460 swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

460 swap?

I have access to a 460 and c6 out of a late 70s pickup. What do you think of this swap in terms of ease. Anyone out there done it, or know of it being done?

Someone on another forum did it I believe, but I have no details. Maybe MrLTD or GMGT knows who did it.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It depends how easy you personally find doing a swap with custom headers, exhaust, accessory brackets, transmission mount, driveshaft, fuel system and wiring.... Not to mention potential clearance issues with hood, wiper box and heater box....
      It is a significant project which is not for the weak skilled nor light pocket book types....

Comment

It is definately not a project for the inexpirienced.

Mounts, you will have to get creative with. Sanderson makes a set of shorty headers that should work in our chassis though.

I am actually putting together a stroker 460, i'm going to have to get creative with a welder and an assortment of factory accessory mounts.

Oilpan, you can use a fox chassis 460 swap pan, made by Ford Racing.

A lot of the other details will require fabrication, but I think you'd be happy with the swap once you did it. Good luck, and let us know the progress!
        1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
        Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Originally posted by Grand_Marquis_GT View Post
          It is definately not a project for the inexpirienced.

Mounts, you will have to get creative with. Sanderson makes a set of shorty headers that should work in our chassis though.

I am actually putting together a stroker 460, i'm going to have to get creative with a welder and an assortment of factory accessory mounts.

Oilpan, you can use a fox chassis 460 swap pan, made by Ford Racing.

A lot of the other details will require fabrication, but I think you'd be happy with the swap once you did it. Good luck, and let us know the progress!
          i think you might need some additional hands from someone who is used to making stuff work.
          http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
          http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

A 460 truck oil pan will work as well. They are the same as a fox body 460 pan.

Comment

There is a kit for a Big block Ford in a Panther:

Total Performance in Michigan has it, These prices are from a few years ago so I am not sure if they are correct:

Frame brackets------ 189.00pr
              motor mounts-------- 79.00pr
              oil pan w pick up dip stick & tube 7 quart 289.00
              Exhaust manifolds-- cast iron used 98.00pr
              Aluminum radiator 269.00

they also can do a complete turn key.

Tim
              2000 Ford Crown Victoria
              84 Lincoln Town car signature, R.I.P
              85 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 2 door performance project
              89 Lincoln town car: RIP
              89 Crown Victoria LX 2002 USACi sound quality world champion RIP
              1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
              1994 Mercury Grand Marquis (sold)
              2004 Mercury Marauder. owned for a week then got screwed by the dealer

Comment

Are you sure Total Performance Even exists any more??????? That isn't exactly a kit.. Using factory manifolds is not a worthwhile performance option..... What were they using for frame brackets? They are likely using factory motor mounts as they did with the T-bird swaps.

Comment

Yeap still around:
                  Take from Yahoo yellow pages a couple minutes ago;
                  Total performance
                  44050 N Groesbeck Hwy, Clinton Township, MI 48036
                  Phone: (586) 468-3673

don't know what they use for parts but I know there work is first class. The owner is a former director of racing for Ford. He has a 427 SOHC powered 63 Country Squire and a matching SOHC powered drag boat. I am sure they can fab up some headers.

Tim
                  2000 Ford Crown Victoria
                  84 Lincoln Town car signature, R.I.P
                  85 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 2 door performance project
                  89 Lincoln town car: RIP
                  89 Crown Victoria LX 2002 USACi sound quality world champion RIP
                  1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
                  1994 Mercury Grand Marquis (sold)
                  2004 Mercury Marauder. owned for a week then got screwed by the dealer

Comment

Originally posted by over2tonsofFun View Post
                    I am sure they can fab up some headers.
                    Other than Tom, you likely will not find anyone soon on the board willing to pay for custom fabbed headers.

Comment

this is entirely true. What do the fox 460 swap headers look like? Maybe those can be used, or if there is a BBF shorty for some application, possibly something could be worked out
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

460 fox swap headers are over $700 new, not really much savings over a custom set and I doubt they would fit... You might find a used set for cheaper tho to tinker with.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
                        My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

JBA used to make a shorty header which should work. Because of low demand, they currently do not stock it... Perhaps they could be talked into doing a few sets if there were a group purchase...

Comment

There is someone on another foreum that did this.... He used a accesory setup that is sold for 460 Mustang swaps... it basically lets you use your 302 brackets... It consists of flat plates, with holes drilled and tapped so that you just bolt on the brackets off of the 302...

I think he bought them online... From Summit Racing...
                            I think he also used the stock exaust manifolds...

Tom...

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
                            Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

Comment

Originally posted by over2tonsofFun View Post
                              There is a kit for a Big block Ford in a Panther:

Total Performance in Michigan has it, These prices are from a few years ago so I am not sure if they are correct:

Frame brackets------ 189.00pr
                              motor mounts-------- 79.00pr
                              oil pan w pick up dip stick & tube 7 quart 289.00
                              Exhaust manifolds-- cast iron used 98.00pr
                              Aluminum radiator 269.00

they also can do a complete turn key.

Tim
                              The Panther big-block swap kit has never existed. This has been verified by John Vermeersch himself, the owner of Total Performance, who I have spoken to on several occasions. The kit was never made, and was in reference to a Car Craft article back in the late 1980's that some idiot pieced together, without calling and asking John for verification. John had talked about it...once...and for somehow or another, that discussion developed into a complete engine swap kit, with prices and parts...and not a single kit was every produced, sold, or created. This has bugged the hell out of him for the better part of two decades, as he has received several dozen phone calls for orders, and has gotten into several screaming matches with idiots who won't take 'no' for an answer.

This isn't meant as a slap toward anyone, this is simply to kill off that idea for swap parts, before anyone else calls the poor guy for a non-existent swap kit. At this point, you are going to have to follow the one guy here who did one, and he hardly ever posts in here...if at all. I do have Lee Senior's email address (he's the one who made the 5.0 mustang brackets to work with the 460-into-CV swap, and at last count, he was charging around $200 or more for the belt-drive kit.

Concerning Total Performance....I have John's phone number, but the business has ceased to exist, other than some light side work of his.
                              Last edited by ; 04-21-2008, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X