1962 Jeep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1962 Jeep

So, my Uncle got this a couple years back, before his stroke. He will sell it to me for about 1k.

I don't know much about Jeeps he planned on putting a 2.5L 4cyl auto drivetrain in it from an 85-86 s10? It has that motor and good manual tranny in it afaik but there's some screwing around with intakes and carbs and ports not lining up from 85-86 or 86-87 4cyl.

I have no idea what my options would be for a '62 Jeep with a manual tranny from an 85 s10? Who knows what carbs or intakes on hand.

Any help or advice would be appreciated, it may only be a 2wd. It had 2 bad fenders replaced with RUST FREE METAL units out of California, a new windshield, and a fresh year or two old $1400 dark/medium green paint job by my uncle who has a body shop down in WV.

Good title. No top. Do I look at slapping a good drivetrain in or work with what's there? Anybody know what are proven/documented/cheap swaps? Thanks!

Sent from my XT557 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by sxcpotatoes; 08-10-2015, 01:26 AM.
    Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Which model Heep is it? 2wd was typically a DJ thing. DJ's are postal Jeeps, the ones with the weirdo body.

Not sure what the 2.5 S10 had. May have been some flavor of T5. Thing with Jeeps is you can put almost anything together in one as long as you've got a welder.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah, no top means probably not a postal jeep. It could be 4wd, I don't know how the setup works if the s10 4wd stuff bolts up or what. I could probably just get it and tow it back on a dolly in neutral? w/my '03 and worry about it here. Just looking at it as a fun cheap convertible, slap historical plates and insurance on it and go once it's running again. It even has new tires/some alloy rims

Last edited by sxcpotatoes; 08-10-2015, 10:20 AM.
      Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Looks like this: http://youngstown.craigslist.org/cto/5155960305.html but with different seats/rims/tires and tube bumpers

Comment

Stick the transfer case in neutral and you should be able to tow it no problem on a tow bar. Just make sure the rear axle has oil in it, the front hubs are unlocked, and the transfer case has oil in it. It'll all go to shit if it runs dry.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Don't completely rule out a DJ - the early models had the same body as the CJs - open top and all. The round-fender DJ-5 didn't come around until 1965 though, so a '62 would be a DJ-3A with flat fenders.

Originally posted by sxcpotatoes View Post
            Good title. No top. Do I look at slapping a good drivetrain in or work with what's there? Anybody know what are proven/documented/cheap swaps? Thanks!
            The Buick 231 is a well-known swap, as a slightly smaller version of that engine came stock in late Kaiser-era CJ-5s. It's probably what I would do in such a situation. But the Iron Jester is a common one as well, possibly the cheapest/easiest way to replace the stock Jeep four-cylinder. If it's working now, it might be best left as-is.

Here's instructions on doing the V6 swap on a CJ-3B which is reasonably similar: http://cj3b.info/EngineSwap.html
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria
            1977 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme
            1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, 360

Past: 1995 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor

Comment

Thanks a bunch for all the info and advice, Stocker. I guess we'll see what we see when I get it back home Thursday or Friday. Especially in regards to pics and underhood shots and what parts come with it. I may have to join a Jeep forum soon to have an excuse to drive it to meets, and find (or start) some 'Cars and Coffee' style gatherings around here.

Comment

yeah, some of those had a 228 "Fireball". The 231 is an improvement over that one. Its not odd-fire at least so it doesn't run so rough. I'd really be looking at a 4.3 swap though. More power, not that you need it, but its a somewhat more rugged engine. A 4x4 S10 would be a good donor for trans and transfer case. If you want to keep it carb, 2bbl and 4bbl intakes do exist for that engine. Marine applications in the mid 90s used a lot of 4bbl 4.3 motors. There also should be a goodly supply of aftermarket intakes and such.

Comment

SBFs were a common swap. I helped restor a 74 a couple years back.
                  Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Better plate. I guess I can wax them to protect them but fuck all the new flat printed plates. They just don't look right unless they're stamped out of metal by presumably forced prison labor.

Attached Files

Comment

yeah... I'd just navel jelly the rusted parts and then clearcoat at most. Waxing is definitely a good idea.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I think new issue plates here are flat too. Mine are embossed.

Comment

Flat they are. Looks stupid IMO.
                          2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                          2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                          Past Panthers
                          1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                          if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

BAMF Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1440777779149.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	1278175

Comment

What have I gotten myself into? Okay, here's the rest of the photos of the Jeep in a flickr album https://www.flickr.com/photos/sexcpo...57655563875223

Little more info and stuff I found/figured out. I towed it up to the BMV and got the title, classic plates and such all taken care of. It's a 1962 Willys Jeep body mounted to an S10 frame with an aftermarket computer up behinde the cutout hole in the custom wood dash for a non-existent glovebox. S10 gauges in center of "dash" etc. You can see from the photos that it looks nice from 20' but has rust coming through the paint job in spots and at hinges etc. No mirrors at all (hopefully easily remedied) no intake, carb, broken accellerator pedal, though top part with throttle cable is intact. Motor swap (possibly by me) is probably the way to go, don't know if I should have a clutch done too at the same time, or if it's fine as is.

The gas tank leaked a little and the rear end did too (up where the driveshaft attaches to the diff) when we unloaded it but nary a drop to be seen the entire time we towed it home. Man was that an experience, I didn't reallize the trailer jerks and tugs on the car on EVERY ROAD IMPERFECTION YOU ENCOUNTER, and if you watched my dash cam vid from my last trip down you'll know most of the roads are more patch than anything when it's not a one lane road!

Anyway, mom towed my other uncle's tow dolly down today and made it there safe. Now I just have to find a decent Iron Duke that's not $500 etc. Also need to figure out what size battery it needs and what to use for a tie-down (not much battery needed I'm sure since it doesn't have a radio or heater). This would be my first vehicle ever with a side post battery if I ever get that far on it. So it's a bastardized project, but the Willys body should be worth something even after a few years of exposure to the elements. I may lower the classic coverage from 5k value, but they're already stretching the rules considering letting me have coverage without a garage for the vehicles.

Comment

Working...
                              X