Door window weather stripping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Window channel replacement style 22

I just installed style 22 in my 1983 Grand Marquis rear window channel. The issue is that the new seal is not deep enough. I reused the old seal that came out easily by cutting off the sides and gluing the old seal base to the channel and pushing the new seal on top.

I had removed the door panel and vapor barrier to gain access the channel entering inside the door. I cut a new vapor barrier from reinforced plastic from the hardware store used as a utility tarp and backed it entirely with duct tape. Plastic cutouts for the armrest were made from freezer bags taped securely in cutout access holes. 3M strip caulk was used to seal new barrier (found at NAPA). The new thicker barrier replaced the old moldy barrier that was used as pattern. The result is a tight window that no longer leaks.

The only draw back is that style 22 is not equipped with the wide top flanges to cover the paint around the window frame as seen from outside the car looking in. This is just a small cosmetic difference.

Comment

Originally posted by toy.boy4ever View Post
      I just installed style 22 in my 1983 Grand Marquis rear window channel. The issue is that the new seal is not deep enough. I reused the old seal that came out easily by cutting off the sides and gluing the old seal base to the channel and pushing the new seal on top.

I had removed the door panel and vapor barrier to gain access the channel entering inside the door. I cut a new vapor barrier from reinforced plastic from the hardware store used as a utility tarp and backed it entirely with duct tape. Plastic cutouts for the armrest were made from freezer bags taped securely in cutout access holes. 3M strip caulk was used to seal new barrier (found at NAPA). The new thicker barrier replaced the old moldy barrier that was used as pattern. The result is a tight window that no longer leaks.

The only draw back is that style 22 is not equipped with the wide top flanges to cover the paint around the window frame as seen from outside the car looking in. This is just a small cosmetic difference.

and pictures would be appreciated.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

let us know if your try the ranger stuff taylorendicott
        sigpic
        1986 Crown Victoria 302 Cold Air,Mac Shorty headers, Full Dual Exhaust with Super Forty Flows, Wagon Suspension with a Full Sound System Replacement 1/4 time 17.486 @ 77.43mph

Comment

Any Updates? I would greatly like to replace my window channel's... any word on the rangers? OR any other styles tried? My 82's channel rubber looks different from what you guys have.... it may just be all broken off, however I can take picture for comparison, just figured I'd add to that fact.
          -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

This is what I will be purchasing at one time or another. I am pretty confident it is the closest stuff available and it is CHEAP!

click online catalog....click part type...click Window channels and sweepers then buy this: WC 21-96

http://www.metrommp.com/
            ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

interesting, thanks dave! I will measure every thing on my car and order it, as long as everything matches up of course. I may post pictures of my channel material... because i'm pretty sure it is not like that at all haha..
              -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

Comment

here is a thread i used to make my decision:

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=59201
                ~David~

Comment

I see, and you dont think the 22-96 would fit better? It slightly bigger. When do you plan on getting this??
                  -Phil

sigpic

Comment

I dont know but I have received a free sample from them of some WC 33-96 and that was way off. I dont want to continue asking for free samples lol.
                    ~David~

Comment

How did you ask? Email or phone call? I can ask for both and see whats what
                      -Phil

sigpic

Comment

I used email. oh yeah...and well i would install them once the car is painted...which may be many years at the rate things are going.. luckily i have a NOS drivers side window channel
                        ~David~

Comment

where can I get all manner of rubber stripping for my car? leaks, leaks, leaks. not major yet but they will be.
                          sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Check here: http://www.jcwhitney.com/push-on-tri...DetailTabPanel

Measure what you have now and compare. Nothing is cheap though.
                            ~David~

Comment

You can just replace it by section? nice. I might be able to get away with some from the parts car I am about to invade....just cut it to size and then seal it somehow?
                              sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

basically. Keep the mating joints in the middle of the bottom door openings.
                                ~David~

Comment

Working...
                                X