finally abandoned my euro sedan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

finally abandoned my euro sedan

Hello: I just now bought a 2008 LS in Smokestone Metallic. It feels great. Even if it does need repairs, I expect they won't cost what they did on my british barge. Thank you for providing this forum. --Tom HClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190219_174953.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	1304884
    "In an insane society a sane man would appear insane." --Spock to Kirk
    2008 GM LS in Smokestone Metallic

Welcome to the site! That GMQ looks really clean. Luckily most repairs on these cars are usually inexpensive if you can sling a wrench and won't cost near what a European car would to repair.
    These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

So you got rid of the Rolls? What did you have?

Welcome. There is a really knowledgeable group here.

You might want to create a signature and update your profile so folks can always know what car(s) you are talking about and maybe where you are. Later down the road when you might have questions this often helps.

Jay
      Last edited by jaywish; 03-04-2019, 03:27 AM.
      03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
      02 SL500 Silver Arrow
      08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
      12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Yes I will try and get some kind of avatar and signature once I get the feel of this forum which so far is GREAT! Thank you.
        I had thought about getting an old rolls Royce actually but was talked out of it by friends. One has a Bentley with hydraulic problems and a broken off turn signal stalk: $700 for that part alone. Over a twenty nine year period I had three jaguars. Probably done with them forever.

Comment

Welcome to the forum. Enjoy your new ride.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Welcome
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Compared to a Jag, a Panther will be as reliable as the sunrise.
              2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
              2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
              Past Panthers
              1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
              if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                Welcome to the forum. Enjoy your new ride.
                To the man with the brown blob: I came close to getting a 04 e320 but was afraid of all the electric complexity and dealer-only designed-in servicing details.

Comment

Originally posted by tjc78 View Post
                  Compared to a Jag, a Panther will be as reliable as the sunrise.
                  Are all panthers jaguars but not all jaguars are panthers? Do they both have retractable claws or neither of them or only one of them? I cannot keep my feline taxonomy straight.

Comment

Not sure if you know this but the series of cars Crown Victorias, Grand Marquis and Town Cars that were made from mid 70's IIRC to 2011 were all similar under the skin and are the Panther platform. One of the longest running and popular series of all time. Not up to the success of the Beetle but quite up there.

So you went from a Jaguar to a Panther.
                    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Yes that was sort of my tongue in cheek reference above to feline taxonomy.

Comment

Originally posted by thomash85715 View Post
                        To the man with the brown blob: I came close to getting a 04 e320 but was afraid of all the electric complexity and dealer-only designed-in servicing details.
                        I hear you on that. I am very mechanical and my father is a mechanic so I tend to do anything and everything I can in house. Youtube helps as well!
                        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

One thing about German cars is they have good factory support. I can get all of the BMW parts for the engine in my Continental. I'm basically SOL on any Ford-specific item it needs. The BMW guys cry about the prices of some things, or that some items just aren't available but what they can just buy vs what we can buy for a Ford from the 80s is a big difference.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yes that is one of the trade-offs. ford customer support sucks if you are not buying something new & expensive.

I needed a limited production rim for the 02 Mercedes. There were none available, but what that meant was they had to have more made.

I don't know about english car manufactures.
                            Last edited by jaywish; 03-06-2019, 08:11 PM.
                            02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

I could always get jaguar parts and even sent the main ECU to the UK for electronic rebuild on a 83 V12 which was a success. But the constant stream of problems and the anxiety of setting out on a big trip wondering what horrible thing might happen got to be too much. Setting out on my first big trip in this MGM LS next week and assuming there will be little or no drama. And to gadget73, I say WOW on your diesel! Never knew there was such a thing. My husband loves his gas BMW which supplies less anxiety than my jaguars did but boy what sky high prices for simple stuff like coolant tanks, seat latches and trim items.

Comment

Working...
                              X