The Tan Lady - A 1997 Crown Victoria

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sly View Post
    Vampire taps. No like. Also, no clue what that's all about.
    I had to look up what this was. My wiring experience is essentially zero.

I will do some poking around, but I think this has to do with the trailer connector that's been plopped into the car... at least that's what my gut says. Given what I said at the start of this reply though, that needs to be served with a grain of salt.
    ************************************************** ******************************
    1997 Crown Vic - Mostly rust free, moderate mileage. On the road... but far from perfect. **SOLD**
    1985 Crown Vic in 2-Tone Blue **SOLD**
    http://automophiliac.blogspot.ca/

Comment

Latest problem to report on:

Low speed stopping can activate the ABS, especially at the start of the journey. Seems to happen less and less the longer it is driven on the trip.

I figure it's probably a worn or dirty ABS wheel speed sensor based on some videos I've seen. This one captures exactly what's happening with my car.

Now to find a buddy with the right scanner to map out where my sensor is falsely picking up a lockup...
      ************************************************** ******************************
      1997 Crown Vic - Mostly rust free, moderate mileage. On the road... but far from perfect. **SOLD**

Comment

Threw a couple of P0171 and P0174 codes again. I'm suspecting that my injectors/filter maybe clogged. It managed some decent travel before the code went though, so it's not an instant thing. For instance, the car had been driven around town every day and gone on a few half hour trips before the code came back. Almost a week's time.

The lean condition being in both banks and the intermittent nature of the fault indicates to me that it's not a vacuum leak. I'm hoping it's just an old fuel filter situation. I'll change that this weekend and run some injector cleaner and see if that does the trick. I'm crossing my fingers it's not the pump/electrical components going to the pump.

Anyone recommend a good injector treatment? Do these even work?!?

Comment

I've had good luck with the STP fuel system cleaner and the single hole injectors that the beater uses. Stopped buying gas from the shit discount places and haven't needed to use any in about 30K miles. But a clogged fuel filter getting changed will make a world of difference.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I like the Chevron Techron Cleaners. They have the fuel system and fuel injector cleaners. Just pour it in to the gas tank before filling. After using the fuel system cleaner, change the fuel filter. I have not found anything better.
            With my 96 CV I have to use 89 octane or better fuel. It runs horrible on anything else.
            Last edited by Mainemantom; 07-27-2016, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Ok, so lots of work this weekend. Saturday morning I changed the fuel filter. Got a no-name piece from the local parts store for $10. Replaced a well worn and slightly crushed Motorcraft unit. Maybe the original? Cleared the code and went for a test drive. Pulls like a freight train passing at highway speeds, so even if that doesn't solve my intermittent MIL for the lean system condition, it certainly made a bit of a drivability improvement.

Today was the big job though... changing the heat blend door actuator. Went the old fashioned route and dropped the dash. Still had accessibility problems with the bolts holding it down though due the the curve at the top of the fire wall. Unless you have tiny double jointed fingers, I suspect one needs to disconnect the ventilation assembly that it bolts onto and pull it away from the firewall as well... which would mean draining the heater core. Just went the three bolt route and called it a day.

Here's the old actuator:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160731_122038813_HDR.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	1280536

The teeth on the small gear broke off.

Works great now. Big thanks to my buddy who came and gave me a hand today. He was instrumental in helping me pull off and reinstall the dash. Definitely a two person job (for me anyway).

Other than the snafu I had posted about regarding the one steering component, it all went pretty well. HVAC system works great and best off all no annoying ticking behind the dash.

Comment

yeah... that's a common failure mode on those actuators.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Did some more work yesterday... well, a lot of cleaning actually. Armed with a towel and a bunch of scent free baby wipes, I went to town on the interior of this thing. It had some animal living in it at some point as well as about a couple years' worth of dust. I also had to re-shampoo the front seats as my buddy and I did a number on them while we were taking the dash apart. Here's what I have now for the interior:

Name:	Back Seats.jpg
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	1280538

Name:	Centre dash.jpg
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	1280539

Name:	Front Seats.jpg
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	1280540

Name:	Full Dash.jpg
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	1280541

Only thing still bugging me are the plastic bezels on the arm rests that house the switches for the door locks, windows, etc. They are permanently discoloured from the years of use. I suspect if I had the ambition I could either source some newer ones or take these off and repaint them... but yeah, probably never going to happen. The car is habitable now and that's good enough for me!

After it all she was treated to an exterior wash. Also, I applied some Simoniz scratch remover to the headlights to de-yellow them somewhat. It's a pretty weak compound, so it was perfect for this... probably the equivalent of using the baking soda toothpaste. Didn't make them 'brand new' looking, but it was certainly an improvement over the opaque amber headlights I had before. Wish I had taken a before and after shot, but fatigue had kicked in by that time.

Oh, and anyone following the instructions from the crownvic site for taking apart your dash, they are pretty good, but one difference I noticed between the subject CVPI used in the instructions and my car was that the centre brace/bracket for the dash was not located on the driver's side near the tranny hump, but rather in the dash on the passenger side to the left of the glove box cavity. Here's what that looks like on my aero:

Name:	centre brace.jpg
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	1280537

Can't take the dash off without taking those two bolts off that bracket.

