X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Same problem when running cold, bucks and stalls

I have the exact same problem as described in this thread:
    http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...th-cold-engine
    It only takes a few minutes to warm up enough to run right, but that's only if I'm driving it. (I live down a 1/2 mile of dirt road so going slow for the first few minutes isn't a problem) I've never sat in the car with it running long enough for it to warm up that much at idle. (Because I'm impatient and have a tendency to always have EXACTLY enough time to get where I'm going)

Anyway, to the point: I checked my MAF and it looks clean, but I would like to clean/test it properly, so what's the best way to clean/test it? I haven't pulled the spark plugs yet but that will be my next check. (worried about pulling a connector out of a boot since the wires are so expensive. Anything else I should check?

Afterthought: It may be unrelated but I was driving on the highway last week and after maintaining 75+ mph for a while it starts to buck like it does when it's cold and I have to coast down to 65- and accelerate back to 75 to maintain my speed. (Decent amount of time in between instances, but it is irritating) There is also somewhat of a "dead spot" near the end of my throttle response where it bucks/stalls similarly to the way it does in the other 2 instances. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Note: I haven't driven it on the highway since I cleaned the EGR ports + ported my upper plenum.
    Last edited by eightball200; 07-28-2011, 11:19 PM.

Hi, what year car? My first check would be the PCV line on the back of the intake we're talking 92 plus car right? There's a rubber T that likes to break and it makes stuff run weird.
    Last edited by 86VickyLX; 07-29-2011, 12:08 AM.

Comment

'94 GM LS. Also that T is fully intact, had quite a time with it when removing my upper plenum. Didn't want to come off...

Comment

Did it do this before you touched the intake?

Comment

Yup. It's done it since I've had the car. Got it from my grandpa in October, it's had scheduled maintenance since he bought it brand new. The way he talked about it it seemed like it's been doing this for a while even before I got it.

Comment

OK, looks like this is the part where I admit I was wrong. I actually took the MAF assembly OFF this time and now that I could see all the way down in there the wires do kinda look cruddy, so I put everything back together and drove the car a bit with it unplugged. Had a bit of trouble starting at first, (stalled after a few seconds of running, but didn't take too much persuasion to stay running) but took off as soon as I put my foot down.

Here's the thing though; I don't want to spend $7 on a can of MAF cleaner to fix it if I'm just going to use it once, so I'd like to know if there's something I may already have that could be used to clean it. Preferably something you yourself have used with success before. I really don't want to risk ruining it by using something that hasn't been tested :/.

Comment

Originally posted by eightball200 View Post
              OK, looks like this is the part where I admit I was wrong. I actually took the MAF assembly OFF this time and now that I could see all the way down in there the wires do kinda look cruddy, so I put everything back together and drove the car a bit with it unplugged. Had a bit of trouble starting at first, (stalled after a few seconds of running, but didn't take too much persuasion to stay running) but took off as soon as I put my foot down.

Here's the thing though; I don't want to spend $7 on a can of MAF cleaner to fix it if I'm just going to use it once, so I'd like to know if there's something I may already have that could be used to clean it. Preferably something you yourself have used with success before. I really don't want to risk ruining it by using something that hasn't been tested :/.
              I'm not sure I'd want to use anything else than what's recommended to clean it. Could probably use rubbing alcohol. But then again, could fuck something up.

Comment

Well I went out yesterday and picked up some MAF cleaner at advance. Got a free can of carb cleaner out of the deal so I guess it wasn't so bad. Still $8 though. Gonna try cleaning the sensor later today if it stops raining. I hate not having a garage. :/

Comment

Cleaned the MAF today. Worked great. I suppose I should have tried that before posting a thread, but thanks for all the help!

Comment

Working...
                  X