Use 97 fuel tank in 83?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Use 97 fuel tank in 83?

As I'm making arrangements to see my 97 off on a trailer to be parted and scrapped, I need to know if I should try to work the fuel tank into my deal with the buyer. It's completely rust-free which is surprising given how the rest of the car is.

Will the 97 tank fit in a box that is not a wagon (in my case an 83)? Just talking physical fitment here, I know the fuel lines will be on the wrong side of the tank and sending unit resistance range is wrong.
    If it will - what straps (83, 97, or some custom job) must be used for it to hang and line up correctly with the bolt holes in the 83?

I can get my hands on a box sedan EFI tank cheap, so that's not really the big issue. But it will be effectively free if I can use the 97 tank, so that's why I ask.

I brought this up here, but it seems like it deserves its own discussion...
    Last edited by kishy; 08-15-2017, 11:03 AM.

Current driver: wagon
    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
    | 88 TC | 91 GM
    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
    | Junkyards

On the point about the straps...

From some unscientific catalog skimming it looks like Spectra Premium lists the following for sedans (used Grand Marquis as application):

ST14: 79-85. T-shaped hook ends that directly lock into the mounts on the trunk wall.
    ST32: 86-89. Loop ends that are engaged by a metal dowel in the mount on the trunk wall.
    ST127: 90-00. Loop ends like ST32. Longer than ST32.

97 fuel tank is larger than 83 fuel tank. Therefore, 83 straps will be too short to fit 97 tank.

83 uses the straps with the T-hook end, so 97 straps can't be used on 83 car.

It would appear that a custom made strap, starting with most of a 97 strap and the end of an 83 strap, would be needed for this. As long as the 83 strap bolt holes are in the same spot or at least far enough forward to clear the bigger tank, it should work.

The big question, though, is if the tank fits in place. Was there any adjustment to the shape or placement of the trunk wall? I can't see it if there is a difference.
    Last edited by kishy; 08-16-2017, 01:59 PM.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
    | Junkyards

Comment

Mr Bean has a '07 tank in his '85 MGM, but I didn't see much detail in his RR thread that might help you out.
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

It is a late model frame that fit the tank.
        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

The tank doesn't attach to the frame though, so that probably doesn't have a lot of bearing on it. The tank hooks to the body.

I wonder if you couldn't just take the pins and weld them in place to duplicate the T style strap.

At what point is this more trouble than getting a tank that fits the car though?
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            The tank doesn't attach to the frame though, so that probably doesn't have a lot of bearing on it. The tank hooks to the body.

I wonder if you couldn't just take the pins and weld them in place to duplicate the T style strap.

At what point is this more trouble than getting a tank that fits the car though?
            Well, "trouble"...is all relative I guess.

The eventual goal is to EFI-ify my factory carb '83. That means buying a tank, buying a pump and hanger, fuel lines and so on.

I already have the 97 tank, complete with known working pump/sending unit. And since it's a digidash car, it has the reversed resistance range (I think?), which doesn't have the right range of values per my understanding but at least goes the right direction. The sending unit in the 83 currently is dead.

The straps from both the 83 and 97 are good. Therefore I could just cut them as needed, rivet together, add some rubber insulation (belt or hose material?) and presto, I've got my straps...

It would be easier make a few credit card payments and bam, done, direct fit parts. But I already have the 97 stuff, so that's why I want to know.

A major shutdown is going to be if the diameter of the filler neck is different. If so, I'd say that's a showstopper 100%.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
            | Junkyards

Comment

Working...
            X