Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1999 Lincoln Town Car intake manifold cracked

Hello folks,

Unfortunately, my beloved Town Car has been running with the fan non stop for some time now. The temp gauge never went up, but when I looked, I saw that I was missing over a gallon of coolant.

Anyway, after further looking I found the cause. When revved up, it starts squirting coolant from the intake manifold, close to the coolant temperature sensor (maybe?), opposite side of where the thermostat is. After looking further I found a linear crack in the area.

I applied some JB weld twice, but some small leaking persists. I just applied a third generous layer, but I'm getting rather skeptical about it working, so it looks like I might be heading towards a replacement. I don't know whether coolant system sealer would work in this case, as this part is made of plastic.

Is it a big and complicated job to do? Is this a common issue with the 4.6 engines? Any other advise of how one could approach it? Thanks!
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    1999 Lincoln Town Car Signature

I've never done it but it's a common problem:

http://www.autoclinix.com/Manifold.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8LEWkpFpEY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D30hrikOed4

Pete
    Originally posted by gadget73
    For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
    1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
    1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Watched the second video in full, thanks.

What a nightmare. I can't believe ford cheaped out so much to make the thing from plastic. It seems to be a very common problem!

Comment

so common they recalled it on fleet vehicles. Police and Taxi's got the fixed ones, but civilian models never did. That's the first thing I look for when looking at used whales, does it have the aluminum crossover intake on it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I have a spare Dorman PI unit.

-ryan s.
          08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
          03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
          97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
          94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
          73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
          12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
          Originally posted by pantera77
          Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Son of a bitch... I'm reading more about it now, it seems that there was a class action lawsuit, where one would either get it repaired within first 7 years of ownership or get $700 if they replaced it themselves and it was confirmed by the dealership. Unfortunately, mine is turning 14 this year.

Looking at replacements now. OEM are pricey at ~400, and the coolant housing I think is still plastic. There are Chinese made replacements on eBay for $150 and Dorman ones for ~200 shipped. Both feature a metal coolant housing, I'm more leaning towards the Dorman version.

I'll see how the JW Weld will hold. I shmeared plenty on today, but my expectations are realistic. I will try to tackle it myself. If there are any volunteers in Detroit area who would like to share a case of beer with me some Saturday, please let me know!

Comment

jb weld wont hold forever.......gonna have to bite the bullet and get a new intake

this is why i wont own a car newer than 1995

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

dorman will be the most economical. there is a swap kit on ADTR.net to put the PI intake on the NPI engine that you have.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Are the PI units somehow different/superior than the regular ones for Town Car?

Comment

i'm not a 4.6 expert but i do believe they flow a bit better

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I would be really surprised if the Dorman was not Chinese.
                      03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                      02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                      08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                      12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
                        I would be really surprised if the Dorman was not Chinese.
                        It is not. I personally called Dorman and they said that their manifolds are made in USA.

Comment

the PI intake flows better, but the price point on the swap kit may be the killer. Do you need the upgrade? no. Do you WANT the upgrade? maybe. but $325 +S&H might be a bit much and the dorman will work fine. Just mind your torque specs... on everything. Especially the sensors. And you'll need new sensors as the ones for the metal crossover are different thread type. Just not the sensor when you purchase it... it should have a NPT thread and not a wide plastic thread like the current one.

Comment

Nope, no need for the upgrade. I'll get the Dorman from Amazon for $170, as well as new o-rings for the fuel injectors. I'm close to giving up on the JB weld patchwork!

In the meantime, my dear 89 GM is seeing some road time!

Comment

Great to know Dorman still sources some made in USA parts.
                              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Working...
                              X