My First Car Ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1987cp
    How's the 260 run? According to Car Craft, they were complete heaps similar to the Ford 255 output-wise, and they were so bad in other ways that Monzas sold in California got 350s because they couldn't get the 260 to pass emissions.

It's smooth and has V8 rumble. This one's got a stopped up cat so I can't say how well it runs from personal experience. Right now with the stopped up cat it runs like it's pushing about 35 horses to the rear wheels. But my dad tells me it was pretty much gutless when it was new and 5th gear was useless unless you were going over 75MPH. I think it was rated at 110hp so even in fine tune it's not going to be a tire roaster.

I'm not sure of what kind of transmission, some sources sat it's a Borg-Warner T-50. Whatever it is, it sounds like a Muncie Rock Crusher in first gear. I asked my dad about it, thinking maybe the synchro's were shot or something. He said it's made that sound since it was new. Pretty cool stuff.

Blaze, why did us tried and true Ford guys come home in '70's GM stuff?
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I think I may have been brought home in my dad's old early 80's Civic. I may have to kill myself if that's the truth.
      88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
      Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Originally posted by 88Vic
        I think I may have been brought home in my dad's old early 80's Civic. I may have to kill myself if that's the truth.

Ouch mang, that'd suck.
        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I hoping that I was brought home in his Belvedere, that would be acceptable for me. If not, I may have to kill my old man.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaze86Vic
            It's ok, I was brought home in the back of a Yellow/Black 79 Camaro!
            I was brought home from the hospital in my dad's 77 Mercury Grand Marquis 2 door brougham edition (460/c6). It took two days to get me home as it couldn't make it on the roads (snow storm). Quite ironic that I ended up driving the same make and model car 10 years newer 20 years later.
            Current rides - 1991 Ford Thunderbird 3.8 v6 (gas saver/DD) - New Heads/Headgaskets with ARP studs, Air Silencer Delete, 70mm MAF, Plasti-dipped Matte Black with a Silver Metalflake Overlay, Muffler Delete, some LED's, 30.233 MPG for high MPG average!
            2006 Jeep Wrangler 4WD (fun vehicle/backup DD) - 4.0/6spd - too many mods to list.

Associated Panthers:
            Father's 1994 Ford Crown Victoria - Stock, 45,000 miles.
            Sold in 2007 - 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "Grandpa Special" 2 door.
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2128327

Comment

my dad has always owned a Ford. so i know damn well what i was brought home in. even when i was far from being thought of being made, he owned a 1969 Mustang Coupe 5 spd. it wasnt a fast back since he hates them as well as i do. he brags how he was able to smoke the tires in every gear. wish i could find one and rub it in. though it might cause me to lose the car since he would want it.
              Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

Originally posted by 87_crown_vic
                my dad has always owned a Ford. so i know damn well what i was brought home in. even when i was far from being thought of being made, he owned a 1969 Mustang Coupe 5 spd. it wasnt a fast back since he hates them as well as i do. he brags how he was able to smoke the tires in every gear. wish i could find one and rub it in. though it might cause me to lose the car since he would want it.
                That's pretty cool, especially since '69 to '71 or whatever were some of the best-looking Mustangs ever built. But I thought they only came with automatics or different versions of the Toploader four-speeds?

I think that story and the '77 Marquis 7.5L are about neck-and-neck for coolness so far ...
                2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I just checked with my mom. The first car I ever rode in was her 88 Voyager. Knowing that my first ride was in a minivan is pretty depressing, but at least it's American. My dad's Civic i'm pretty sure was assembled in Japan and shipped over here. That would've been terrible.

Comment

I just checked with my mom. The first car I ever rode in was her 88 Voyager. Knowing that my first ride was in a minivan is pretty depressing, but at least it's American. My dad's Civic i'm pretty sure was assembled in Japan and shipped over here. That would've been terrible.
                    dude, that sucks. I'd rather have been carted around in a quality import than a front-wheel-drive minivan.

Comment

You call an 81 Civic a quality import? That thing was one of the rustiest POS's I ever saw. The only good thing about it was it was a manual.

Comment

Ah, I hadn't realized it had a major rust issue. Weren't the '81 models still rear-wheel-drive, though? All together, now ... "VTEC swap!!!"

Comment

The Civic was never RWD from the factory, nor was the Accord. The Corolla on the other hand, was RWD a while ago but switched to FWD in the mid 80's.

Comment

The Civic was never RWD from the factory, nor was the Accord. The Corolla on the other hand, was RWD a while ago but switched to FWD in the mid 80's.
                            Maybe I got it wrong. I could swear my ricer pals said the first Civics and Accords imported to the US were RWD. I'll have to call them and double-check.

I think it'd be fun to find a '84-'88 Corolla, though.

Comment

Very nice Ben....
                              I likey! Very much so!
                              sigpic
                              1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

I was brought home in an '89 Probe GT with a 5spd

Nice Olds Tiggie, can't wait to see it get fixed up.
                                Nick
                                88 Colony Park LS
                                G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
                                Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

Working...
                                X