N on differential hsg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

N on differential hsg

jUST PICKED UP A 8.8 OUT OF A 87 PANTHER. The carrier has a N cast on it don't remember seeing it on other cases. On a 9" rear it meant it was the stronger of the differential hsgs and was more desirable. Cant find any info on the 8.8 N.
    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

On a 9" housings the N was used to identify nodular iron castings. From my research on welding axle tubes, Ford 8.8 housings are cast steel... maybe you have a nodular iron 8.8 unicorn??????

Maybe it's part of a date code or mold cavity I.D.?

Post a pic please.

Comment

Interesting. I second the picture.

The original low pinion D44 in the front of my highboy had an E cast into it. The replacement front has a C. Some folks hypothesized that the C meant "commercial", but this is still the light duty (8 bolts around the closed knuckles) version.

Could just be a casting ID, or it could be more.

The Sterling rear in my brother's '06 F350 also has a 2" cursive style N right above the pinion.
      **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
      **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
      **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
      **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

N on a 9" meant it was nodular iron before aftermarket stuff it was the strongest Ford made. My 69 GT350 had a nodular 9" with a Detroit LOCKER from the factory.
        Talked with Mark Williams, Mouser, Strange and a few others they didnt know anything. Might talk with Ford next.

Comment

Pic of rear couldnt see it well so highlighted it with chalk
          Attached Files

Comment

unicorn?

https://youtu.be/aV--HzX9__I?t=4m30s

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Pretty sure that's an 8.5" axle not an 8.8". Did it have a tag on the cover? E0AW = 1980 (E0), Fullsize, (A), Axle (W)
              Last edited by JeffBoudah; 06-02-2015, 11:29 AM.

Comment

I looked it up before purchase and measured the drum to drum width 62 3/4 .
                Tag V014A
                3.08 88 6H20

Search showed it to be out of a 87 full sized crown vic / grand marquis 8.8

Also Ford would never cast a rear section out of steel ...cast iron yes nodular cast iron possible

Comment

8.8 centers are cast steel, it's why you can use regular filler rod or mig wire and not expensive high nickel content needed for cast iron to weld the tubes to the center.

I'm not so sure the tag and axle matches based on the casting

Comment

Working...
                  X