic is gone but everything else is there. Although the whole one I won't have access to for a while since it's in the trunk of The Ice Car and the next time I head that way will probably be a while.
                            Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                            ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                            ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
                              The yards around here only list vehicle inventory, if you want to know if they have a part you have to go check it out.

KW, I've got at least 1.5 '91 MGM clusters. One is whole, the other has the rear cut out and the printed circuit plastic is gone but everything else is there. Although the whole one I won't have access to for a while since it's in the trunk of The Ice Car and the next time I head that way will probably be a while.
                              All I'm looking for is the speedometer head. Everything else is moot since my car has a '92 cluster chassis. Somehow I've wound up with two '92 speedometer heads in a '90 and '93 chassis, the latter being kinda stripped of some components.

My Cars:
                              -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                              -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                              -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                              -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
                                Maybe I need to start listing some of the junk I have, since I have a few of those . I would have gladly traded you for that silver faced Mercury one, since they look nice, IMO, and I can't find one anywhere.

My other clusters have come from '92-'94 Marquis models, however I have a cluster chassis from '90 LTD also laying about. There's some minor variations between '90-'91, '92, '93-'94 clusters, however. It generally boils down to different positioning of certain information lights, and cluster grounds.
                                Haha! Well that's too bad. I would have gladly traded. I should go ahead and put the Mercury cluster up for sale since the odometer gears are good now.
                                —John

Comment

Working...
                                X