Cargo coils?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cargo coils?

As some of you may have already read, I recently installed kyb shocks front and rear on my car. I have no complaints with them. My thing now is I would like to install (forgot the part number) rear cargo coils, due to the fact that I tow a little from time to time, and I haul a lot in the trunk daily. Now I've heard stock shocks are essentially too short to work with the cargo coils. Am I going to have to change the rear shocks again, to something longer?

-1994 Lincoln Town Car...always under construction

Your car came from the factory with air springs, which automatically adjust to maintain the same ride height regardless of how many dead bodies are packed in the trunk. If you still have those (air springs, not dead bodies), there is exactly zero reason to mess with cargo coils of any sort.

Factory-length shocks come short mostly if you use station wagon cargo springs (CC819) on a sedan and run around with an empty trunk. If the car is ass-heavy all the time, and the cargo springs handle that while providing the ride height of an empty factory-sprung car, then your shocks will be fine in length.
    The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
    The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Originally posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post
      Your car came from the factory with air springs, which automatically adjust to maintain the same ride height regardless of how many dead bodies are packed in the trunk. If you still have those (air springs, not dead bodies), there is exactly zero reason to mess with cargo coils of any sort.

Factory-length shocks come short mostly if you use station wagon cargo springs (CC819) on a sedan and run around with an empty trunk. If the car is ass-heavy all the time, and the cargo springs handle that while providing the ride height of an empty factory-sprung car, then your shocks will be fine in length.
      Air ride was removed long ago by the previous owner. Basically even aftermarket shocks are still the same length as factory? I was hoping they would possibly be longer. Yes i believe the cc819's is what I am looking into.

Comment

The longest shock I can find gets you an extra 1.75in of extended length and only an extra 0.5 of compressed length. Spec it for a 1965 Ford Galaxie. To match your current GasAJusts use part number KG5522. They also make shock extensions if you still need more.

For future reference, I use http://www.shockwarehouse.com/news/p...ck-lengths.pdf to help with this. Used it to find shocks for my 74 which has thirteen leaves under each side in the back and needed much longer shocks.
        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

You sure the whole air ride system was ripped out or just the air bags? If I were you I'd try to get a better picture of what's going on with the factory system and then try to reinstate said system. HRG has a solid point about it.
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Every single town car I've had - the solenoids were removed from the air bag, ziptied with a ziploc bag around them on top of the cross member on frame. Get some new o rings. Remove solenoid from car, lube o rings, install in air bag, install assembly in car, connect air line and power. Don't forget metal retainer clip.

Fire up the beast, click air ride switch on, open close driver door and watch the rear elevate
            -Nick M.
            Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
            03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
              The longest shock I can find gets you an extra 1.75in of extended length and only an extra 0.5 of compressed length. Spec it for a 1965 Ford Galaxie. To match your current GasAJusts use part number KG5522. They also make shock extensions if you still need more.

For future reference, I use http://www.shockwarehouse.com/news/p...ck-lengths.pdf to help with this. Used it to find shocks for my 74 which has thirteen leaves under each side in the back and needed much longer shocks.
              This info should be added to the suspension FAQ. *gets on that* *done* (Suspension FAQ in the box section)
              Last edited by sly; 04-12-2017, 10:36 AM.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post

Thank you!

Comment

As far as getting the factory air ride back together. Although it would probably be nice, I don't see it happening. After looking again, whoever swapped it to coils must have taken everything out. I see no suspension sensor, no lines, nothing. Surprisingly I don't even have the light lit on the dash. The coils don't look new, so it may have been swapped a decade ago.

Comment

Originally posted by TecNickal View Post
                    Every single town car I've had - the solenoids were removed from the air bag, ziptied with a ziploc bag around them on top of the cross member on frame. Get some new o rings. Remove solenoid from car, lube o rings, install in air bag, install assembly in car, connect air line and power. Don't forget metal retainer clip.

Fire up the beast, click air ride switch on, open close driver door and watch the rear elevate
                    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by TecNickal View Post
                      I got one better on ya'll, I can push/pull a button-thing and I can see-saw my bitch front-back and left-right by as much as several inches. Air ride FTMFW!!!

Originally posted by ZombieTown94 View Post
                      As far as getting the factory air ride back together. Although it would probably be nice, I don't see it happening. After looking again, whoever swapped it to coils must have taken everything out. I see no suspension sensor, no lines, nothing. Surprisingly I don't even have the light lit on the dash. The coils don't look new, so it may have been swapped a decade ago.
                      Lamp on the dash is probably removed, if not, the same effect is achieved by removing the electronic brain that grounds it to make it light up.

Those Galaxy shocks seem like they would work well even with factory springs, the factory shocks are a bit on the short side even then. 1-3/4" lift is a ton on a Panther, cargo coils should give ya about 3/4" to 1" over stock so the Galaxy shocks would be plenty even for that. Certainly worth a shot, if there is actual need for them of course.
                      The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                      The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Working...
                      X