No announcement yet.

My 79 Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reminds me of the vacuum line hell in that 85 Pontiac Parisienne with a chevy 305 and q-jet. 20+ feet of just 1/8 line. That was a cluster of a job. Almost every single one snapped off as soon as I touched it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Yeah I think I counted 8 connections to the air cleaner housing when I was there, and I swear one of the lines went from one port on the air cleaner to another port on the air cleaner.
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Plug wires, ign coil....carb is on with new fuel filter. Also had to replace my ignition control module.Got to fire up....but wont stay running. What vac lines are necessary to keep? Fuel delivery seems to be an issue. Floods the carb and then starves it. Starting at the tank and working way front to check lines. Fuel pump is going to get changed regardless. I hate the fucking cold.

1978 Grand Marquis 460 2door "Blue Bomber"

1987 LTD Crown Vic Canadian Tow Package 351w aka the "MI Mountie"

1989 Colony Park ....Marge still lives!

1979 Marquis creamy goodness

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20201031_092515.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	1288174Click image for larger version

Name:	20201031_092343.jpg
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	1288175Click image for larger version

Name:	20201031_092337.jpg
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	1288176

Comment

....there is a vac line coming out of choke pull off, that goes back into the carb (came that way)...does this go to the PVC?

Name:	20201031_093229.jpg
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	1288177Click image for larger version

Name:	20201031_093219.jpg
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	1288178

Comment

IF it dies out, most likely you've still got vacuum leak woes or the idle is too low. Was that carb rebuilt? Have you gone through it yourself to verify the float isn't sticking open? Our '79 G10 runs pretty damn good now, especially with the choke working right. Check into that as well... I'd look at it myself if you weren't so damn far away lol.

Edit: Well, look at the routing diagram on the fan shroud, if it has one. Get a service manual too, the fact-ree one. Just because they came that way doesn't mean it's right... I had to undo the confusion that the PO did to the van.
              Last edited by DerekTheGreat; 10-31-2020, 09:51 AM.
              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

With the original carb it would only stay running with the idle way up. Sticky or junk float or sticky needles (I know next to nothing about carbs) crossed my mind. A rebuild wouldn't be bad for the "new" carb.

Its only like a 70 mile drive. Catch a ride out there with me. Leaving early will make the most of the day. Although spring will probably be the next time I make it out there since we're running out of good weather.
                Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

She is alive!
                  No stalling in any gear although idle sounds fast (not as fast when we worked on it Vic). Changed out the fuel pump due to erratic readings on vac guage...perfect now. Def comes down to a good tune on the carb. Derek, I think I can take the air horn out while running(?) to check float level. Fuel tank is kinda iffy so next spring. Needs brakes as it moaned and hissed while pumping them. Glad I can move her to a fully covered outdoor storage ala Harbor Frieghts portable garage.

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
                    With the original carb it would only stay running with the idle way up. Sticky or junk float or sticky needles (I know next to nothing about carbs) crossed my mind. A rebuild wouldn't be bad for the "new" carb.

Its only like a 70 mile drive. Catch a ride out there with me. Leaving early will make the most of the day. Although spring will probably be the next time I make it out there since we're running out of good weather.
                    The carb I have the most experience with is a Holley. With that guy, if the float stuck it would flood out when trying to idle- you'd see fuel dumping straight out the boosters. Damn ethanol gas.

Sounds like Mark has vacuum woes, we'll figure it out. That's the reason why I didn't even try to fire our van until I redid all that crap.

Word. If Mark has a building with heat, I'm all for going up there sometime before the spring. If not, spring it is...

Mark,
                    Doubt you can take the air horn or top part of the carb off while it's running. Something tells me that's got the needle & seat attached to it- so without that while running, it's just going to dump fuel everywhere...
                    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

If you think you're putting a fuel tank in this, start shopping for one now. On RockAuto, there used to be maybe 3 different brands offering the carb tanks (no second hole for EFI fuel pump hanger), but now there is only one, and it's the most expensive one of the lot that used to exist (Dorman).

Spectra Premium F3
                      Liland Global IF3
                      Ford E4AZ9002C
                      Dorman 576136
                      There was definitely also one sold as Platinum Pro brand, but I can't find what its number was.

Some other retailers do still list some of these, so there should be supply somewhere out there, but maybe not for much longer. I keep finding things that used to be very easy to get that are getting harder to find for our cars.

I would guess the carb tanks are probably out of production now. You can use an EFI tank but would need to find a way to plug the hole for the fuel pump.
                      Last edited by kishy; 11-02-2020, 12:16 AM.

Current driver: Ranger
                      Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                      | 88 TC | 91 GM
                      Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                      Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                      | Junkyards

Comment

Thanks kish, interestingly enough the Liland Global IF3 tank appeared on Rock Auto and I nabbed it for $90.

Comment

Spent the vast majority of the day scraping the gray scale matter/old proofing. Slow progress but got the front mostly done. Those ball joints looked depressed AF. Have a sizeable RockAuto order en route. Love the rust reformer.

Name:	20210511_145426.jpg
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	1289007Click image for larger version

Name:	20210511_180841.jpg
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	1289008

Comment

New gas tank on, many thanks to Vic and Derek for the assistance, no way I could do it solo. Derek also diagnosed the leak in my carb, due to inproper gasket arrangement.

Also looking for a speed clip or "gas tank strap retainer" (where bolt goes through strap into retainer on underside of car) as the drivers side one seems to be missing, due to this we rigged it with wire, but if anyone has spare speed clip I am definitely in the market for one.

Comment

Remember me? The parts guy? LOL! WagonMan
                              Attached Files
                              89 Colony Park
                              90 Colony Park
                              70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

Your gonna have to throw that in with the lights....Pmed!

Comment

Working...
                                X