No announcement yet.

kishy's 1985 Country Squire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Id recommend some sort of flat putty blade attachment to the end of a sazall to get the windshield out. Oh and lots of lubrication.

When my windshield needed to be resealed in the Crown Victoria (back in 2010) that is the tool that was used. Worked like a champ.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
      Id recommend some sort of flat putty blade attachment to the end of a sazall to get the windshield out. Oh and lots of lubrication.

When my windshield needed to be resealed in the Crown Victoria (back in 2010) that is the tool that was used. Worked like a champ.
      Yeeeeeaaaahhhh, I've seen videos of that and it looks like it makes super quick work of the job particularly at the bottom. Problem is that as soon as the tool starts to look appropriate for that job (long enough), the price shoots into outer space.

I'm not quite sure how I'd make something equivalent either. Rivet something to a saw blade?

I do have a cordless reciprocating saw so I'm halfway there. Just need the blade.

Looking at my options, I could get something like a 2" scraper blade for 10 bucks, not too bad. But it only sticks about 4-5 inches out of the saw, so I'd need to build an extension since it seems like they exist(ed) but can't be easily sourced.
      Last edited by kishy; 10-11-2017, 09:00 AM.

Current driver: wagon
      Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
      | 88 TC | 91 GM
      Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
      Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
      | Junkyards

Comment

I also don't like the possibility of cracking the glass by power tool.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
          I also don't like the possibility of cracking the glass by power tool.
          I would have figured scratching it to be the bigger concern, but I guess neither is really ideal.

This would do the job: https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/bo...-removal-tool/
          But the issue is that shaft extension between the saw and the blade. He didn't happen to mention if that was an off-the-shelf item, or if his saw is just that way normally, or what exactly he did to make it...metal rod, squared off at both ends with tapped holes, requires tools to make that I don't have.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
          | Junkyards

Comment

I understand the need to do the job cheap. I would strongly encourage you to have the jy to pull it for you. The cost of a new windshield installed is not that more money and so much less work. I have broken a few of used windshields. A couple was by chipping the edge when taking it out. One was at the end of the installation. I have also used a release agent which is a aerosol solvent which helps soften the old seal. When you add the cost of the tools required : Trim removal tool, $10, windshield removal kit $38, release agent $11, new seal $6 extra sealant $6. = $71. If you get frustrated enough and give up, you have wasted the money on supplies. Bite the bullet, have it done right the fist time.
            Last edited by Mainemantom; 10-11-2017, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
              I understand the need to do the job cheap. I would strongly encourage you to have the jy to pull it for you. The cost of a new windshield installed is not that more money and so much less work. I have broken a few of used windshields. A couple was by chipping the edge when taking it out. One was at the end of the installation. I have also used a release agent which is a aerosol solvent which helps soften the old seal. When you add the cost of the tools required : windshield removal kit $38, release agent $11, new seal $6 extra sealant $6. = $61 and that is wholesale cost. If you get frustrated enough and give up, you have wasted the money on supplies. Bite the bullet, have it done right the fist time.
              Not an option. No local yards pull windshields anymore, I tried.

New windshield $185 for the glass.
              Over $300 installed and I have to bring the car to them.

Can't do Safelite because I can't go to the US with the car until it has stickers and it can't get those until it passes safety which it can't do until it has a windshield.

DIY is the only option. I can break 6 windshields before I get to the cost of one installed (excluding materials cost, but presumably I'm breaking it before I use them). I'm pretty sure I can pull it off at least once out of six.
              Last edited by kishy; 10-11-2017, 11:26 AM.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
              | Junkyards

Comment

I had a local dude replace the windshield in my explorer, he used the putty blade attached to a sawsall, it was amazing how well that worked.

No need to custom make one, you can buy them:

https://www.zoro.com/milwaukee-scrap...hoCBNYQAvD_BwE

If you're worried about the glass, maybe bring some thin styrene to put between the blade/saw and the glass as you go around, a cheap for sale sign would work well.

Comment

Could you pay a glass shop installer to pull and install a used windshield for you on their own time ?
                  If not, at least get some release agent for the old seal. Work slow. Two people make things allot easier.
                  Wish you the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Birdofprey View Post
                    I had a local dude replace the windshield in my explorer, he used the putty blade attached to a sawsall, it was amazing how well that worked.

