Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

351w in '86 TC?

Hello--

I need some advice on a soon-to-be project. I have an '86 TC, 147k miles on the clock. Someone at my work told me he has a freshly machined 351w that he is willing to give to me (not sure if its a roller or flat tappet). I haven't seen it yet, nor do I know what all its coming with it. Regardless, I was wondering if this has done before by someone on this forum. I have never worked with a 351w, nor do I know what combo of parts I should use. I would like to keep my EFI, but some modification will need to be done from what I could find. I need to convert to MAF, and get an HO computer as well. So, my questions so far are:

1. I'm not very familiar with the "learnability" of these computers. I was wondering if the DY3 computer from a MkVII HO would work with this (as oppose to an A9L/A9P).
    2. Intakes. I plan on using a truck lower, and stick with the HO upper (for now), along with an intake adapter. Does this seem like an o.k. combo for now?
    3. Cam. Not even sure where to start. I'm not looking for a race car, but if I put my foot down, I'd like it to get up and go. Any suggestions?

Any and all suggestions are welcome!

1) highly unlikely. They won't deal with a 5.0 HO that has good heads most of the time. \
    2) I wouldn't. Sounds restrictive, and probably too tall besides. Professional Products makes an Edelbrock clone that will likely work. Its Chinesium but probably flows and fits better.
    3) need to know if roller or not, and what heads.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

1) No. Not without a special tune. And the Mass Air computers are just as bad, just easier to tune
      2) No, unless you like cutting holes in the hood. Get an aftermarket intake or run the lightning stuff.
      3) What year is the block?

Comment

A MAF computer would "learn" enough to run half-decent but tuning definitely makes the difference.
        As the others said, Lightning/GT40 or the pro/products(which is a decent intake). HO is shite.
        If it's a roller block or you use link-bar roller lifters(either or is better than flat but YMMV) Roller stuff any 5.0 off-the-shelf would help or talk to Ed Curtis at FTI and have him make you a custom grind based on your setup.

What heads are you running?

Far as getting it in there, these cars were available with 351's so that's not an issues. Intake clearance may be tight but should be doable. 351 swap headers for fox should work. Other intake shit is pretty interchangeable. Accessory bracketry may get tricky unless the engine comes with it and you're getting rid of shit or able to fab/move things like a/c compressor.

Comment

The only bracket thats specific is the AC one. The stuff on the other side fits fine.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
            A MAF computer would "learn" enough to run half-decent but tuning definitely makes the difference
            It may attempt to run. I doubt it's gonna run worth barely idle without a tune. Need a good MAF with a known curve, good injectors with known values and you're halfway there! I wouldn't attempt to even fire the thing without at least 24lb injectors with any good intake/heads.

Comment

I've got a 351 in my towncars, but they're both carbed, so I can't help you there. The actual swap part is no issue, just get 351w swap headers, and an off-road h-pipe cheap from the stang forum folks. Timing cover forward is the same, except for ac (I didn't use it)

I dont know that we have any efi 351w towncars here. The only ones I know of are carbed. I believe our hood gives a bit more clearance over the cv/gm from the center shape

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
              '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
              '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by phayzer5 View Post
                I've got a 351 in my towncars, but they're both carbed, so I can't help you there. The actual swap part is no issue, just get 351w swap headers, and an off-road h-pipe cheap from the stang forum folks. Timing cover forward is the same, except for ac (I didn't use it)

I dont know that we have any efi 351w towncars here. The only ones I know of are carbed. I believe our hood gives a bit more clearance over the cv/gm from the center shape
                What part combo's do you have on yours? I was thinking about going with an edelbrock 600cfm carb with a performer lower intake as getting efi to work will be out of my budget. As for heads, I'm not sure what to use. I have 289 HiPo heads, E7's and a pair of crap E6's. Should I find a set of gt40's or...?

What are you using for heads and headers?

Would my lincoln logs work or do I need to buy different headers?

Comment

My '80 coupe is a bone stock 351w with the factory 2150 2bbl.

