No announcement yet.

Stereo upgrade for the '91 begins!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a fanatic, I can for sure. Some folks as long as the speakers work they don't care. Ashley was that way initially until I swapped out her premium speakers for the jbl units and then the amp. Thought it was mumbo jumbo hype up until then. Tighter bass, cleaner highs, warmer mids...
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I'm going to use the factory speaker covers, I just have them off for the pic. I hope the bass from these (once the amp is pushing them) doesn't rattle the snaps loose, they are already pretty powerful just with the head unit, lol

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
      I like those speakers. Make the covers color keyed to the interior ?
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I can hear the difference. I just don't care enough. Also, I just need enough volume to cover up the creaks and squeaks my cars make.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

If you are questioning it, you're fears are correct. Fix that now while it's relatively easy and you'll thank yourself later. Have had my door panels off so many times now...

Comment

Thing is, cars are such horrible environments that at some point you can't justify spending more on gear. I'd rather spend it on home audio stuff. Besides, you really can't run tubes in a car very effectively, and firebottles are way more fun.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Lol never thought of tubes in a car before. Everyone says the environment is junk and I don't disagree but there's just something about having tunes in the car that is a must have for me. $200 or less for each pair of speakers, $350 for amp or less, $350 for sub and then the change for wiring for a decent aftermarket set up. I'd invite anyone to come listen to my setup, very closely mimics home except I'm offset to the left. Us box people that have premium sound from the late 80's can upgrade just the amp to JBL (as long as you don't have silver football thing) and notice a big difference with that alone. Convert all the speakers over and its night and day. Run an aftermarket deck into JBL amp using speaker lvl inputs and that's pretty much all you need for decent tunage. Can do all that for under $75 if you pull all of the stuff from yards. Ashley's set up is exactly that, with POS $75 Pioneer radio. JBL amp hasn't shit the bed and its been almost two years.

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I don't run stock stuff in mine either. I like it to sound good, but there is a level beyond which it just doesn't make sense. I'm not spending thousands of dollars to put a stereo in my car when I can be perfectly happy for well under 500 bucks. The Mark VII is stock JBL stuff with a free crappy Sony head unit after the stock one died for the too manyth time. Sounds great, and I've had no motivation to mess with it. I'm using the line level out into the stock amp, works perfectly.

Also consider that part of my internet time exists on forums where there are arguments about $400 speaker cables, whether or not wires need to be elevated off the floor, expensive power cords, and other such high priced hocus-pocus. I occasionally forget that some people are more practical.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I love watching your projects as there's a slim amount of them, but they're usually in order to make laziness easier.

Good work!

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
                  The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
                  It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Mine sounds decent (the highs could be crisper... but meh) and the mids and lows are epic. The subs will rattle your brain in the below 100 Hz range (especially around 40-50Hz). I like it and that's good enough for me. This setup you've got should (in theory of what I understand about it all) sound a lot cleaner than mine, but won't be as powerful on the head rattling. It's all good. Even the stock stuff is good when it works... our aftermarket upgrades are just better. Though I do agree with Thain... there is a level at which you just save the money for the home tunes.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

My only problem with aftermarket radios is that 99% of the time they look like complete ass.
                      2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                      2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                      2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                      1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

There is that.

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
                          My only problem with aftermarket radios is that 99% of the time they look like complete ass.
                          Which is why I'm keeping my current ones until they die beyond repair. They're rather subdued compared to current offerings. And I prefer that.

Comment

Thain has the right idea about the cost thing and Pantera does with aftermarket radios looking like ass. I want to demo the the premium radio from pre 88 because it looks so elegant but it probably sounds like junk like the later ones. This Sony I have isn't too obnoxious but I still hate it. Compromise for SQ I suppose.

Comment

There is an 86-87 JBL one that plugs straight into the later system but operates like the older one. The regular one will only interface with a football amp rig. The JBL one is a grey faceplate with the orange JBL logo in the corner, the other is black.

Most of my beef with stock units is lack of an input. I don't use tapes, and CDs I don't care about but I need some means to feed the ipod in. I don't like those tape adapters either, they don't sound all that great. Some of the later 80s paddle types were meant to control a CD changer, and those you can easily modify for line input. I don't think the 86-87 JBL one will, and I know the stock CD player one requires a fair bit of surgery to make it go. The CD changer one has a couple of jumpers in the un-used plug on the back. There are 4 useful pins, left out, left in, right out, right in. For normal operation you connect out to in and off you go. For aux input, break that and feed your external device to the input pins. Piece of piss to do with a simple stereo headphone jack that has the internal switch setup in it. Mount that and all you have to do is plug the thing in. None of this does me any good on the Towncar because it doesn't have any compatible wiring. I could on the Mark VII, and I might consider it but those radios are 20+ years old and dying now. I've already been down this path with one that ultimately died, and I've not much interest in doing it again. I had one rebuilt, I could do one myself but its a real fucker of a job to tear those things apart and completely rebuild one. I know why the guy gets the price of a new aftermarket stereo for the job, it sucks.

Comment

My sterio set up is an Alpine Head unit and Amp and 4 Polk speakers due to the stock system sounded like crap drove me nuts untill I spent good money on a new system to please my sensative ears.

Comment

Working...
                                X