Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newest FoMoCo product using same power steering pump?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
    Once the pump internal bits wear enough that it cavitates excessively, no fluid in the world will fix it.
    Tractor hydraulic fluid actually does shut them up pretty good. People use that stuff in hydroboosted F-series even, and those can put some load on the poor pump.
    The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
    The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Revisiting this topic, because X number of bottles of power steering fluid later, I'm looking at the to-do list for the Lincoln and this isn't done yet.

I have this rebuild kit:

But I need to understand something before I proceed here.
      As mentioned way-back-when, my pump has lateral shaft play, not just in-out but a wobble to it when there's no belt tension on it. I don't recall how much wobble/play there is, but there was enough I thought to mention it.

My understanding now is that the sleeve bushing thing included in these kits is for "Saginaw" pumps, as it's a multi-pump kit, not all parts apply to all pumps. As I have a not-Saginaw pump (CIII?), fair to assume the metal sleeve in this kit does not apply to me?

Where does that leave me re: lateral shaft play? Generally if you replace a seal but not fix the cause of why something has play, it just wrecks the seal again in short order (see also rear axle bearings and seals).

Edit: shop manuals. I have them.
      The "C II" pump is shown in an exploded diagram, and there is no serviceable bushing, sleeve or bearing of any sort around the shaft. It appears if there is any play, it's from wear in the pump housing or shaft, so that basically translates to pump replacement if it's bad enough. In the cross-section view though, it appears as though there is a sleeve bearing, but it's not indicated individually anywhere else nor are replacement instructions given.
      Last edited by kishy; 04-21-2018, 01:17 AM.

Current driver: Ranger
      Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
      | 88 TC | 91 GM
      Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
      Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
      | Junkyards

Comment

You have the C-II pump.

Pretty sure you won't use it based on this diagram, but not having ever opened one I can't swear to it. I have a seal kit in the mail so I'll be doing it at some point. Not leaking, but I want to take the pump apart for a complete flush of the nasty shit that has gotten in the system. Pump was like 50 bucks, the kit was 10.
        Attached Files
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Maybe you guys have seen my rant about our F150 and not to hijack this thread but I wish we never bought reman pumps. They're all noisy and I am wondering if Mercon V will shut it up, well the latest one anyway. Somehow the steering box got dicked on the F150 as Ash reports more steering effort and pump noise when turning left.

I'm thinking of getting a junkyard unit.. Will one from a box fit an F150 directly? Most passenger cars I know never have issues with pump whine, but almost every Ford truck I've come in contact with does.. So worst case scenario we ship all the aftermarket reman junk we bought back to the sphincter it came from and slam a used pump on it..
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

If it's harder one way than the other, that's all the gearbox. The pump is just bitching about it because it is harder to push fluid when turning that way. It's probably the valve in the gearbox that switches the flow back and forth. That is if I'm thinking about how the things work correctly. Never actually had one apart.
            yup... found a video.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The CII pumps are all more or less the same, the difference being the pressure regulator screwed into the side where the high pressure hose is. Just use the one for the truck, it should be fine.

Agreed about stiff one way only being in the steering box. Might be gearing, might be the valve in there, but either way its not likely the pump.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

No difference in fitment between car pump and truck pump if they're both C2 type, swap away. Btw on a truck you ought to be able to use van bracketry which will allow use of Saginaw pumps, those hardly ever whine and are considered more reliable than the C2 pump.
                The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.

Comment

Cool, thanks for the replies fellas.

So van bracketry, what years work and must they be I6 powered?

Comment

Generally you need a van with the same engine as yours. Model years will therefore be similar to what you're working with, set your cutoff model year to whenever your type of engine was used last (I'm guessing '96).

Comment

Hmm, I doubt I'll find one then. Didn't they stop using I6's in E vans once they updated the body style in the early 90's?

Comment

Dunno, never cared enough to learn their trivia - only part of a van that ever interested me was the factory-discs rear axle.

Comment

I didn't even know that much. I take it they swap into F-series trucks? What years?

Comment

Some late '90s and all early '2000s will have the factory-disc rear axle with the proper 8 on 6.5" bolt patter to use under a 3/4- or 1-ton truck. You have a choice of generally D60 in E250s, D70 in single-wheel E350s, and D70HD (basically D70 with D80-sized carrier bearings) in the dually E350s and E450s, and the E350 and E450 axles are the same in the center section but different in the overall width and presence or absence of built-in (drum-in-hat) parking brakes. No clue what the 150s run, I suspect it's a semi-float D60 just shafts drilled to 5 on 5.5" lug pattern, but I never cared enough to actually look into it.

Regardless of the axle model the one thing you'll need to do to make it fit under a truck is to move the spring perches 2" inboard (closer towards the diff) per side, due to trucks having narrower frame than vans - this requires a good welder. The other alternative is to remove all four of your rear spring hangers and move them outboard (away from the frame rails) by 2" per side, this calls for grinding/torching a bunch of rivets and replacing them with grade-8 bolts and nuts. Hooking up the e-brake cables will likely also require some custom work, maybe.

Comment

Briefly returning to the original topic:
                              I don't think my pump does have lateral play. I think it was all just the in-out, and I was mistaking it for lateral because of the awkward access angles to wiggle the pulley when it's installed in a Lincoln, particularly an 84- Lincoln due to the giant bumpers.

I will keep it on hand to reseal when I get a chance (Soon™) and in the meantime the junkyard one seems to be performing just fine, aside from (lol Derek) a bit of a whine despite the fluid level being correct. It came out of the 90 Mercury I took my wagon windshield from, due to someone having already completely removed it from the car minus the pressure line. They probably got that far and realized they needed a good line wrench. It was frozen solid at the time due to the cap being off and it being full of water, but thankfully when I thawed it out upside down over a drain pan and pumped it over manually a bunch, it all seemed to come out.

Current driver: Ranger
                              Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                              | 88 TC | 91 GM
                              Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                              Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                              | Junkyards

Comment

I still have not fooled with mine. I have the kit, but didn't do much more than open it to loo. I don't think its got the bushing in there for whatever that may be worth to you. I bought it for at least the reservoir seal, but if anything else is a problem inside, I'll have it on hand. My pump is not leaking but its been fouled up with shite from the rack so I want to open it up for a cleaning. Hoping to just pop the reservoir off and flush it.

Comment

Working...
                                X