Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fixed the brake light switch, now cruise is gone...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixed the brake light switch, now cruise is gone...

I had some drama with my brake light switch: whoever replaced it last used a non-standard connector on it, leading to a contact coming loose and a bunch of smoke coming out from under the dash. Anyway, I replaced the switch and put on a proper connector, and it works great now. However, in the process of the repair, I must have knocked something or melted something because now my cruise won't work: it turns on, and I can hear the "vacuum suck" noise from under the dash as it tries to reach speed, but it can't. However, I can't see any split or melted lines; then again, I'm not 100% sure where to look, and I can't exactly get under there at-speed to trace the sucking sound . Can someone point to me where to look?

I noticed that there is a vacuum line running through the firewall, near the gas pedal, that has kind of a loose connection; however, playing with that and "tightening" it didn't help, and the vacuum noise sounds like it's coming from the far-left side of the dash...
    1991 MGM GS - stock summer cruiser, with lovely A/C
    1977 Cougar XR7 - stock summer cruiser, with no A/C
    2009 G8 GT - un-stock summer cruiser
    A couple of Elantra Tourings - I have a strange obsession with them!

There should be a vacuum line to a brake pedal switch (it will pop the vacuum in the cruise servo to make sure it disengages when you press the brakes). Check that line and make sure it's ok.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

also make sure the valve is pushed in all the way with the brake pedal up. If the valve isn't shut it will keep the cruise from working.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yup, that little switch that "plunges" against the brake pedal stop was the issue! It's only on a clicky slider mechanism, so it had slid back too far. A couple of clicks in and now it seats fully when the pedal is up, and my cruise works again! Thanks guys, that saves me untold hours of foot cramping
        1991 MGM GS - stock summer cruiser, with lovely A/C
        1977 Cougar XR7 - stock summer cruiser, with no A/C
        2009 G8 GT - un-stock summer cruiser
        A couple of Elantra Tourings - I have a strange obsession with them!

Comment

Working...
        X