No need to custom make one, you can buy them:

https://www.zoro.com/milwaukee-scrap...hoCBNYQAvD_BwE

If you're worried about the glass, maybe bring some thin styrene to put between the blade/saw and the glass as you go around, a cheap for sale sign would work well.
                    I was eyeing that exact blade actually, but they don't seem to be long enough. I can't see getting my saw in between the dash and windshield and the blade being able to even touch the adhesive, nevermind go through it. The purpose-made windshield removal ones are easily twice as long.

Good point about having something as a protective layer between the blade and the glass. Can't scratch it if it doesn't touch it.

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                    Could you pay a glass shop installer to pull and install a used windshield for you on their own time ?
                    If not, at least get some release agent for the old seal. Work slow. Two people make things allot easier.
                    Wish you the best.
                    The logistics of that get messy because I'd be removing the windshield in the US and bringing it back to Canada. I don't know anyone who works at a Detroit glass shop nor is it particularly easy to cheap to call them to ask if they offer that sort of service. Furthermore I'm paying two people if I do that, because removal and install are occurring in two different countries.

Two people is the plan, though. Tempted to start with the trashed one in my wagon, since it's already garbage, to get the technique down. I would tape the glass on both sides so it doesn't come apart working on it.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                    | Junkyards

Comment

All Star Auto Glass was the place that replaced the windshield on my '89 back in 2011 or 2012, for under $150.
                      It's a little hole-in-the-wall place on 8 Mile, East of Dequindre (3/4mi West of Ryan). If I were to go there again I would remove the trim on the inside around the windshield, but other than that I had no issues with them.

Working on the junk windshield first makes sense. Although I'm not sure if it would be susceptible to damage that would expose the interior of the car to the elements.

Edit: That's probably not an option? You would have to pass inspection before you could drive the car over here, and the current windshield would probably cause you to fail inspection.
                      Last edited by VicCrownVic; 10-11-2017, 12:43 PM.
                      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
                        All Star Auto Glass was the place that replaced the windshield on my '89 back in 2011 or 2012, for under $150.
                        It's a little hole-in-the-wall place on 8 Mile, East of Dequindre (3/4mi West of Ryan). If I were to go there again I would remove the trim on the inside around the windshield, but other than that I had no issues with them.

Working on the junk windshield first makes sense. Although I'm not sure if it would be susceptible to damage that would expose the interior of the car to the elements.

Edit: That's probably not an option? You would have to pass inspection before you could drive the car over here, and the current windshield would probably cause you to fail inspection.
                        Yeah, no-go for that reason. Cost wise you Americans luck out. Even with the exchange rate I'd come out ahead if I could get it done on your side of the border.

Wagon is living under a carport right now. Not a very good carport, and still exposed, but it'll be more or less kinda protected.

If I feel particularly motivated to try this out I'll give it a shot by the weekend. Saturday is the target day to go scope out the ones in the yard though. Fact is they come up often enough that I won't cry too much if my first extraction fails. Just as long as, if I pull it successfully, I don't break it after paying for it...

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                        | Junkyards

Comment

I think a bunch of room is opened up for access to the lower windshield area if you remove the dash pad. May be enough for that blade to do its job?
                          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                            I think a bunch of room is opened up for access to the lower windshield area if you remove the dash pad. May be enough for that blade to do its job?
                            Looking at a 90 donor, so dash pad isn't removable.

I do agree that it would help with a 79-89 though.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                            | Junkyards

Comment

Just do what everyone else does and smash every part that even remotely close to the part you want out of the way.

(kidding)

Comment

Originally posted by Birdofprey View Post
                                Just do what everyone else does and smash every part that even remotely close to the part you want out of the way.

(kidding)
                                I'll smash that pesky glass on the front of the passenger cabin, to make more room so I can cut through the bottom windshield seal!

As an aside, I'm guilty of destroying things to get to things I need, but I use logic and reason when deciding to do so. If whatever thing in my way is already trashed, I'm not going out of my way to preserve it (water/weather damaged door cards being the main one that comes to mind).

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                                | Junkyards

Comment

Working...
                                X