No announcement yet.

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dedicated computer? Like a Fiery, Creo or Konica IP?
    Last edited by mitymerc; 08-23-2019, 09:01 PM. Reason: Speeling

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

There are two versions. The 49 state version like mine is a purely mechanical Bosch VE pump. The Cali version and the BMW 524td came with a Bosch VP-20, which is basically the same but with electronic timing control instead of mechanical. All the diesel computer does is control timing based on temperature and engine speed. The mechanical one can only control based on RPM. The computer does have a feedback of sorts. There is an injector with a lift sensor that ties into the computer so it knows exactly when the injectors are firing so timing control is probably more accurate. How much difference that actually makes in terms of emissions and performance, no idea.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        ...yeah the slope back thing was a look for a while in the 80s. I'm not sure anyone understands why it was a thing, but it was. I won't pretend to be a huge fan of it either. The "economy luxury" cars of the period are strange. Fancy trim on fairly pedestrian cars, and they look it. This thing is only cool in how not cool it is. I never had any illusions that its anything but a strange car, but I will admit that I enjoy driving it despite how slow and goofy it is.
        The Fox based Lincolns are just dandy to me, those drive, look and feel like luxury cars compared to the turd Seville and Versailles. I don't know how the 70's stuff drives but they seem claustrophobic & chincy compared to Panther & Fox stuff.
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

70s cars seemed to have more hood than anything else. The cabins were not all that big for how massive the car was overall. The Conti is smaller than the Towncar inside but doesn't feel cramped.

The Versailles was a Grenada. The Seville was basically a Nova. Neither were all that impressive, basically lipstick on a ho-hum car. Wiki says that both of those were the top priced models for their brand, which I just can't understand. Who would pay more for a Versailles when its parked next to a Mark V on the lot baffles me. Same with the Seville when you can have a Fleetwood.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

70s cars seemed to have more hood than anything else. The cabins were not all that big for how massive the car was overall. The Conti is smaller than the Towncar inside but doesn't feel cramped.

The Versailles was a Grenada. The Seville was basically a Nova. Neither were all that impressive, basically lipstick on a ho-hum car. Wiki says that both of those were the top priced models for their brand, which I just can't understand. Who would pay more for a Versailles when its parked next to a Mark V on the lot baffles me. Same with the Seville when you can have a Fleetwood.
            That reminds me, I remember sitting in a few dead Mark V's at scrap yards and I had a similar impression. I loved how long the hood was but inside it didn't seem much roomier than my Town Car. Although the materials used in the Mark V looked & felt a smidge nicer than the Town Car. Ashley definitely loved it. Was a Bill Blass car.

Exactly my confusion & irritation with the Versailles and Seville. At first I thought they were cheaper luxury alternatives for those who could afford a bit more but not the whole shebang, like the old Cadillac Calais' of the 60's and mid 70's. But nope, just as you said; more expensive yet you get less for your money. I can't believe people bought them, but then again, they bought stupid shit like the pet rock too... Guess they really didn't do their homework and really got sucked into the marketing BS?

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
              That reminds me, I remember sitting in a few dead Mark V's at scrap yards and I had a similar impression. I loved how long the hood was but inside it didn't seem much roomier than my Town Car. Although the materials used in the Mark V looked & felt a smidge nicer than the Town Car. Ashley definitely loved it. Was a Bill Blass car.

Exactly my confusion & irritation with the Versailles and Seville. At first I thought they were cheaper luxury alternatives for those who could afford a bit more but not the whole shebang, like the old Cadillac Calais' of the 60's and mid 70's. But nope, just as you said; more expensive yet you get less for your money. I can't believe people bought them, but then again, they bought stupid shit like the pet rock too... Guess they really didn't do their homework and really got sucked into the marketing BS?
              Heh. I read recently that the idea was to try and attract younger buyers who were more likely to buy a European luxury car than a Domestic. But what really ended up happening is that they were mostly sold to older people who wanted a traditional American luxury car, but in a smaller and more maneuverable size. So instead of getting younger buyers into the dealership, they just got even older people.

I will say, my Grandma had a slant back Seville. I don't remember what year it was but it was white with a red interior. More than likely bought for her by my Grandpa (her 3rd husband) who was a big Cadillac fan and it would have been from around the time when they got married. They would have been around 40-45 years old, so maybe it did work? They were younger than the "average" Cadillac buyer at the time. At the same time, he had a Deville and a 5.0 Mustang GT fastback. She had that Seville until 2002 when she wanted something newer and smaller and bought a fully loaded Malibu. He had a string of Devilles and a Lincoln or 2 (I remember him loving the redesigned 1998 Town Car enough that he bought a fully loaded Cartier).
              -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
              1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
              1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
              1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Comment

That's funny. By 1998, Town Cars just got too corporate & cold for me. All the inviting warmth & plush that once was, was all but gone. Once they refreshed the interior & gave it a minor face lift in 1996 or so, I lost interest.

