My 1987 Two Door Crown Victoria AKA THE BROWN BLOB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    everything was better BUT the friggin power steering line from the steering box to the coupler. She no happy now.
    Where is she leaking? That thing is aluminum, did you happen to crack it at a bend or something? On the flip side being fairly soft metal it should have little issue sealing into the SAE flare union you're hooking up your new factory-style pressure hose to...

No worries on the measurements, I got enough info to make things happen.
    The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
    The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

I went through the valve cover fiasco several years ago when the stock gaskets no longer wanted to do their job. Bought Ford Racing EFI valve covers because the oil fill was in the Panther location; didn't matter as the upper intake was only 1/16" above the oil fill cap. If I had done some research back then, I could have gotten a small spacer and I would still have those covers today. :-/

My Ranger p/s pump leaked from the front bearing. Fortunately the Explorer that I got the intake from was still at the junkyard at the time; so I yanked the power steering bracket as well. Got a new pump and swapped it on the 4.0L. I changed the p/s lines on the CV twice (the 1st replacement might have been dry rotted). This time around I am going to assemble my own lines.

Comment

The Ford Racing covers are way too narrow at the top, sure looks to me like they'll hit the most front and most rear roller rockers. I may just have to modify the Mk7 stuff in the end...
        The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.

Comment

Originally posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post
          Where is she leaking? That thing is aluminum, did you happen to crack it at a bend or something? On the flip side being fairly soft metal it should have little issue sealing into the SAE flare union you're hooking up your new factory-style pressure hose to...

No worries on the measurements, I got enough info to make things happen.
          Was leaking between the 2002 high pressure line and the flare union.

Think* I managed to fix that by re-flaring it.

It got knocked loose (unintentionally) when I was originally removing the 87 high pressure line to the flare union when I was replacing that line and pump out. Must have knicked/knocked some crud loose and she did not want to seal any more.

Sure wish a factory line from something out there worked for this application.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I wanted to use the port under the fat end of the intake for factory like PCV and vacuum pluming...so I found a way to make them work, much with anything in life that you want.

Started this afternoon by cranking the motor over a bunch of times with coil wire removed to prime the power steering pump. After that came time to start the engine. Yikes. Ticking sound like no other coming from the back of the drivers side valve cover. Ripped the intake off and pulled the valve cover off to find the #8 exhaust valves rocker arm mega loose. Oops. Fixed that and everything was better BUT the friggin power steering line from the steering box to the coupler. She no happy now. Cannot win with this power steering leaks on this car. At last I am fixing leaks, though new ones are arising. Light was fading fast so I was in no mood to go measuring for you Ivan.

All that left to do now is fix this new power steering leak, install the wire separators on the drivers side, install the dizzy condom and maybe that is all.

Id now recommend against this. Lost a bunch of fluid because things were still leaking and I had to remove a line and reflare it. SO once the line was replaced i added some fluid and proceeded to crank the motor with no coil wire connected as to ensure it would not start. I guess this time around I did it too much as I flooded the motor. She tried to fire but just couldnt. ugha. I pulled out the plugs and they were fuel soaked. First time this ever happened.
            ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

PS system will prime itself without any issue. Just don't start it with the reservoir dry and it will be ok. once it starts, add fluid as needed.

Tthere is the flood start mode you can try, stand on the pedal and crank it. It will stop spraying fuel and may clear itself out enough to go. Maybe.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                PS system will prime itself without any issue.
                Not if you rebuild your pump and upon reassembly you use liberal amounts of Lucas mucus it won't! Other than that tho, yeah they self-prime just fine, tho I usually spin the pulley by hand quite a few times to help it. Cordless drill with an old alt pulley rigged in the chuck and an old belt also works quite well.

Comment

After removing the plugs, cleaning them and letting things air out a bit all was fine.
                  ~David~

Comment

After removing the plugs, cleaning them and letting things air out a bit all was fine.
                    I was gonna say if you pulled plugs just leave them out for a while and gasoline will evaporate in a timely enough fashion. But I forgot to do so, lol

Comment

local to work AZ had the 2002 high pressure power steering line in stock so I nabbed it just in-case my last ditch effort flare job does not hold.
                      ~David~

Comment

What did you have to flare anyways? If you have things the way I think you do there should have been been able to just unbolt the box PS hose from the brass union and leave the union attached to the section of whale aluminum pressure line. Did you not have enough space to get tools in there to do that?

Comment

Things got disrupted when removing the box PS hose from union and the whale side of things no longer wanted to seal.
                          ~David~

Comment

Ah, ok, that's kinda weird it happened but whatever, you got it fixed.

Btw on my valve cover issues, I found a set of the older taller Ford tins that I thought would clear, well I have to take baffles out but other than that yes they clear the rockers just fine. Intake vacuum elbows needed to be turned 90 degrees so they point sideways and then they clear as well, one turned fine but the other broke off so I cut it down almost flush with the intake and tapped the steel for regular 3/8" bolt, then threaded such a bolt (very short one) in with RTV as a thread sealer. Expecting zero issues with any of that.

Comment

Updates....

None.

Planning to start on some mans trans swap bits. Primary attacking and building the pedal assembly. Fancy brake and clutch pedal covers are going on so some re-working of the mustang stock clutch pedal and panther brake pedals are in order.

Haven't touched the car since my last post as I have been BUSY and its been darn cold or flat out cruddy to do anything.

Hoping nothing leaks and I can button the things up.
                              ~David~

Comment

Yelp that phase is complete again.

Charged the battery up, cleaned the car, the engine bay and then verified my timing marks on the balancer. Have a long mark for 10 and a half mark for 16. Started her up and let her get to operating temp, pulled the spout and set the timing somewhere between 10 and 16 lol.

Checked the car for codes then buttoned things up but placing the intake plaque back on and then the distributor cover.

No leaking power steering lines which I am happy about as that was a battle.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0133.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	1282929

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0132.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	1282930

car defies gravity apparently....
                                ~David~

Comment

Working...
                                X