~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
          ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

"You want the 3/8th's extension? Get it yourself!"
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I parked this one last weekend. We'll see how things play out this summer. If I get the Yukon fixed I don't know if I'll drive this car when Winter 2018-2019 rolls around or when The Scab dies (whichever comes first, the engine in The Scab is a bit tired).

After a week of driving The Scab I've realized how much nicer a few things are on The Scab. The Ice car is going to need more steering and brake work up front if I'm going to drive it again. I don't know, I'll see how things work out this year.
              Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
              ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

You at least threw a tarp over it, right?

Comment

Finally back on the road. Possibly the last winter for this car, the rot is going to force retirement sooner or later.

I took this car for a drive back in July and again a few months ago. The last drive it had a hard time starting and I couldn't figure out why.
                  The next day it had an even harder time starting. Finally I figured out that I had a leak in the fuel line just in front of the fuel filter. Finally got that fixed today.

Yes, the snow on the roof of The Ice Car was cleared before hitting the road.

Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                  ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
                    Finally back on the road. Possibly the last winter for this car, the rot is going to force retirement sooner or later.
                    Yeah that's what I've done with my cars as well. Once first salt from snow comes, unless I have no other way to get around, they're retired for the winter. Combating rust is such a pain in the ass, the more you avoid it or it spreading the better. Winter driving these days are regulated to my '96 Olds Ciera.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

This one will probably be permanently retired after this Winter. The drivetrain is fine, just lots of growing body rot.

I paid $500 for this car 6 years ago. It wasn't in that great of shape when I got it but it was solid in all the important places.

Time to find something for cheap and in good shape that needs an engine and trans, then pull the drivetrain from this car. That's the not yet set in stone plan for next spring/summer.
                      Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

New pads and rotors are on. It's less scary to drive this car now.

Derek and I put the pads on last year. The post is on this page on 12/9/17. Passenger side had plenty of meat on them, but the rotor was really messed up and pads had not worn evenly as a result so they got swapped out.

Then I got over to the driver side and the rotor didn't look too bad, but the pads were a little over due for changing. I should have taken pictures of pads from both sides. They certainly did not look like they were the same age due to pass side having so much left and driver side being past gone. I cleaned up the slide pins and did NOT use the same grease I used last time. It was supposed to be for caliper slide pins, but I believe it was actually the reason the driver side caliper was dragging and killed those pads. I don't even drive drive this car all year, so those pads were killed in about 6 months.

New pads and rotors were put on both sides, now this car stops beautifully.
                        Forgot to order seals for the inner bearings, but luckily the ones I had put on this car previously (within the last couple years) were in very good shape still.

Also got my new coil today. Put that on and hopefully the new one wont be bothered by moisture on wet days like the two old ones that I used to swap out when they acted up on wet days.
                        Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Wow, those pads look ancient despite being on there just under a year.. Uneven wear makes me replace calipers & such, especially if the pistons fight me when trying to push them back in to accept new pads. Thought we used that white disc brake goo on those things though?

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                            Wow, those pads look ancient despite being on there just under a year.. Uneven wear makes me replace calipers & such, especially if the pistons fight me when trying to push them back in to accept new pads. Thought we used that white disc brake goo on those things though?
                            The rotor was probably questionable on the P side before we put those pads and calipers on last December. There was a rather wide groove (1/4 inch at least) on the back side that had rusted; it was really F'd up. New rotors were getting new pads to make sure everything was starting fresh.

We did use the disc brake stuff you're thinking of. It as black and gummy and I'm pretty confident that was the cause of the premature death on the D side pads.
                            Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

HuH… I thought that shit was supposed to be good for the slide pins? Just like how electrolytes are what plants crave...

Comment

I just looked it up, the heat resistance on that stuff is lower than any other caliper slide pin grease I could find... I think I'll go with this stuff next time:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...sn=146&jsn=146
                                Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Working...
                                X