Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for exhaust advice. 1986 crown Victoria Partial ho swap.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for exhaust advice. 1986 crown Victoria Partial ho swap.

Engine Is out on the 1986 Vic. Exhaust is so rusted it's absurd. I'm just going to cut it all out.

Here's the parts I am looking at. I ordered a pair of patriot 70 inch side pipes.

I am looking at a pair of BBK 1515 shorty headers.

These will fit I'm 99% sure these will fit. The only thing I am uncertain about is the h or x pipe.

I'm looking at at the bbk 1661 x pipe as it has o2 bungs in it.

You guys are a lot more knowledgeable about this subject matter than I. If I headers and the x pipe will fit then I can work on routing the side pipes. I just need some advice on headers and H or X pipes.

The shorties will fit, H-pipe will most likely work. I used a Mustang H on my wagon and it fit perfect, I have a stainless X on there now and it fits but could be better(a little close to the trans pan).

LOUD EXHAUST IS FUN! AM I SHOUTING?
    1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

Lol the 70' inch side pipes have mufflers in them. So it shouldn't be louder than what it was. The top half of the factory y pipe is gone. The car shouldn't be as loud. It's been a salt belt car all its life. I'm amazed only the exhausted is rusted to Swiss cheese.
      Jumped on the headers and X pipe.

This should help getting the engine in a lot easier if I don't have rusted exhaust in the way of everything. Now that the cats are gone I should be able to remove the smog pump and some of the rats nest associated with it.
      Last edited by DrHax; 08-11-2017, 01:33 PM.

Comment

SOunds like you have it figured out.

I purchased a X-pipe from JEGS a couple years ago in anticipation of the engine swap. I am hoping to piece it out and get it all to fit better than the old Mustang shorty, H-pipe, and Impala mid and tailpipe set up. Got used Doug's Headers for a 351W '67 - '70 Mustang. The part number matched up to what used to be used for 5.0L Ranger swaps. I hope to get those headers to fit without too much trouble. They cleaned up real nice though.

Comment

70 inch sounds heinously long. Depending on where the inlets land you'd be wasting money buying an h or x-pipe. most likely have to just do downpipes that turn out to meet those sidepipes. Interesting though, would love to hear how this comes out sounding/looking.

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
            70 inch sounds heinously long. Depending on where the inlets land you'd be wasting money buying an h or x-pipe. most likely have to just do downpipes that turn out to meet those sidepipes. Interesting though, would love to hear how this comes out sounding/looking.
            The x pipe I got comes in two pieces with the part that goes to the headers being separate from the X pipe, unlike most which are split in half. So in a worse case scenario I could just forgo the x pipe part.

Comment

Turns out the X pipe part was forgo'd but eh! the down pipes that came with it worked out great!

Here's a mock up I sent to a friend to see what he thought.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	21618267_1594869220563853_958934901_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	1282257

I'm going down a different root then most I feel with this car.

I am most likely going to have to trim that tail pipe as I have a slight fear of how far it sticks into the wheel well. The exhaust is in three parts and the shield covers up the clamps. It's a rather nicely designed system. I am really curious to how its going to sound, because the old engine was pretty "mild" sounding even with 95% of the exhaust being an exhaust leak.

This engine with open headers sounds like a muscle car. So either the exhaust is going to quiet it down, or give it a mean sound.

I have no idea how this car is going to drive. Even with the stock LoPo it was still hauling butt around town. Don't ask me how. This new engine with the truck cam in should be interesting. I ended up using the stock upper on it since I don't have a bored out spacer. Just did not seem worth the hassle of mix matching parts. Once again going onto the shelf of parts I may need 3 and 1/2 years from now. Though with how crazy this vic is I'll probably end up finding a blower for it and cutting the hood Might as well go full mad max right?

Oh yes another thing. Does anybody ANYBODY out there at all have any of the granny trim pieces. I would like to get some of them to replace some of mine that are either eroded or missing.

Comment

Kinda makes me want to vomit, or give you a high-five. Still on the fence really but hey, it's your car so rock on! To quote Homer Simpson, I say if it feels good, do it! Would love to hear this once it's up and going again.

Comment

Some of those side pipes are very restrictive had a set of thrush ones years ago and blew them up. The 90* turn in the front of the side pipe as a small dia and a smashed bend. Didnt notice until after blowing them up and completely disassembling them.
                  Now the header side pipe system we installed on my friends 66 vett worked out fairly well.
                  Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Originally posted by DrHax View Post
                    Oh yes another thing. Does anybody ANYBODY out there at all have any of the granny trim pieces. I would like to get some of them to replace some of mine that are either eroded or missing.
                    Post pictures of what you need. Good chance I may be able to help ya there.
                    The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                    The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Working...
                    X