That's all for now.

Comment

Bah, check engine light is back on again. Fuel filter isn't the issue. Still have to wait to see if the injector cleaner will help things out, since Michelle filled up the car without putting in the cleaner. It will be added on the next fill up and hopefully once that tank cycles through it will make some improvements.

I also have to check the spark plugs to make sure they are ok. I know it likely doesn't have anything to do with the code I'm throwing, but they should be checked anyway. Can't hurt!

Once I get some hoist time at the in-laws' farm, I'm going to check all of the ABS stuff to make sure there isn't anything obviously wrong (dirty, cracked, broken, etc) with the sensors or the toothed thingies that the sensors read (see how I like to use technical terms for everything?).

I'm also going to do a rear diff fluid change at some point in the next few weeks. Figure it's due as per the owner's manual and I seriously doubt it was done before I bought the car.

Comment

Go ahead and dump the cleaner in... it will mix as you drive around.

Comment

P0171 and P0174 setting together often indicate a fuel pressure or MAF problem. Generally a car with a MAF problem will run really rough, but a fuel pressure problem can be pretty minor and barely affect performance. Still might be worth checking the fuel pressure, cleaning your MAF if you haven't, and making sure you have a clean air filter in a clean air box. Just some simple, cheap suggestions.

Looks like you have that interior almost clean enough to eat off of! I am also a fan of baby wipes for interior surfaces. They are great for getting sticky coffee and cola residues off of plastic bits, and don't leave behind a bunch of oily Armor-All goo.
                        Back in the saddle again!

2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor in Unimaginative Bureaucratic Brown
                        Bone stock... for now.

Comment

Originally posted by SeanP View Post
                          ... Is there a good troubleshooting procedure for these systems in general? I found one on a Lincoln forum, but I haven't really found anything relating specifically to Crown Vics... though I do imagine the system is pretty much the same. I just want an itemized "do this first, if not this check that next, if not that... etc." Something illustrated would be good since I'm really new to these cars and don't know where anything is or what it even is supposed to look like in most cases. Though I get a little more knowledge every day... ...
                          I came across this link recently:

http://www.lincolnsonline.com/tech/00061.html

Is that the one you're talking about? It only goes up to 1997, but I'm guessing it's similar enough to at least give you some insights. There is a reference to the vent solenoid on the compressor not working (about two-thirds of the way down that page). That would be something on my list. There's also something about a false door open signal resulting in no venting, but I would doubt that here.
                          Last edited by IPreferDIY; 08-07-2016, 01:06 PM.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
                          mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post
                            P0171 and P0174 setting together often indicate a fuel pressure or MAF problem. Generally a car with a MAF problem will run really rough, but a fuel pressure problem can be pretty minor and barely affect performance. Still might be worth checking the fuel pressure, cleaning your MAF if you haven't, and making sure you have a clean air filter in a clean air box. Just some simple, cheap suggestions.

Looks like you have that interior almost clean enough to eat off of! I am also a fan of baby wipes for interior surfaces. They are great for getting sticky coffee and cola residues off of plastic bits, and don't leave behind a bunch of oily Armor-All goo.
                            I have already cleaned the MAF and to be honest, the car doesn't perform that badly. I drove it around for about an hour and a half yesterday and it only stumbled once right after I refueled. The instant fuel economy reads great too, so whatever is causing it isn't affecting the usual driving 99.99999% of the time.

Read the freeze frame data and the most recent MIL happened at a speed of 116km/h, so when I was on the highway. Another weird thing is that the computer always throws P0171 and P0174 twice each, at the same time. So I get four codes, but really only 2. Reviewing the freeze frame data shows identical conditions. Is this typical??

Anyway, I have a dose of injector cleaner running through her veins as we speak. I went with Kleen-Flo on the advice of my parts store. Guy said it worked great. Guess we'll see!

IPreferDIY - thanks for the link! I have seen this before and I intend on following it's processes next time I'm on the farm.

In other news, I'm fairly certain the wires in my trunk are tapped for the four prong trailer plug. My dad looked at it yesterday and he had done something similar in our van back in the day. Connected in the ground and again heard something under the car (sounds like it's near the suspension) click. Didn't solve my check air suspension woes though.

Comment

Back to suspension. Watched Michelle drive by and realized something was saggy (let me be VERY clear that I'm talking about the car).

Looks like the rear suspension finally gave up on me:

Name:	IMG_20160810_194517175.jpg
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	1280553

Sick of this. Ordered a conversion kit (boo, I know). I don't have time or $$$ to dink around with an air ride. I'll do the conversion for less than $200 and keep everything in tact should insanity overcome me and I/future purchaser decide to reinstall the air ride. I know it won't be as good, but that really doesn't matter at this point for this car for me. It will work and I know I won't have to do anything with it likely for the rest of the time I own it. It's not satisfying, but it's functional.

Comment

Suspension kit arrived yesterday from Rockauto. Install happening on Sunday. I'll post the results and then take some pics for the POTM poll (you know, with the ass way less saggy... the Tan Lady wants to look her best).

Comment

Working...
                                X