No announcement yet.

The Crown Shit. The never ending story.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check the harness connector at the back of the engine where it feeds down to the trans too. I've had that get crusty. My own car randomly does nothing when I try to crank it, wiggling the wire at the solenoid makes it go.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

figures that the car wasn't completely in park. fired up immediately this morning. bled the brakes and got it pulled out of the shop. going to pick it up later in the day and take it home. fingers crossed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Ray

1997 Crown Victoria LX "Crown Shit"/"Crown Marquis" SENT TOI SCRAP
      1986 Ford Mustang Notchback

Comment

it's still at the shop... went to pick it up a couple hours ago and wouldn't crank again. it was started up four times prior to this.

Sucks to say i'm tempted to give up with this thing but I just might have to soon.
        Ray

Comment

The greatest successes are usually found at times when failure seems like the only option. Someone famous said that.

Will it start in neutral?

If not, give the starter a knock with a hammer. Starter may have gone on vacation.
          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post

Will it start in neutral?
            didn't start in neutral, nor in any other gear

Ray

Comment

Neutral safety switch... adjusted that this morning and fired right up. rough idle until warmed up, brakes are still squishy as hell, and doesn't seem to like too much gas, and the speedo still doesn't work. I know why the speedo isn't working so i'll get on that soon enough.

but it doesn't want to accelerate when i give it gas. i'll post the video i took this morning when i get some internet, i'm just thinking it's because of the open header but i'm not sure. the car isn't throwing codes at me either.
              Ray

Comment

it's not the best but that's what our shop welder could do with the gasket on there. actually fixed my problem of it struggling to accelerate. still not perfect though, doesn't really like to rev a lot. did a little bit just to get someone to open up the door so i could pull onto my spot again and almost stalled out and started blowing smoke until that little bit cleared up. i'm sure it's just from the passenger side still being open header.

going to bleed the brakes one more time as well, still super mushy and to the floor. which brings up the question, is there some sort of "bleeder mode" with these cars?

Ray

Comment

stumped on this, i've bled the brakes three times and the pedal is still soft and soggy.
                  Ray

Comment

May be bad seals in the master cylinder. May also be an air bubble in the master if the fluid was too low and sucked air into the system. Also, if it's the stock system, the pedal may never be firm. The 88 I had always had some give to the pedal even with all things in good working order. If you can't build up pressure with the vehicle off and make the pedal hard to press, then there's probably air in the system, bad seals in the master, or a hose about to blow out.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

gonna pull off a junkyard MC in the next week or so, but being in high school, my spring break is all of next week.

Ray

Comment

although the MC did run dry when the first line went out, then the second time, and the first time i bled the brakes, but even then I hadn't run the car until I was 70% sure everything was good. After that I don't believe the MC ran dry.
                        Ray

Comment

If it stops good and the pedal doesn't hit the floor... It's probably fine. I always had about an inch of squish in the pedal in the 88 I had but I could still lock up all 4 wheels if it stood on it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          Originally posted by gadget73
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

that's the thing, i couldn't lock the wheels. Pedal started to get worse actually after bleeding it. Just picked up a new MC and i'll clean it up and put it on tomorrow. picked it up off a 97 GMQ.

maybe i'll start calling this thing the "Crown Marquis" thanks to all the GMQ parts have been thrown on this thing.
                            Ray

Comment

If you have ABS breaks you have to follow the Ford bleed procedure or you will never get the brakes working properly trust me been there done that.

Comment

Originally posted by Rodentkiller View Post
                                If you have ABS breaks you have to follow the Ford bleed procedure or you will never get the brakes working properly trust me been there done that.
                                abs never activated while the mc was dry so i'm not sure how well that affects that

Ray

Comment

Working...
                                X