A cool throwback..?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A cool throwback..?

I've been sitting on this for years. It worked great when I sealed it up...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20200717_164733.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	964.4 KB
ID:	1305317
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20200717_164750.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	842.5 KB
ID:	1305318
    All FORD All The Time

What is it going into if anything?

Found an ancient Kenwood? headunit my father had in his mustang back in the day. Basically you pulled out the entire radio (for theft reasons) and it had a carry bag for it an all. Reinstall easily by slipping it back into the car and your radio works again.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

My Kenwood (in both the 93 and Expedition - same one KDC-X492) is a decade newer but still considered OLD. Both still more than enough for me.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I thought you might have a "cool throwback" like a 8 track or cassette player. I guess that is throwing it too far back. 1996, seems like just a few years ago. Well my 96 CV will be eligible for antique plates next year.

Comment

I've been debating swapping the head unit out in my '86.
          Anybody ever bypass the football amp entirely.?
          I'd like to power my speakers differently...
          All FORD All The Time

Comment

Originally posted by clutch47 View Post
            I've been debating swapping the head unit out in my '86.
            Anybody ever bypass the football amp entirely.?
            I'd like to power my speakers differently...
            I’ve done so. Run new speaker wires to every speaker from the head unit.

Then I did it again but putting an aftermarket amp In The trunk. Ran new speAker wire from amp to every speaker.
            ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

That brings me back to an Alpine radio I put in my 1st car which was an '88 Cougar, we used to call then 'benzi boxes'.. Radio slid out and we carried them around to class in HS with us... Haha. Circa 1990.

Chris

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
              What is it going into if anything?

Found an ancient Kenwood? headunit my father had in his mustang back in the day. Basically you pulled out the entire radio (for theft reasons) and it had a carry bag for it an all. Reinstall easily by slipping it back into the car and your radio works again.

Comment

Yep. Same time period...Dads was in his 85 Mustang he had since new.
                ~David~

Comment

Then when I traded that '88 for my 1st brand new car, a '96 xr7, I put in the pioneer CD player which the face plate popped off instead... Damn, too funny.

Chris

Comment

Mom has an 87 T-Bird she bought new. It has some kind of Blaupunkt cassette deal installed before it ever rolled off the lot. It came without a radio. Per dad, they were told there was a shortage of the factory units and this was a free upgrade or they could wait to accept delivery once the Ford radio became available. They took the Blaupunkt instead. The installer botched the wiring but it works.
                    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I had a Kenwood KC100 (or a similar number) back in the mid '90s. It was great basic head unit for a couple years; then it started falling apart. Wished I had gotten the Blaupunkt head unit instead of going with a familiar name :-/

Oh and the Blaupunkt had a removable face (anti-theft); but that wouldn't matter as nobody looked inside of the Malibu before the mods. LOL

Comment

Depending on the specifics you may not need to run all new wiring to the speakers. Many of the football amps were 2 channel and fed only the front speakers. Handily that means you get 4 wires going direct from the radio to the rear speakers. Saves all the work of running wires from radio to rear speakers. For the front you can run from the radio to the dash speakers and use the original wiring to back-feed the door speakers. Just unplug the amp in the trunk.

On the other hand if you want to use a trunk-mounted amp, there are 4 wires from the old amplifier to the front speakers. Saves the bother of running new wires up front. The rear speakers are cake to connect from a trunk-mounted amplifier.

all depends what you wish to do, but either way if its the 2 channel amp you only need to run one set of wires.

anyway, for me personally if it doesn't have an aux input I'm not interested. The Continental has a 1986 stock JBL radio with an aux in, the Mark VII has a 94 radio that is easy to modify for aux, I just need to actually do it. Towncar has an aftermarket thing with an aux jack.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Too old and lacks functionality, it's a bottom tier unit on top of that. I had an old Alpine CDA 9835 that was pretty sweet, had the Biolite display. Cost me a small fortune back when I was a teen. Actually, I bought a CDA-9831 because the '33 and '35 were too expensive for me. My buddy bought the '35 and I got it several years later offa him. It went in the Fury. I thought about pulling it but it was just too old. Could still hook an iPod to it though. Biolite thing was cool and it boasted 26watts RMS or something like that. Had fat power supply wire or something.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-yVwvXO...-CDA-9835.html

It was to me one of the best looking and laid out Alpines ever made. You could change the lighting and it had a built in parametric equalizer and high/lowpass filters. Agh, I should have pulled it from the Fury..
                          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I've had Alpines, and always liked them.

I'm kinda diggin' this one too..https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158GS8....html?tp=72430
                            All FORD All The Time

Comment

Love the older Pioneer decks. I ran this one for awhile in my 89 MGM, 93 Taurus and 89 LTC

https://youtu.be/cKgnmqffNts
                              2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                              2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                              Past Panthers
                              1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                              if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Working...
                              X