My '84 is basically the other extreme - a forged 408w stroker, 10:1 comp, Isky 280 cam, iron RHS 200 heads, Vic Jr and a Pro-Systems 750hp carb, with a wide-ratio AOD and disc 3.55 trak-lok rear end pushing it. It uses a custom h pipe exhaust without cats (whats xalled "off-road", b/c no emissions in FL) but with the head pipes from a mustang h-pipe so I can still use factory headers. I had 302 mustang shorties on the old engine with this exhaust, so it was a simple upgrade to mustang 351w swap shorties with the new motor.

The body on the 84 4-dr has more rust issues than I care to fix, so I found an 80 coupe to put my efforts towards. It will have all the go fast goodies swapped into it over time. The paint is nearly an identical color and the body styles are the same, so nearly every part swaps over except for the door-specific stuff, and even then I can use the 84 for patch panels to fix the doors if/when they rust out

The Edelbrock 600 and rpm intake was a perfect combo for me on my 84's original engine. I had some lightly ported e7s and a 35-235-3 Comp Cams bumpstick in it for awhile that put down 190 HP on a dyno. Fun car to drive for its size, and got ~20mpg with 3.55s.

You could use Lincoln log manifolds, but with the availability of cheap mustang parts, its not really the best use of time/money for the benefits. Gt-40s would be an even better upgrade over e7s, especially with a good cam to make use of them. You gotta just figure out a power level you're happy with and/or a budget to spend. Horsepower is a slippery slope

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
                  '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
                  '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

GT40 on a 351 is about the bare minimum. If you want real power, I'd go for something better. Same with headers, the logs are sufficient for the stock motor but real power wants more flow.

Honestly unless you're gonna put some decent parts on it you may as well keep the 302. A 351 with crappy top end will perform about the same, cost a lot to assemble the EFI for, and just burn more fuel.

Comment

What heads and manifolds would you recommend? I'm still new to this motor, so I don't know what my options are. I'm not looking to make a crap ton of power, nor am I looking to spend a boat load of money. I still need to pick up the motor and see if it is a roller or flat tappet block.
                      Last edited by SirFoxx; 07-16-2017, 01:59 AM.

Comment

Largely its a 302, but it needs more air. GT40's would be a minimum start point, but it could do with more. One of those Professional Products Edelbrock clone intakes would do, and 351 swap headers. That should get you something that at least runs decently without spending a ton. If you can afford better heads, or find better heads for a reasonable price, do it. The more air you can get in and out, the more power it will make. A nice set of AFR heads wouldn't hurt it a bit.

sad fact is you can do the same stuff to a 302 and it would likely make comparable power. The 351 has the potential to be a runner, but they're usually so choked that they don't actually do much better than the 302 does. From the factory they usually had the same crappy heads that weren't enough for a 302, and its just that much worse with another 50 cubes. the GT40 was about the best flowing head Ford ever put on a 302 and there are still aftermarket options that blow those completely out of the water.

Comment

Well, I will probably stick with the gt40's as a start until I can save for a decent set of aluminums. I understand that ford heads suck, but I can't exactly fork out $1500 for a decent set of heads right now.

As for the block, it is a C9OE-6015-C. .040" bored over, and even came with a street boss lower intake. Seeing that it is a flat tappet motor, what kind of cam should I look for / should I buy?

Comment

I'm not real up on all the interchange for the Windsor but do the heads from a 289 bolt onto the 351?
                            If so, take a look at those e7 next to the 289 heads. HiPo heads have to move some air to push out 271hp.
                            Are you able to take pics side by side? I'm really interested!
                            sigpic
                            89 LTC 429>557 Cobrajet stroker
                            13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l
                            "If I could separate what's real from what I've been dreaming I could live to fight another day"

Comment

The old HiPo heads actually don't flow as well as the GT40 heads. Also consider those were gross HP numbers. Back to back, I'd wager they don't do all that much better than an E7 does. The other problem with old heads is the lack of hard valve seats. Not free to have that fixed.

Windsor heads more or less interchange, but 260/289/302 uses a 7/16" head bolt. The 351w uses a 1/2". Not all of the heads have holes large enough to pass the bigger bolt. They can be drilled though. I think the GT40's have the 1/2" holes, not totally sure about the P heads.

Comment

Working...
                              X