Comment

actually for what its worth the Continental was more expensive than the Towncar in 84 too. I expect if you optioned a Towncar to have most of the same stuff the Conti came with you'd end up with a more expensive car.

Comment

Conti's & Mark VII's gave you something special though. Conti's had cooler interiors; You got that cool symmetrical dash, a billion lights to warn you about impending doom for your spaceship and spaceship like seats, cool wheels, great sound system, air ride, blah blah blah. Town Cars were old hat. Best trick feature they had was the digi dash and oh, heated mirrors. I also want to say Fox based Lincolns got power mirrors before Panther based Lincolns did.. Going back to the Verwhimpies & Suckville, similar story. No innovation, no trick features or flair which justified the price.

Comment

yeah can't argue about the Versailles and Seville being pretty uninspired vehicles. I think the Seville may have had the diesel optional though. That had to count for something. Probably nothing good but hey.

Comment

yeah can't argue about the Versailles and Seville being pretty uninspired vehicles. I think the Seville may have had the diesel optional though. That had to count for something. Probably nothing good but hey.
                        The Seville had the 8-6-4 option in '81 only. I believe it ran a few more years in Limo's and Cadillac fleet vehicles but on the consumer market it was '81 only and I think only in the Seville. I know a guy with a mint one with thirty something thousand original miles and it works perfectly. I've met maybe 5 or 6 people who have had long term experiences with that system and and everyone said it worked perfectly. People online who've owned them say it worked. People who have never owned one constantly shit talk the system. Besides if it doesn't work for some reason you disconnect one wire and don't have to worry about it. I imagine I'm one of the few people who likes the Versailles and the bustle back Seville. Out of the two I'd rather have a versaille but I'm a big fan of the mid 60's through early 90's Cadillacs.
                        2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

Comment

I've been told it worked, but it didn't really make magical fuel economy numbers, and you could feel it switching cylinder counts. It didn't seem to make it particularly unreliable or cause any of the horror stories you hear about it. I know a dude who's way into Caddy stuff and he's owned several. The HT4100 that replaced it was pretty much a turd though.

I'm a big fan of the stacked headlamp Caddys from the 60s.

Comment

I've been told it worked, but it didn't really make magical fuel economy numbers, and you could feel it switching cylinder counts. It didn't seem to make it particularly unreliable or cause any of the horror stories you hear about it. I know a dude who's way into Caddy stuff and he's owned several. The HT4100 that replaced it was pretty much a turd though.

I'm a big fan of the stacked headlamp Caddys from the 60s.
                            I've heard the same about feeling it change. The guy I know with the low mileage one says he got 30MPG bringing it home from his aunts place in northern Michigan a few years ago. He's not normally a bullshitter but who knows. I have heard nothing but horror stories about the HT4100, like the story that you could not get going fast enough to merge into traffic until it was way too late. I had a buddy who had an '85 Fleetwood Brougham he got at an estate sale in 2010. Beautiful car had like 75k on it, but it had that damn Oldsmobile 307 with the Rochester Quadrajunk and about 14 miles of vacuum lines. It ran good but it was a real turd when it came to getting out of it's own way.
                            2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

Comment

The 307 is gutless... but it does keep going and super smooth.
                              2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                              2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                              Past Panthers
                              1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                              if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Yeah most of these clowns which go about touting high MPG numbers can't do basic math and their speedometers are off. They never reveal their method of how they're calculating it either. Like if you fill the tank up enough so gas is standing in the filler neck for the initial tank but then only fill it until the pump clicks, you're going to fudge your MPG by a considerable margin. Same thing if you only go by the click of the pump. A higher flowing pump will force the thing to click a lot sooner.

The great thing about the 368 is that it was based on the 472. I think the 8-6-4 is much like 302 CFI with all the hate it gets from people who have never been intimate with one. Like you said, you could disable cylinder deactivation and then have yourself an EFI big block Cadillac. Certainly better than the shit 4.1 and that turd 307. 1980 and '81 are the only years to buy from the '80's. Car stayed virtually the same minus a digidash & composite headlight refresh for 1990. So 1990-1992 are the years I'd buy, and only with the LO5 350 TBI option. You got a drastic reduction in vacuum bullshit, TBI, 210 HP & ~300ftlbs vs 140 or whatever that shitty, anemic 307 carpitrated turd netted you.

Comment

Working...
                                X